Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Confirmation of non-liaibility for national or military service

Discussion in 'Overseas Section' started by Ninja_Stoker, Mar 23, 2019.

1. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

The onus on the individual to provide evidence that they are not liable for military service in their country of residence as the UK Armed Forces cannot undertake costly and time consuming checks on their behalf.

The Royal Navy Perspective:

Country of residence, Military perspective:

From the perspective of an overseas applicant, with no former military service:

Example letter:

Bottom line - No proof, no join.

• Like Like x 1
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  2. FEEJEE

FEEJEE New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Good Info - Cheers

3. Claddagh

Claddagh Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    @Ninja_Stoker Hi there, my son has just passed PRMC, he is from South Africa where there hasn't been conscription for over 20 years now. Is this letter required? Just had a heart attack when I saw this thread as I haven't seen anything prior to this :(
    Thank you

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

It's not necessarily about conscription, it's also about written confirmation the individual has no former military service & not subject to recall in times of national emergency (reserve liability).

It is usually required for security clearance for commonwealth or dual nationals in order to get around the 5 years UK residency requirement prior to joining the service.

If the processing AFCO haven't asked for it, when a Security Clearance application is completed & submitted, then take it as read as not required.

5. Claddagh

Claddagh Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    @Ninja_Stoker Thanks for clarifying that. Nope not a peep about it from AFCO. He passed PRMC last week and time is ticking along for the SC and his visa -nailbiting-

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Is he back in SA, waiting for Security Clearance?

If so, I'd be inclined to message the AFCO and ask " Following succesful completion of selection and submission of my completed online Security Clearance application dd/mm/yyyy, as an overseas applicant, I write to request confirmation there are no outstanding actions required by me in order to expedite my entry date into recruit training".

If anything is required, it should give them a nudge or if not, it'll satisfy your worry.

7. Claddagh

Claddagh Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Nope-he is in the UK. He is going into AFCO today to try and get some clarity

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Please let us know how he gets on as it may well be things have changed but equally it may also be the case that a residency waiver has not been requested by error.

9. Claddagh

Claddagh Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Well, he went in but his Recruitment Officer will only be in on Wednesday. He has received an RT date on the portal for the 8th July so now I'm super stressed -nailbiting-;)

10. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Recruits have sometimes deferred their RT start date on the morning they were due to travel to CTCRM. Usually this is due to an injury and nobody should think about starting RT with an existing injury.

Recruit Troops are currently starting every two weeks. Your lad's Careers Adviser will set him straight about what to do.

11. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

He may already have security clearance (or a waiver granted) as they usually don't allocate start dates for overseas applicants until SC (or a waiver) is granted.

He can check simply by logging in to the National Security Vetting portal: https://www.nsv.mod.uk/Login.aspx?ReturnUrl=/

If it says "complete" he's sorted already. If it says "In progress" he may need a waiver or it could have already been waived if the basic checks are complete. If his Careers Adviser is out of office, the Office Manager can check.

Alternatively he can ring NSV Customer Services to ask, but be aware it can take an age to get someone to answer as they get very busy, so an early morning call is recommended: 01904 662644

• Like Like x 1
  12. Claddagh

Claddagh Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    @Ninja_Stoker Thank you very much! I checked his security clearance, it still shows in progress. He has mailed his recruitment officer but will go in and see him first thing on Wednesday morning. You guys are stars! Feel a bit like my arms are chopped off being so far away

• Hoofin Hoofin x 1