Confused about certain things about 32 Weeks in Lympstone

abigor

Reaction score
I have a couple of questions I would really appreciate if someone answered.

1) Can someone give me a brief very quick outline of how many hours are typically for a normal day spent training in Lympstone alltogether (physical, learning langauages, anything else etc.)??

2) Do you have to access to the internet in Lympstone or is it not available? And if so, are phones allowed for internet/calls etc.??

3) For the PMRC, I am seeing different outlines for that the tests are: so you have the two rusn in the beginning, one with the group and other fastest as you can and have to finish by the time limit. Then you have the pushups, pullups, situps to bleep etc. and the swimming and stuff, but I have heard people talking about some sort of hill runs? And this is where certain peoples legs give out? Am I missing something guys? And are there times swimming standards and stuff?

4) How does the pay work when you are in Lympstone? I suppose you give them bank details etc. and they pay you monthly?

5) Do you pay for accommodation and food at lympstone that they take out your pay?

THANKYOU guys. Much appreciated :)

Caversham

RM Commando, Crossed The Bar 13/12/2020
Reaction score
Broadly speaking:

1. No such thing as an average day, as initially you will be up all hours cleaning and preparing kit, but normally 08.00 to around 17.30 give or take 30 minutes either side. On exercise 24 hours!

2. There is some internet access and you are allowed phones at the TT’s discretion.

3. You are nearly there with the PRMC. A quick search and look at the various diaries will tell you all. Hill sprints are recommended in preparation training for PRMC. Have a look at @arny01’s plan. Follow that and it will put you in good stead.

4. Correct with your assumption.

5. Again, correct with your assumption

Others can fill in any gaps, but generally speaking, that’s it.

Good luck

Alan

HMW1722

Reaction score
Hi, My son is currently at Lympstone about week 20.

1) I don't think there is a typical working day! I think he gets up (when at CTC) at 4.45am and keeps going until all his admin is done. The early weeks he was getting 2 to 3 hours sleep only - if he was lucky. Things settle down a bit as you get quicker at doing your tasks and are allowed to use the washing machine but I still think the nights are short. He was on exercise last week for 4 nights and again I think sleep was in short supply. He seems to have a bit more leisure time at the weekends these days.
2) He has his phone with him but tends to only ring at weekends. Wi-fi is patchy.
3) I think the toughest part of PMRC is the bottom field test. My son said the TT find your weakness and push you to beyond your previously known limits. There was an odd number on my son's course and he ended up without a partner for the carries and had to bunny hop time & time again until he was unsure whether his legs would support him when he stood up. He was sure that if he was a natural bunny hopper, he would have been given something else to do!
The swimming test isn't that tough - just a couple of lengths of breaststroke. You do have to jump off a board and collect a brick off the bottom of the pool.
There is a section on PMRC diaries on this forum - which will give you a more detailed account of what happens.
4) You get paid on the last working day of the month, directly into your bank account. Deductions have been made for food & accommodation.

Good luck with your training and your application

Caversham

Reaction score
My apologies, I should have made my post more clear regarding Number 1. The normal timetable day is around 07.45 to around 17.00. However, you will be up several hours early to shower, shave, have breakfast and then clean the accommodation and get ready for the first detail of the day. At the end of the working day, then it’s mealtimes, followed by cleaning, washing clothes, ironing and getting ready for whatever the following day brings, often as not into the small hours.

In short, nothing like an average day in civvy street!

Alan

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
How much is deducted do you know?
After deductions, for the first six months, the average recruit gets about £880 a month going to bank, depending on tax code & whether you own or are buying a house.

abigor

Reaction score
My apologies, I should have made my post more clear regarding Number 1. The normal timetable day is around 07.45 to around 17.00. However, you will be up several hours early to shower, shave, have breakfast and then clean the accommodation and get ready for the first detail of the day. At the end of the working day, then it’s mealtimes, followed by cleaning, washing clothes, ironing and getting ready for whatever the following day brings, often as not into the small hours.

In short, nothing like an average day in civvy street!

Alan

Thankyou!

You covered everything, MUCH appreciated :)

abigor

Reaction score
Hi, My son is currently at Lympstone about week 20.

1) I don't think there is a typical working day! I think he gets up (when at CTC) at 4.45am and keeps going until all his admin is done. The early weeks he was getting 2 to 3 hours sleep only - if he was lucky. Things settle down a bit as you get quicker at doing your tasks and are allowed to use the washing machine but I still think the nights are short. He was on exercise last week for 4 nights and again I think sleep was in short supply. He seems to have a bit more leisure time at the weekends these days.
2) He has his phone with him but tends to only ring at weekends. Wi-fi is patchy.
3) I think the toughest part of PMRC is the bottom field test. My son said the TT find your weakness and push you to beyond your previously known limits. There was an odd number on my son's course and he ended up without a partner for the carries and had to bunny hop time & time again until he was unsure whether his legs would support him when he stood up. He was sure that if he was a natural bunny hopper, he would have been given something else to do!
The swimming test isn't that tough - just a couple of lengths of breaststroke. You do have to jump off a board and collect a brick off the bottom of the pool.
There is a section on PMRC diaries on this forum - which will give you a more detailed account of what happens.
4) You get paid on the last working day of the month, directly into your bank account. Deductions have been made for food & accommodation.

Good luck with your training and your application

Ahhh ok very detailed thankyou for your insight. Sounds like your son is a beast.

Sleeping sounds rough *text deleted*... but its all worth it.

abigor

Reaction score
When you complete the PMRC, is there like a specific time of the year where the new 32 week course takes place? So depending on when you finish, you will have to wait longer or shorter until the time of the year is for the 32 week course to start and enter Lympstone, or does it not work like that?

Thanks guys.

Caversham

Reaction score
When you complete the PMRC, is there like a specific time of the year where the new 32 week course takes place? So depending on when you finish, you will have to wait longer or shorter until the time of the year is for the 32 week course to start and enter Lympstone, or does it not work like that?

Thanks guys.
Depending on numbers, RT is normally every two weeks. However, at times this has been extended to four weeks, when there are insufficient numbers to fill a Troop, normally 40 plus.

Alan

BM1995

Reaction score
Think people have answered most of your questions but in relation to the PRMC - bear crawls, both forward and backwards up hills was a main thing my partner had to work on for PRMC and bunny hops too!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Confused about application Overseas Section 1
Mrsmop Confused Parents & Partners 13
S Confused, Overseas Section 2