Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Constant aching pain in knee

Discussion in 'Common Training Injuries' started by smashlegs, Jun 25, 2020.

1. smashlegs

smashlegs Active Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I’ve decided to stop running for a week and stretch for an hour a day as I have this constant aching pain in and around my knee, I can’t pinpoint the pain at all and it seemed to only come on after I ran. 3days in and I’m not running and it seems to be worse at night, and somewhat bad when I wake up. It almost completely goes after I stretch for an hour but it does come back, mainly at night. It’s just woke me up now and I’m not going to lie the pain was pretty unbearable so I’ve had to take some paracetamol. My knee also felt somewhat weak when I was just walking.

I’ve had a really long look on google but I can’t really find anything that sounds like what it is. The common answer is runners knee, but I’m not entirely sure if it is that.

Obviously with current situations I would rather stay away from the GPs, not only that id rather not have it on my records just encase, and try sort this out myself.

So what I’m really asking is if anyone has had this, or knows what it is and if there is anything else I can do to get it too heal?

2. Johnwayne

Johnwayne Active Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Morning mate,

Ive not had any kneed troubles but a few weeks ago I hurt my back and couldn’t even walk to bed.. I had to crawls. Thought it was game over for me.
    I was in the same boat about not wanting to see my GP as I’ve already passed medicals and have my VPJFT next week.
    I called up the NHS, was prescribed Naproxen (anti-inflammatory) over the phone. I took the week off, constantly stretching and taking my meds. 6 days after the injury I started doing some very light training again and two days after that did a full workout.

My recommendation is get some anti inflammatories, rest and stretching for a few days. Get ice packs on the knee and elevate it while resting. Alternate the cold with warm water bottle. A combination of those things and just constantly telling myself that this was just temporary and I’d be back in no time seemed to have helped me.

What I will say is this. I did not want to take that week off and I kept trying to find ways to move more which isn’t always the best idea. Got told off by my wife a couple of times haha. But the week off was the best thing that could’ve happened.

Good luck brother and be careful. I’m sure it will get better soon.

3. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

Knee pain can be a symptom of many different conditions. @physiomum may spot this and offer qualified advice.

I’ve torn my meniscus and ruptured my ACL in the past. Both occasions my symptoms were similar to what you have described.

You may have a case of tendonitis or it may be something significantly more serious. Contact your GP if rest and anti inflammatory medication doesn’t help. If it feels unstable, gives way when you try to stand, unable to straighten or locks it is imperative you get it checked so not to hamper/damage yourself more.

4. Langa please?

Langa please? Venerated Contributor

As above, no medical expert, but symptoms of pain worse in the morning which eases after stretching sounds like some form of tendonitis from my experience.

Your calf and hanstring both cross the knee joint so stretching both may help ease some pain. Anti-inflammatories and ice would also help relieve the discomfort a bit if it is tendonitis!

5. Twiglet

Twiglet New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I’ve had a similar injury and know others who have too.

A few years ago I had paid on the outside of my knee cap and that was caused by a very tight glute and weak IT band. I used a massage ball to release the tension in my glute (very painful) and did some band work to strength my IT band and hip flexors.

I’ve just come back from a knee injury where the pain was at the front of my knee and moved towards the quadricep tendon that attaches to my knee. The remedy was to increase strength in my hammies and glutes and strengthen the knee as a whole. Split squats, single leg DL and single leg glute bridges were prescribed and they worked a treat! I also iced my knee after the exercises. 10 weeks later I’m back to running, albeit at a snails pace.

Apart from deadlifts I’ve neglected my glutes and hammies so much. I struggle to activate them when I deadlift and have suffered stacks of injuries because I’m very quad and hip flexor dominant when I run...

Hope that helps a tad.

• Like Like x 1
  6. smashlegs

smashlegs Active Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Glad you got yours sorted, injuries are so frustrating!

I’ll keep on top of the stretching and take some anti inflammatory like you said, just hope it’s sorted in a weeks time as I want to get back to running ASAP! I’m tempted to keep on top of the Bodyweight movements as they don’t really engage the knee but I don’t know if this is wise to do or not?

7. smashlegs

smashlegs Active Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Sounds nasty that, thankfully this morning after I went back to sleep it’s been fine but I’m still being cautious! Pain killers instantly sorted it last night so hopefully it’s just healing and it’s got past it’s worse stage now. It felt like i couldn’t put weight on it last night but that may have been because I had just woken up and my body would’ve been repairing and it was extremely warm last night, both of which increase inflammation. Just praying it sorts itself out soon!

8. smashlegs

smashlegs Active Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Hopefully it is just tendonitis! I’ll continue to stretch and do RICE

9. smashlegs

smashlegs Active Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    To be honest I wouldn’t know if I have a muscular imbalance as I used to weightlift a lot and squats was a regular thing, but I’ve not touch weights in a while so the strength would’ve definitely plummeted. Deadlifts is something I stayed away from though as it takes your lower back completely out and that’s just not ideal for me when I’m wanting to be running consistently. Would Single Leg Squats or Squats do the job?

10. Twiglet

Twiglet New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Fair one.

I’d def give the Bulgarian splits squats a whirl and lunges. That will hit your glutes, quads and help strengthen and stabilise the knee. Forgot to mention box step ups were prescribed as well.

Just a side note. I have a good friend who is a long distance runner with a few races for GB under his belt. He swears by the methodology that running is a strength based exercise and that stacks of running related injuries can be prevented by strength training so that your muscles and tendons can deal with the pressure exerted by pounding the tarmac. He’s not powerlifting of course and the strength sessions don’t interfere with his running but it’s a key part of his training.

I guess everyone is different but for the majority of my injuries I’ve rehabbed by doing strength training.

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  11. physiomum

physiomum Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Parent
    Hi @smashlegs
    From the quality and behaviour of your pain and the fact you can’t locate a source makes me think this could be a referral from your hip joint or lumbar spine.My hunch is lumbar spine.
    Lying on your back with your knees bent up and feet flat can you roll your knees from side to side equal range and comfortably? How does it feel when you do a really good quads and hip flexor stretch?
    The advice re anti inflammatories and easing off training a bit is good in the short term. If you want to give me more info and have a more detailed q and a PM me

• Like Like x 7
  12. smashlegs

smashlegs Active Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Apart from the movements you’ve listed is there any more that your mate do regularly, I totally agree that running needs strength otherwise your legs just can’t drive you at fast paces, my problem in the past when I was doing some weight training on the legs with some runs was that doms was always a factor after those weighted sessions and it meant I couldn’t run or run as normal. Possibly I was doing too much volume and intensity?

13. smashlegs

smashlegs Active Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Hi, I’ll drop you a message, thanks

14. Twiglet

Twiglet New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I do a lot of exercises for my hip flexors using bands and use the adductor + abductor machine in the gym. I also train my legs unilaterally, so each leg independently and because of that stick to split squats, lunges, step ups, straight leg deadlifts and single leg glute bridges. The lunges you can make more difficult by doing reverse elevated lunges.

With regards to DOMS, it’s bound to occur when you start training legs again but after a while you’ll get stronger and adapt. Just keep the sessions fairly light... maybe 60% of 1RM.

Ultimately you have to do what feels best for you matey. Consistency is the key and you’ll eventually find what works and what stuff you can sack off.

• Like Like x 1