Contact Lenses on Field Ex

kimbo96

Reaction score
Have any current recruits or serving Royals got any experience on wearing dailies on field exercise?
Was wondering how you manage wearing them whilst on sentry or if you were ambushed for example :)

Grey man

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
My boss on my last tour (Afghanistan) wore contact lens. He kept on top of his eye hygiene and evidently had no issues. He took a six month supply with him and had fresh boxes sent out at regular intervals.

When I joined all, Ahem..., a few years ago recruits were required to wear issued specs. Unsure what the CTC ruling is these days. Perhaps @The guide will know.

Top tip- Have your specs/prescription goggles to hand at all times : You really don't want to be playing with lenses when there are more pressing issues.

Last edited:

The guide

Careers Advisor
Reaction score
Issue specs it is, for the very reasons you mentioned, and also availability when away (which is do,able but the old Joe 90,s are a good solid fall back (though a bit better now than the old issue specs as about 10 frames available, still retro though ;))...In training, to be honest, it,s easier and cheaper..contacts are provided unless a medical need..so take a cheap pair of glasses for the field then get some service one,s issued.

Recruits are able to go via Sickbay for them - Hospital appointments office - apart from that you can get specs voucher for DSE use (display screen equipment) as incumbent on the employer to provide the correct H&S equipment and glasses fall under that , but there are set criteria.

Grey man

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Usual common sense approach of keeping clean before touching them really, take some eye drops which will soothe and cleanse etc. Another tip is to take a plastic camping mirror with you so you can actually take them out when admin’ing yourself.

Or just cut about with your eyes closed the whole time, there's not much to see and do anyway.

Hunter71

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
My nod wears contacts and hasn’t had any eye input while at CTC. ?

Hunter71

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I see! Unfortunately my son is still too scared to ask for things.

Grey man

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
We are still paying for his :mad::mad:
It’s not school. Time he grows up.

Sorry- I edited this to add- No harm meant, I just would encourage any parent to promote that their child develops some independence. Unit life is quite different than CTC & being tied to the apron string won’t help.

He can buy his own lens- he has a full time job now :D

Last edited:

kimbo96

Reaction score
You’re better off without the pussers specs - one size fits no one doesn’t really work when you’re running around trying to nav and they become fogged up patio windows on your grid.
I’ll be wearing contacts as much as possible for sure

The prospect of wearing these isn’t exactly encouraging me either!

Attachments

Hunter71

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
It’s not school. Time he grows up.

Sorry- I edited this to add- No harm meant, I just would encourage any parent to promote that their child develops some independence. Unit life is quite different than CTC & being tied to the apron string won’t help.

He can buy his own lens- he has a full time job now :D
He pays for our Netflix. :)

Grey man

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Whilst it’s in my head, it would be a shame not to spin a little dit. A few years ago this same boss was on a jump course in the states. Seeing the New Jersey countryside laid out so fetchingly all around and under you is a sight to behold.

When you free fall you are in charge of monitoring your altitude by checking your wrist altimeter, responsible for pulling your parachute, navigating it and landing. Then further down the line, you’ll be jumping with others. All of these responsibilities require not only good decision making, but the ability to see clearly.

Something the boss didn’t have as he intentionally left his lens out. He naively convinced himself a blurry skydive would be less terrifying. How he landed safely, I’ll never know! We completed 8 free falls in total and 8 times in a row this Capt would quickly fumble about to put in his lens on the DZ before he thought anyone would clock him. Each time a big American jump master looking on said to us “Gee.. that guy sure does get emotional after a jump”

He assumed our blind officer was crying and wiping his tears away after each jump.

A country sleeps safe.

Last edited:

sharpe

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Whilst it’s in my head, it would be a shame not to spin a little dit. A few years ago this same boss was on a HALO course in the states. Seeing the New Jersey countryside laid out so fetchingly all around and under you is a sight to behold.

When you free fall you are in charge of monitoring your altitude by checking your wrist altimeter, responsible for pulling your parachute, navigating it and landing. Then further down the line, you’ll be jumping with others. All of these responsibilities require not only good decision making, but the ability to see clearly.

Something the boss didn’t have as he intentionally left his lens out. He naively convinced himself a blurry skydive would be less terrifying. How he landed safely, I’ll never know! We completed 8 free falls in total and 8 times in a row this Capt would quickly fumble about to put in his lens on the DZ before he thought anyone would clock him. Each time a big American jump master looking on said to us “Gee.. that guy sure does get emotional after a jump”

He assumed our blind officer was crying and wiping his tears away after each jump.

A country sleeps safe.[/QUOTE

Geespt

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I used to wear contacts in the field! All i’d say is keep on top of eye admin and clean hands properly before taking them out/putting in, carry liquid and any spares.

Take an old pair of glasses too!

I tend to of found during the day I’d use contacts for any daytime lessons and then take them out just before last light. Then use glasses for your harbour and sentry routines mainly for phase one.

In phase two of training you’ll be issued NVG’s for more tactical exercises and you can adjust the lenses on these and they kinda acted like glasses! Without them you’ll not see anything anyway and with it being more tactical you’ll sleep/occupy a harbour through the day and then move at night more often anyway.

kimbo96

Reaction score
Thank you for that info @Geespt, I never took NVGs into account but that’s great to know

What you say about operating more often at night, I don’t think it’s worth getting LASIK with the risks of night glare which would be a showstopper in those situations

Last edited:

MassamanDave

Reaction score
In training at the moment and wear dailies just for the ease! In the field I always take eye drops, spare lenses and specs.

Definitley not good drills but managed to get 5 days of use from one pair of dailies during hunters moon.