Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Contact Lenses on Field Ex

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by kimbo96, Mar 24, 2020.

1. kimbo96

kimbo96 Active Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Fair play, 5 days with dailies must of been hellish :confused:

• Seen Seen x 1
  2. Apex

Apex Former RM Commando

I think you will re define what “hellish” is once you join.
    Whilst not disputing the evidence of others on here I have worn contact lenses for extended periods in the UK and overseas without any problems. Then again I've known them to cause trouble at home. They were awful things in the 1990s. I wouldn't entertain daily disposables in the field though, especially during training. They are too risky to eye health due to dust, dirt and general faffiness. Stop being vain lad. No one will care how you look.Lots of lads wear glasses while serving (of all sizes/shapes) - no one really comments.
    If you have to wear glasses then wear glasses. Do as the instructions of your TT say and to the letter. You’ll be issued glasses in training-wear them.If you don't feel comfortable either wear glasses in public until you do, learn to accept the discomfort or cancel your application. If wearing glasses puts you off joining, that's maybe a good thing. Maybe you aren't cut out to obey orders which is, after all, a marines job, at almost every level. Good luck to you.

3. kimbo96

kimbo96 Active Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    I’m sure I will find out what “hellish” really is if I get to that stage! Thanks for your advice, I’m fine wearing glasses, and I won’t be cancelling my application.

4. Apex

Apex Former RM Commando

Good lad. I think you are getting a bit over excitable about wearing glasses. Honestly no body will look at you twice. Saves you faffing when bumped at 0200 on ex. Unit is a different story. I remember a big Scottish Major called Garry McKenna that wore glasses. Big aggressive and notoriously clumsy brute. Our OC once expressed his fear that he would "come back to camp one day with a broken leg." The CO said to have responded: "You must not worry, If he does, it will not be his own."

Lad, top tip. Maybe change your avatar as you haven’t earned the G&L yet. Best of luck kiddo. Work hard and you’ll love it. Keep those eyes clean! You’ll not be issued any new ones!

Aye

• Like Like x 1
    • Seen Seen x 1
  5. kimbo96

kimbo96 Active Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    I’ll bear that in mind, cheers.

True, I didn’t think of that when I put it up, but I’ll change it now you’ve mentioned it.

6. Soap_TNDO

Soap_TNDO Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Just a thought to add to this, which has been a concern of mine whilst going through my application...surely glasses would steam up/get soaked or fall off during assault courses or exercises and could impact timing/shooting/vision etc? I would have thought it would be more practical for longer term lenses?

7. Soap_TNDO

Soap_TNDO Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    doesn’t need adding? I thought the whole point of a forum is to discuss things...I agree with your reasoning but you don’t need to shoot someone down for putting in their 2 pence when they’re curious about something that is going to impact them. Was just wondering if there is any advice that wasn’t so black and white, as my concern isn’t about wearing them, but the impact it may have on RT.

• Seen Seen x 1
  8. kimbo96

kimbo96 Active Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    It’s already been addressed on the thread, just bring both in said circumstance

• Like Like x 2
  9. Soap_TNDO

Soap_TNDO Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    ah it has been - apologies @OneSheet, I missed your initial comment about them fogging up etc when reading through the thread.

• Seen Seen x 1
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
  10. Soap_TNDO

Soap_TNDO Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Fairenough - I deserved that.

As I said, I apologise for my irrational reaction.

The glasses aren’t that big of a deal, I was just voicing my thoughts when browsing the forum.

11. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

MOD comment- All, let’s drop the internet hard man nonsense. If your post isn’t accurate, current or helpful, then it doesn’t belong here.

Play the ball, not the man.

• Like Like x 2
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2