Conviction/University advice?

joshd

Reaction score
Hi,

As a new member I was just wanting some advice about applying for the RM as an officer.

I have just got back from a 4 month stint in Malawi in which, for the most part, I was working in a prison teaching the inmates. This was the beginning of my Gap year and plan to do the usual mix of traveling and work - with the next stint hopefully working in Qatar at the British Embassy.

However I have an issue at the moment about how to go about eventually joining the RM's. The two problems are the dilemma of whether or not to go university before and also how to best deal with a criminal conviction for drink driving that I received under a year ago.

I phoned the Royal Marines Careers Officer and was all ready to sign up but then was told I cannot for roughly another 18 months, or rather 30 months after the time of conviction (this was lucky as it was just before my 18th birthday which meant I was tried in the youth court as so my conviction is spent in half the time). I was wondering if this is this set in stone? is there no way around this, no amount of hard work now that can try to work around the past?

Furthermore my question about university is more along the lines of how much a degree helps in career progression within the RM's, both in terms of rank and pay - it is only important for me at the moment to consider my life inside the RM's as I have no knowledge of what I will want after and if that will require a degree. I currently have around 600-700 ucas points, I can't quite remember but I know i didn't get to 700 but did pass 600. Also the university I would be going to would be hopefully Oxford but also St Andrews is on the cards.

Many thanks for all of your help in advance. Josh

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Welcome to the site.

The rules regarding serious motoring offences (drink drive, no insurance, no licence, etc) have recently changed.

Under the old system, rehabilitation was based solely upon the fine aspect which carried a rehabilitation of 5 years from date of conviction, subject to reduction by half if under 18 on date of conviction.

The newer classification may appear more lenient however there are a lot of "IFs" & "BUTs"....

If you have less than two serious motoring offences you MAY be considered for a criminal conviction waiver IF: You have your licence back and you can prove the fine has been paid in full. BUT, a waiver will only be applied for IF the Area Careers Liaison Officer feels you are worthy of a waiver application and can categorically prove this is just a one-off. If you weren't insured, it wasn't your car or it wasn't taxed & MoT'd or you weren't licenced to drive the vehicle or there was loss of life or any injury or secondary offences- forget it.

Even if a waiver is applied for - bearing in mind you wish to be an Officer, then there is categorically no guarantee whatsoever the waiver will be approved.

Do bear in mind a criminal conviction waiver application is by no means a right & the ACLO would be 100% within their rights to say "no".

Good luck.

v3locity

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I would suggest going to university getting your degree and then your conviction should be spent. Also you get paid more with a degree.

TM

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
There's definitely no point doing a degree though unless you're completely set on it. There are so many people at my Uni who can't wait to just get it done, but if you're ok with that and have an interest in the course then I guess go for it.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
If you intend doing a vocational degree which you intend using after you leave the service, then doubling your starting income to 28k is worthwhile- depending how much debt you accrue achieving the degree.

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not sure vocational degrees are all that worthwhile if you plan to go into a job for so many years, by the time your ready to be employed in civvy street it will likely be useless, but then English or Sociology are no better...it is the chance to get some experience as well...

mike webb

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
elo buddy!

i think the first thing you need to do is get this criminal record situation squared away. speak to your afco, and get a definate black and white picture from them on how this will affect your application.

on hearing the facts thats when you need to make a decision.. if your record bars you from entry, then go to university... it will give you extra qualifications, and when you join the corps will give you a higher starting salary and 2.5 yrs seniority to a non graduate YO. during your time at uni your convictions will be spent and then you have a clean slate.

if you convictions dont affect your application or you get a waiver from your afco, then thats when you have to make a decision. a lot of YO go to uni first... im applying as a YO but i havent gone to university. it just depends what you want from life... university is a good experience, but unless you really want to study the subject in hand, theres little point in racking up 20k debt. its something that will have a bearing on your career at first, as pay for a non graduate is lower at first, and you dont get a 2.5 jump on seniority... but that said...if you climb the ranks to captain im sure these isues fade away. i dont believe just because you have a degree you are a better leader, however the service needs to attract people with degrees, so im not going to argue against the benefits allocated to those with degrees.

mike