Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Johnny_Anonie

Reaction score
With the ongoing media coverage with regards to Coronavirus (COVID-19) it may be pertinent to share some information. All information has been sourced from official channels.

There are no reported cases within the Armed Forces and all forum users are urged to remain calm. However with individuals in the military often coming into close bodily contact with one another the importance of infection control cannot be over stated. When sharing accommodation with others (for example during PRMC or CTC) there are simple measures you can take to maintain good health and the health of your oppos.

You can help stop yourself and others falling ill with good hygiene measures.

Wash your hands regularly with soap and warm water, as well as:

• regularly cleaning surfaces such as your bed space, telephone and door handles to get rid of germs
  • using tissues to cover your mouth and nose when you cough or sneeze
  • putting used tissues in a bin as soon as possible
Number of cases
As of 9am on 14 March 2020, 37,746 people have been tested in the UK, of which 36,606 were confirmed negative and 1,140 were confirmed as positive. 21 patients who tested positive for COVID-19 have died.

The Department of Health and Social Care will be publishing updated data every day at 2pm until further notice. If more cases are confirmed in the UK, it will be announced as soon as possible by the Chief Medical Officer of the affected country.

Risk level
Based on the World Health Organization’s declaration that this is a public health emergency of international concern, the UK Chief Medical Officers have raised the risk to the UK from low to moderate.

This permits the government to plan for all eventualities.

We have been working in close collaboration with international colleagues and the World Health Organization to monitor the situation in China and around the world.

If you have returned from these specific areas since 19 February, I suggest you should not attend any military camp and call NHS 111 and stay indoors and avoid contact with other people even if you do not have symptoms:

If you have returned from these areas since 19 February and develop symptoms, however mild, you should stay indoors at home and avoid contact with other people immediately and call NHS 111. You do not need to follow this advice if you have no symptoms.

• northern Italy (anywhere north of Pisa, Florence and Rimini)
  • Vietnam
  • Cambodia
  • Laos
  • Myanmar

Based on current evidence, coronavirus (COVID-19) presents with flu-like symptoms including a fever, a cough, or difficulty breathing. The current evidence is that most cases appear to be mild. Those who have died in China appear to have had pre-existing health conditions.

rkec

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I've just listened to the science guy giving evidence in Parliament. Jeez, if you follow basic hygeine practices you will NOT catch this.

You can NOT contract Covid 19 through the skin. Only by touching it, then touching your face (mouth, nose eyes) can you contract it. Continuous hand washing will kill it.

Only prolonged periods in a confined space with someone who has it will you end up breathing it in. Open the windows.

You will not catch it if you follow these basic things.

Why on earth the media isn't showing this is beyond me. He was very calm, very articulate guy. Once you listen to him you'll realise this is a 100% avoidable illness.

Don't touch your face, wash your hands and open window - oh and yellow snow will also kill it.

Former AE

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Dhobying yourself doesn't happen on Army bases, safest place for your valuables is in your soap dish ! ;)

Rover

Reaction score
From a post on OAMAAM.......

We have seen this before during the petrol strikes. Small independent retailers excessively increasing prices just because they can. It appears corona virus is reason enough for price increases particularly on items such as hand sanitizer. I was told at one location in Cornwall where I deliver that the price of hand sanitizer had trebled. The price has gone up from about £60 a case to £172. I have just heard on local radio that a care home has seen an increase from £2 to £15 a bottle.-banghead-
Dettol antibacterial spray is about £2 a bottle in most supermarkets and the label states it kills the human corona virus.

Fools and their money, so they say................

Sterilising Fluid, the proprietary brand is a little over £2 a Litre in most supermarkets, unbranded, same stuff, less than £1 in Home Bargains, B&M etc.

So what is in SF? Bleach, mix 9 parts water with liquid bleach, not the thick gel stuff, and rinse your hands with it after washing. But rinse your hands in tap water afterwards, bleach doesn't only just kill germs, the daily use of a hand cream would also be advisable. Soap and effective hand washing is still the best scientific advice. :)

ML's and SC ranks shouldn't bother, the germs wouldn't dare.;);)

Johnny_Anonie

Reaction score
Spot on @rkec

Like the rest of us I have no idea how things will unfold but I’d be willing to bet that the chance of an 80% population infection and one million deaths in the United Kingdom is pretty remote.

Buying or stealing (yes-that’s actually happening!) hand sanitiser / antibacterial soap dispensers is utterly pointless. Masks are useless. Just wash your hands and don't lick someone who you know has coronavirus.
There will be people infected and there will be people who will die that’s how these things work. Last year in the UK we had over 20,000 flu cases, resulting in 15 deaths and no one even seemed to notice. We had over 2,000 smoking-related deaths, 3000 alcohol and drug-related deaths and 2500 deaths from people being over-weigh and not exercising enough. All preventable by simple alternations in behaviour.

Maybe the government should reflect on this and how the general public were influenced so quickly to adopt safer behaviours. Perhaps, if they could stop sensationalising the message, TV and radio shock-jocks have the answer?
I'm staying relaxed and thinking about a cheap flight to Milan. Come on, we could have a forum holiday- who’s with me?

Former AE

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
You will see in the near future access to all military establishments restricted to avoid the spread, as I have just found out as planning stuff for cadets in a few months.

aliens-do-exist

Reaction score
Would that include up and coming PRMCs?

You will see in the near future access to all military establishments restricted to avoid the spread, as I have just found out as planning stuff for cadets in a few months.

Chelonian

Reaction score
Would that include up and coming PRMCs?
It's likely that official guidance will be issued within the next few days.

It is possible that the cancellation of 295 Troop's Families' Day was made public early to minimise inconvenience to those who might have had to travel from overseas to attend.

Caversham

Former RM Commando, Moderator
Reaction score
It's likely that official guidance will be issued within the next few days.

It is possible that the cancellation of 295 Troop's Families' Day was made public early to minimise inconvenience to those who might have had to travel from overseas to attend.
Brings home the importance of cancellation insurance!

Alan

Zika65

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Meanwhile the 2020 Cheltenham Festival is going ahead from tomorrow. Organisers have mitigated risk by placing extra bars of soap in the toilets. :)
Which members of the public will, no doubt, nick!

redmotive

Reaction score
Wonder if my April 8th PJFT will be cancelled because it's looking that way. Italy is in lockdown yet UK government allows flights in from Italy with no checks.

aliens-do-exist

Reaction score
you can do at any afco suggested gym, i doubt gyms would close, id worry more about prmcs being cancelled but no point in worrying!

Wonder if my April 8th PJFT will be cancelled because it's looking that way. Italy is in lockdown yet UK government allows flights in from Italy with no checks.

Grey man

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
@aliens-do-exist

All ranks will be aware of the Coronavirus via the news media and local and central government warnings. Should the situation change, clear direction will be sent out.

Last edited: