Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Discussion in 'Stickies/Frequently Asked Questions' started by Johnny_Anonie, Feb 27, 2020.

1. A350-800

A350-800 Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    I had a look through that tonight, I found I may not be insured currently under my car insurance to do lots of those jobs because my policy is social and commuting but dosent include anything else, some of the specific guides on there recommend checking this if this is something you want to do and making changes to your policy, otherwise things could get a bit expensive if you are using your car for it and have an accident

• Like Like x 1
  2. sharpe

sharpe Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Parent
    I think there’s a role involving just phoning vulnerable people and providing reassurance and hopefully keeping them engaged and not too isolated. Probably as important if not more than some of the other roles

• Like Like x 2
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  3. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

And if the NHS volunteer plan doesn't suit everyone consider making yourself known to vulnerable neighbours. Many rely upon online grocery and med deliveries. If that infrastructure collapses it will be reassuring to those in need if they feel confident to call someone local who can don his or her runners and sprint to a corner shop or pharmacy for essentials.
    Simple, local solutions.

• Like Like x 4
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 1
  4. A350-800

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    :) sadly I asked some of my older neighbours if they wanted anything doing for them the other day, turns out they were about 15 years younger than I thought they were and are probably quite peeved about it, never mind haha
    I guess the car insurance thing is easily sorted anyway they are probably never going to know if you aren't just going shopping or to the pharmacy anyway unless you tell them so I should stop overthinking it

• Like Like x 2
  5. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

An important issue with the current health emergency is that one's age might be a factor but youth and general good health are no guarantee that help might not be required. That's the message my local support group have tried to convey. :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. A350-800

App Stage:
    Application Submitted

One of my parents works in a frailty unit at hospital, unfortunately she said lots of older people are coming in in quite a poor way because no carers are seing them, phoning them or checking upon them anymore, she was quite disturbed by it today because lots of people are going to die even if they don't have the virus from being lonely or not getting treatment

7. sharpe

App Stage:
    Parent
    That’s terrible

8. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Yep, sadly there is very little resilience in an already fragile volunteer support network.

• Like Like x 2
  9. sharpe

App Stage:
    Parent
    The old farts are going to rise:)

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  10. News

News RSS Feed

The New York governor says the city is a test case and that the first priority should be to save lives.

Continue reading...

11. News

News RSS Feed

The car industry is pledging to help tackle a shortage of ventilators and masks as virus spreads.

Continue reading...

• Like Like x 1
  12. News

News RSS Feed

Spain is the worst hit European nation after Italy with 40,000 cases – 5,400 of them health workers.

Continue reading...

13. News

News RSS Feed

President Trump said he was speaking to the Coronavirus Taskforce about when to open the US for business.

Continue reading...

14. Former AE

Former AE Royal Marines Commando

Local councils are setting up Covid Support Teams made of volunteers, I have put our Sea Cadet/RM Cadet unit at their disposal for anything they need from storing stuff to distributing things. Also waiting to see if they need me and some of the staff to use our minibuses to help. Having done disaster relief in the Corps these are going to be difficult times, hopefully enough will volunteer to help.

• Like Like x 5
  15. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

For all the good work that is going on in the UK and other countries then what has happened in Spain is unimaginable:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-52014023

At the very least start volunteering and phoning around to check on others.

Alan

• Like Like x 5
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 1
  16. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

My understanding is the BBC possibly overplayed this particular issue.

In Spain, the authorities are routinely responsible for the administrative elements of the deceased but did not have enough available staff, so requested the Army undertake this task in areas they could not cover.

Again, it maybe another of those 'trials by social media' which seem particularly popular at the moment.

Another common theme is uploading photographs of retailers bulk-buying stock from the wholesalers then sagging them off as hoarders.

• Like Like x 3
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  17. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Screenshot 2020-03-25 at 09.16.25.png

Source:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-eu...hb5P1THFjUVDhIwjPnPdsvhOLLMjLakQ68CsMZ1iYwkB8

From personal experience abandoned and deceased elderly people are sadly too common in UK residential and nursing care homes and have been for many years. :(

But context is important. If the infrastructure for disposing of human corpses is overwhelmed and if underpaid, disregarded nursing staff with caring responsibilities at home are in fear of their own lives the Spanish scenario could easily occur here too.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

I agree that there seems to be more to this than meets the eye. We still have a lot of friends living in Spain from our time over there and the Spanish really did take their eye off the ball.

When this first started over there, the main centre of infection was Madrid and the people were told to self isolate themselves, so they promptly loaded up their cars and headed to their holiday homes and the hotels on the Costas.

They have made up for it since with fines of between €600 up to €3000 for anyone breaking the law. Only one person in a car, stay at home all the time except to go to the shop, which must be local, walking the dog for a short distance etc. The fortunate thing is that at least they still have a decent sized police force to enforce things.

Alan

• Like Like x 4
  19. News

News RSS Feed

An 18-year-old has died of coronavirus in England. Are young people at risk from the virus?

Continue reading...

20. News

News RSS Feed

The lockdown in the Chinese city where the outbreak began will be partially lifted next month.

Continue reading...