Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Rkec

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I agree about the individualism and the lack of respect, but the government that we elected, as you say, didn't initially want to go down the 'lockdown' route. They were pushed into it via a demand that 'something', 'anything' be done while the science was, and still is, shaky. That is also a lack of respect for authority, just manifesting itself differently.

We've also no exit plan.
That is something I fully agree on. This is a media driven lock down. Jumped up journos pushing their own importance.

Why those same jounros keep asking the same "are we there yet" questions each day of officials is beyond me. Get some scientists in their challenging the scientists and Ministers.

Reaction score
To add abit specifically about Exercise being therepeutic etc. Another prime example of how weak we are.
Look at our history. Both my grandads were evacuated during the war. Im sure being at home with friends and family would have been therepeutic for them. We can still exercise at home. We have xbox, ps4, facetime, sky tv, Netflix etc etc. And yet, people cant cope staying at home for a few weeks.

Everyone needs to get in line and man up for the time being. We're British. We've been through worse!
It's fair enough when it comes to grots on camp or teenagers or if you live alone, but most people's living arrangements aren't like that. As someone else mentioned there's domestic violence, but also just trying to home-school children inside small houses while trying to do your 40 hour a week day job from a laptop on the kitchen table isn't a situation that people can put up with indefinitely.

Rob20

Royal Marines Commando Moderator
Reaction score
I wont quote each of your posts lads. But you all make really good points and arguments.

I'll try to make a buckshee analogy to sum up my view point.

We're on the ranges. We've got a target 300m. The aim is to hit centre mass (defeat CV). Our plan to achieve this is to aim exactly where we want to hit (lockdown). However, our rounds seem to be hitting left of the target and we have no idea why. We realise then we forgot to put range flags up to see the wind direction. Nor did we zero our sights.

So we had our plan, and it was a great plan according to the experts, but for some reason we couldn't figure out, it wasn't working and we don't know why. The wind/sight variables is equivalent to people not following the rules which is difficult to track. We can't currently control people going out and about as much as we should be able to, just as we can't control the wind.

But we can counter the wind by aiming to the right of target. We can have a more accurate progress track of whether lockdown is helping but only if everyone plays by the rules or, by completely limitint them having the choice.

Thats a stupid bootneck way of explaining my opinion ha

Rob20

Reaction score
It's fair enough when it comes to grots on camp or teenagers or if you live alone, but most people's living arrangements aren't like that. As someone else mentioned there's domestic violence, but also just trying to home-school children inside small houses while trying to do your 40 hour a week day job from a laptop on the kitchen table isn't a situation that people can put up with indefinitely.
For the record. I've been forced to move back to my mums as my unit is in isolation.

My Mrs isn't exactly thrilled considering I had a weekend with her after a 2.5 month deployment before going straight on course and being sent home to isolate.

Point is, everyone is suffering abit. But for the government to ascertain whether or not their method is working we need to suck it up and go with it as one

Rkec

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I wont quote each of your posts lads. But you all make really good points and arguments.

I'll try to make a buckshee analogy to sum up my view point.

We're on the ranges. We've got a target 300m. The aim is to hit centre mass (defeat CV). Our plan to achieve this is to aim exactly where we want to hit (lockdown). However, our rounds seem to be hitting left of the target and we have no idea why. We realise then we forgot to put range flags up to see the wind direction. Nor did we zero our sights.

So we had our plan, and it was a great plan according to the experts, but for some reason we couldn't figure out, it wasn't working and we don't know why. The wind/sight variables is equivalent to people not following the rules which is difficult to track. We can't currently control people going out and about as much as we should be able to, just as we can't control the wind.

But we can counter the wind by aiming to the right of target. We can have a more accurate progress track of whether lockdown is helping but only if everyone plays by the rules or, by completely limitint them having the choice.

Thats a stupid bootneck way of explaining my opinion ha
The trouble is though that we aren't testing people (nor should we). To use your analogy, nobody is even looking at where the rounds are going down. All the Gov are testing for is hits on the target (those going to hospital). Loads of people are getting sick without ever showing up on any stats.

We don't even know who is dying from CV19 or with CV19.

My own thoughts are, and I'm pretty sure of this, this has been here since last year. The lock down is 4 months behind when it was needed. Although, as few noticed, it probably wasn't needed then anyway.

Reaction score
For the record. I've been forced to move back to my mums as my unit is in isolation.

My Mrs isn't exactly thrilled considering I had a weekend with her after a 2.5 month deployment before going straight on course and being sent home to isolate.

Point is, everyone is suffering abit. But for the government to ascertain whether or not their method is working we need to suck it up and go with it as one
Point taken, I was being a bit smart, but there a lot of people for whom this is going to be extremely difficult. I don't think it's just a case of preferring the park to Netflix. Although, doubtless, for some it is.

I agree also, that if we're going to do something it's worth sticking to it. I believe in the rule of law. I just think we should be questioning this as much as we can because I don't think we've thought it through at all.

Rob20

Reaction score
The trouble is though that we aren't testing people (nor should we). To use your analogy, nobody is even looking at where the rounds are going down. All the Gov are testing for is hits on the target (those going to hospital). Loads of people are getting sick without ever showing up on any stats.

We don't even know who is dying from CV19 or with CV19.

My own thoughts are, and I'm pretty sure of this, this has been here since last year. The lock down is 4 months behind when it was needed. Although, as few noticed, it probably wasn't needed then anyway.
No I get that. But the government are trying to assess if us being in lockdown slows or reduces the numbers of people in hospital with CV. How do they know if lockdown is having a positive or negative effect if a minority of the population isnt abibing by it?

Rob20

Reaction score
Point taken, I was being a bit smart, but there a lot of people for whom this is going to be extremely difficult. I don't think it's just a case of preferring the park to Netflix. Although, doubtless, for some it is.

I agree also, that if we're going to do something it's worth sticking to it. I believe in the rule of law. I just think we should be questioning this as much as we can because I don't think we've thought it through at all.
Out of interest what's the alternatives? As I said, I initially proposed for us all to carry on except the over 70s or those with pre existing health issues.

It's becoming more and more clear that that's probably a bad idea.

Rkec

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
No I get that. But the government are trying to assess if us being in lockdown slows or reduces the numbers of people in hospital with CV. How do they know if lockdown is having a positive or negative effect if a minority of the population isnt abibing by it?
But do they need to know if the lock down is working? My own opinion is that they don't, they should forget about it. They should just keep an eye on the hospital capacity because at the end of the day, this needs to go through the population as quickly as possible without overwhelming the NHS.

I know they are operating on a 10 day lag between action and hospitalised consequences so they have to act before they see hospital admissions actually rise in real time . But 14 days ago the country went into lockdown. If we could cope with the numbers that arrived before that, it should suggest that numbers will fall even more this week. I don't get why he is talking about extra lock down powers now?

Reaction score
Out of interest what's the alternatives? As I said, I initially proposed for us all to carry on except the over 70s or those with pre existing health issues.

It's becoming more and more clear that that's probably a bad idea.
The initial government plan was pretty proportionate to the situation. The science is very shaky. As @rkec has said, there's a massive chance this has already passed and it's all for nothing.

We're now on the verge of tanking the economy in a way that hasn't been seen for a century (which will kill both directly and indirectly). Not to mention the China style social measures which we won't lose in hurry when it's all over either.

And it's been primarily driven by public hysteria and 'gotcha' media that has scared the government. Which, as I said before, is disrespect for authority, it's rule by the mob - not those we elect. But then it's gone to the heads of those we elect too, who've lost sense of proportion, what their job is and what they should be doing. The police as well.

thirdtry

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
In some positive news for the economy I think it will recover much quicker than a 'typical" recession.

The majority of the country is still earning something, be it through salary or furlough. Or upcoming business grants and self employed grants. Or Universal Credit.

The majority of the country currently isn't spending, except for essentials once per week.

Due to the emergency funding, many businesses will survive.

What this means is that when the lockdown is lifted, a lot of people will be going out to celebrate by spending a lot of money. It'll be a hell of a night out! The restaurants and bars will be booming. Cinemas. Pubs. Shopping centres and everything else.

Anyone with the travel bug will be booking flights as fast as they can. Flights will probably be mega cheap for a short while and the travelers amongst us will be all over it. Hotels, airlines, hostels etc will thrive.

This huge surge in confidence in the market will raise the various indices.

Case in point would be the financial boom of the 50s after the war. Nobody was going skint then despite countries left in tatters.

And I don't say this as someone with rose-tinted glasses or a nest egg to be comfy on. Without divulging too many specifics I currently qualify for zero government support (not even UC) and now have no job to boot. Thankfully some old invoices have come through which will see me through until I start a fruit-picking job (just waiting on the agency to place me) and I get back into the military ASAP but what I'm saying is I'm absolutely not sat on cash laughing at those in need.

We will be ok. Britain today is a lot softer and weaker than ever before but I'm pretty sure as a nation we can still stay strong and overcome this.

News

RSS Feed
Reaction score
In Gaza, people are bracing for a coronavirus outbreak as more than 10 cases of infection have been confirmed in the small enclave.

Continue reading...

News

RSS Feed
Reaction score
Frank Gardner's grandfather recommended soap and sunlight when dealing with infectious patients. Other ideas haven't aged so well.

Continue reading...

News

RSS Feed
Reaction score
Coronavirus: Pastor who decried 'hysteria' dies after attending Mardi Gras

A preacher who said coronavirus was overhyped has died after catching the virus at Mardi Gras.

Continue reading...