Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Discussion in 'Stickies/Frequently Asked Questions' started by Johnny_Anonie, Feb 27, 2020.

1. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

As an aside, anyone using the search box on this forum will read some amusing and desperate posts from individuals who were issued boots at PRMC and started RT with purple boots that Noddy Holder would have been proud to wear in 1972. :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  2. Claddagh

Claddagh Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    ...and there we have it sports fans. South Africa officially under lockdown from Thursday night midnight till the 16th April....

• Like Like x 4
  3. sharpe

sharpe Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Parent
    Well in a typically polite and understated British way so are we @Claddagh just announced tonight. Personally think it was a good announcement and leaves a lot of manoeuvring room to ramp up if and when required

• Like Like x 3
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  4. browner467

browner467 Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Stay safe men (and ladies) - A minimum of three weeks of off work for me, which will give me plenty of time to crack some serious phys.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

It is likely I’ll be incredibly busy in the coming weeks and won’t be online much. I urge everyone to adhere to the government advice and to think of others. By following the guidance on social distancing you can help save lives.

For years, we Police Officers have been calling for the resourcing of forces to be adequately looked at. In normal times, we are very stretched. Nobody knows what three or four weeks could do to our workforce. We could be left with a skeleton workforce trying to enforce legislation, trying to keep the lid on normal crime trends. It is very difficult to predict but I can assure the public that we will do our best.

Remember folks- Only call 999 if you are reporting a crime that is in progress or if someone is in immediate danger. Anything else it’s 101.

• Like Like x 19
  6. sharpe

App Stage:
    Parent
    Well if you need some old farts to get a uniform back on I’m game! Good luck @Johnny_Anonie i suspect you aren’t going to see the best of society in the coming weeks, just know that 99.9% have got yours and the other emergency workers backs. Stay safe friend

• Like Like x 5
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
  7. physiomum

physiomum Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Parent
    Good luck @Johnny_Anonie. Take care x

• Like Like x 1
  8. Mumma23

Mumma23 Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Parent
    Take care @Johnny_Anonie . Mr Mumma23 is a retired PC but has been asked to go on a reserve bank to go back and help if needed :(

• Like Like x 2
  9. DeesMum

DeesMum Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Parent
    Good luck @Johnny_Anonie and all other people working through this on the front line.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

My brother dusted off his old Police uniform cape yesterday. :)

• Like Like x 2
  11. News

News RSS Feed

12. News

News RSS Feed

The coronavirus outbreak has left many feeling trapped indoors, but for some help may not be far away.

Continue reading...

13. Clueless!

Clueless! Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    I work in a hotel & on the gov website it states hotels are not essential & need to close. The hotel I work for are staying open. We are being told that we need to volunteer to work otherwise they will take it as we are no longer wanting our jobs when it (if) all goes back to normal.

I have been searching and searching for answers. Someone on here might be able to point me in the right direction for help

I was also told the police have to powers to shut down places if it’s non essential work- is that correct.

I really don’t want to shoot myself in the foot and lose my job. But I really do not want to continue working and put myself as risk. :(

14. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

15. Clueless!

Clueless! Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
  16. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

@Clueless! It is very probable that hotels will very specifically be mandated to close. Many have already complied with the request to do so by HM Government. For example, Premier Inns state:

Screenshot 2020-03-24 at 12.18.24.png

Let us know how you get on.

17. Clueless!

Clueless! Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    @Chelonian apparently there are a few business in the town I live in taking full advantage of this, and so are many others

18. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

In the real world one's contract of employment is a significant factor. Sadly the hotel and catering sector was notorious for limiting rights by hiring on short term contracts long before it became fashionable. I seldom offer advice because it is difficult to know someone's circumstances so I'll throw in some observations for consideration.

I will be astonished if hotels are operating as normal this time next week. With very few exceptions most will probably soon be shut down for at least one month and perhaps longer. Consider asking your employer if you will continue to be paid and what support the employer will offer staff if they are unable to work because of mandatory closure.

If the answer is unsatisfactory, bear in mind that hotel and catering is a very dynamic sector. Staff come and go and hopefully there will be plenty of other opportunities for you when the current health emergency subsides or ends.

Edited to add:
    Matt Hancock, Secretary of State for Health & Social Care commented on a question similar to your own at about 1645 this afternoon:

Go to work if that work cannot be done at home.

But the caveat added was along these lines (this is not a direct quote):

Employers have a duty to ensure that employees and customers are two metres apart. If this is not happening the employee should raise the concern with the employer.

But ultimately, your health and welfare and that of those closest to you are what matters most. For the avoidance of doubt that's my comment, not Matt Hancock's.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
  19. News

News RSS Feed

The Paris-based fashion brand's owners want to help the French health service fight Covid-19.

Continue reading...

20. sharpe

App Stage:
    Parent
    If anyone is interested in registering to become 1 of the 250k nhs volunteers this is the link. I think it’s a great initiative and will hopefully take some of the slack from the front line emergency services www.goodsamapp.org/NHS

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2020