Could use some reassurance about A-Levels.

Rec0rd

Reaction score
I'm in final year of sixth form, with only 3 to 4 months to endure before I finish.

I've never been an academic person, but worked my socks off to gain 8 GCSE's at grade C including Maths and English. This required hours of 1 to 1 private tuition every week.

I also have a BTEC in Aviation studies worth 2 GCSE's and a BTEC in Public Services worth 4. This was gained through cadets.

Following the success of my GCSE results I decided to take 3 A-Levels in English Literature, English Language & Applied Science. After my first year I gained a grade E in both English subjects and a D in Applied Science. I underestimated how hard A-Levels were.

I was allowed to drop English Lit, leaving me with 2 subjects at A-Levels. I'm currently at a grade U in both subjects.

Despite this, dropping out if the last thing on my mind, but it's frustrating to focus your mind on subjects that you have absolutely no interest in whatsoever. The coursework is rock solid and I doubt it's impossible to achieve anything higher than an E, in only two subjects.

I'm not going for Officer.

Having been a member of cadets for 5 years and achieving a huge amount, and also having a part time job making sure that a local high school is locked and secure on weekends when we have weekend actives on, how will my A-Level grades effect my interview?

Cheers lads.

Geordie_Kev

Reaction score
I believe some people are born better at some things than others. You get people who are better athletes, others who are more academic (certainly not myself) and the lucky ones that have the best of both worlds.
If you put 110% in to everything you do and can prove this during your interview then you have nothing to worry about.

Jbc

Royal Marines Commando -Moderator
Reaction score
You don't need any formal qualifications to join as an 'other rank'. I got expelled from school and dropped out of college with 1 a-level. It's really not an issue!

Anon.

Reaction score
You're not going for Officer so the grades you achieved won't affect your application in a negative sense so don't worry about that. Further education can never be seen as a bad thing! bare in mind there will be people applying with little or no GCSE's let alone 8 GCSEs, 2 BTECs and 2 A-Levels.

I'm sure that sticking out the A-Levels and achieving E's or lower will come off a lot better than dropping out altogether. As long as in interview you come across as a positive open-minded lad who's got a keen interest in the Royal Marines and you've done your homework and studied about the RM and the Royal Navy then I'm sure you'll be fine, don't let your A-Levels worry you!

Camz

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
What you've just told us, you tell during your RM interview.

But then think about which sounds better:

1. Quit them towards the end because you thought you were going to fail

2. Stuck with it until the end and tried your best to rectify things, whilst still keeping fit enough for the marines.

Rec0rd

Reaction score
Cheers lads!

I think I've spent too much time on student forums hearing about how people fail their A-Levels and then consequently think they will fail in life.

I don't intend on quitting when there's only 3 months left. I'll see where the next 3 months takes me, regardless of the fact if I leave there with nothing.

It's just nice to have some reassurance from people who are hoping to go in to the same job as I am.

Chrisswan

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
while what other people have said is certainly true, you need to prove to your careers advisor that you have stick ability. so even though you are not very academic (me neither i actually quit sixth form after the first year) so by you staying in it shows them your sticking doing something you don't like, are not good at but your doing it anyway which is a win win

Chris1908

Reaction score
I think in this situation the actual result is a bi product to the fact that you will have stuck at it regardless of whether you found it hard and perhaps considered it a waste of your time.

Hell you never know, you may be able to turn it around with the right attitude and come away with a half decent grade.

Utopia

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Take it from someone that consistently under-achieved, sticking it out to a mediocre grade is far far far better than quitting because you weren't going to get an A*text deleted**text deleted**text deleted** or whatever the rediculous grades are these days.

It not only proves to others that you have strength of character, you often take away a lesson from the time spent trying that can't be graded.

Example: My degree was an unmitigated disaster. I knew after the first three weeks I was on the wrong course, and I wouldn't enjoy the rest of it. I stuck it out for three years and got myself a 2:2. It's rubbish compared to my peers, but then again there were a great many things I was able to do that they couldn't. For example I had a much better ability to present my ideas (Graphic Design degree) and make every project into a business venture rather than an airy fairy waltz. I passed because I brought something different that others couldn't. Ironically, I got more job offers in the design industry than my peers because I was deemed 'business ready'.

Remember that the process of learning and adapting is more important than the results.