Courses post RT

Johnwayne

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Just want to start by saying that my sole focus at the moment is getting to and through ROP and RT, but I do have a question that I am curious about that applies to life after RT.

Some units of course have certain entry requirements, for instance 148Bty require that you have successfully completed SERE-C, Recce Operators Course, coxswains course, Artillery and NGS fires course etc.

If your end goal was to join that unit, but your first draft is to CLR, how do you go about completing those courses? Is this something you speak to you CO about and request to do the courses as slots become available for them, or am I completely missing the pot and it doesn’t work like that at all?

Like I said, I’m sure everyone getting ready to join or start ROP has an idea of what they want to do in their head and the likelihood of this changing during RT is massive when you realise how things actually work in the real world. So my ultimate goal now is just to get a Green Lid. I’ll cross any other bridges when I get there.

That being said, when I get my lid, I’d love to be a Special Ninja Sniper Assault Medic?;)

Cheers for all the info and the bitching new site!

The guide

Ex RAF, Ex Royal Marines, now RN.! go figure
Reaction score
First of it appears...could be wrong... but you are hearing or reading some bit,s and galloping away with them - you do not need to have completed all those courses to work with 148, it depends on which role you will fill - SERE cat C aside which is a briefed course.! but if you were at CLR as you use for an example, the likely hood of getting those courses are slim, you generally do courses for the role you are in or you do a series of courses just prior to taking up you new role which are known as PJTs - pre-joining training - so a medic, for example, may attend a BATLS course prior to going to a fighting unit, a driver may complete a Coach license course prior to going to CTC (purely an example) and Vehicle Mechanic may attend a Viking repair course prior to going to Bovington. I am sure you get the gist.!!

All that being said if there are courses that make you more attractive to another unit - you can ask your boss if you can be released to attend it , not all courses will work like this but some do (can).

Last edited:

Johnwayne

Reaction score
Guide, thanks for the info!

I’m sure that there is some info that I misinterpreted. Some of the courses that I posted were mentioned on the 148Bty Instagram page under a Q&A section they did. That being said, they did mention that not all of these are prerequisites for getting in and that once you are in one of the the other Bty’s in 29Cdo you would have the opportunity to knock some of those off.

I have a much clearer picture now of how the process works, so thank you.

I think it’s easy for us Bootneck hopefuls to feel like a kid in a candy shop when you realise the vast amount of opportunities available after RT. So easy in fact that you can forget you still need to get through said 36 weeks of RT.

All aside, just excited to have the opportunity to earn a lid.
Thank you again for the information.

Caversham

Former RM Commando, Moderator
Reaction score
Is selection for 148 Bty tri-service now? I was always under the impression it was part of the RA and those in it were selected from 29 Commando RA.

Alan

Johnwayne

Reaction score
@Caversham I just had a look at the Q&A they did and the question, “do you have to be in the RA to join or can you join from other areas of the armed forces”’ was asked there. The response was:”No, you can be from Army, Navy or Royal Marines. If joining from the Army you will have to transfer to RA.”

The guide

Ex RAF, Ex Royal Marines, now RN.! go figure
Reaction score
In the main it is RA but there are RM signals , RAMC or RM medics , RAF JTAC,s and RN gunners attached, as well as for few other odd,s and sods -