Court !

Ninja

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Hiya lads,

I have a question,

i recently recieved a phone call saying that i was being taken to court by a women that i swore at 3 months ago. This women was having a go at me and i told her to do one basically ! i know this was wrong and appoligised to her the day after, after swearing at her she swore back at me.... therefore people have looked on her in a bad way for swearing at me ( i have also been punished by the club i play for, for swearing at her )

cut a long story short, she wants to take me to court and is in the process of taking me to court for calling her a liar !! there is such a case for this as someone has told me, however she claims to have witnessess about the matter. I know 100 % that she swore at me. my only problem is that if i go to court and swear on the bible to tell the truth and i lose the case due to her false witnessess could this prohiibted me joining the marines as i am so cloase to prmc !

just a bit of advice would be so greatful !

burny4125

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Sounds like a typical woman *text deleted*, i think you will be fine they can't just go off one witness if it is her freind then they wont belive that. so its your word agenst hers. I think that you will be ok like.

pcampbell87

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
What is she actually taking you to court for? Slander? If so, for a slander claim to be successful she would need to prove that she has actually suffered damages which is very unlikey and is also difficult to prove. Basically, she cant take you to court because you have annoyed her, she needs to have suffered loss first.

You may of called her a liar (whether it is true or not) but a simple defence is that that is your opinion. Most courts will recognise that there are no grounds for slander if it was an expression of opinion rather than a statement of fact.

Either way, your AFCO will want the issue resolved before you can join.

pcampbell87

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I just re-read your post and noticed that you said you have only recieved a phone call, who was this from?

If someone has just told you that is what she is doing it may be the case that she is just trying to scare you/wind you up. You need proper notice/summons to be taken to court.

JDMSAM

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Sounds like a bunch of Bo11ox to me. dont think saying naughty words would stop a RM application. watch 5 minutes of Commando on the front line and you hear 5 *text deleted*s in a sentance :D

Qwerty123

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Document every exchange you have with this woman with dates/times from now on.

As pcampbell87 said, it may all be a big wind-up but if not, things will be easier if you have a backlog of everything she has said to you/you have said to her since it happened.

Good luck!

Ninja

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I was told from the women herself that she was taking me to court, she has been writing letters to the local paper about the issue and everything ! and i spoke to a police women and she told me that if she did go to court and it wouldn't that she could only go to court on a civil bases so therefore nothing bad would come out of it ! is this true ?

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Until you get a summons, don't worry about it.

Failing that, if she contacts you again, threaten to take her to court or the police for emotional turmoil or some crap, and document everything that she says and when, as well as what you say.

Ninja

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
cheers for the posts lads, very greatful !

pcampbell87

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
If she did take you to court it could not be a criminal matter it would come under law of tort (civil law). For her to succeed she would need to prove that you have caused her loss/damage (which is very unlikely).

Even if she had a strong case (which, by the sounds of it, she does not) it would be hugely expensive to actually take you to court over. She would be paying a solicitor at least £150/hour and will have likely clocked up over £1000 in fees before you even received notice/summons.

Chances are she is just trying to wind you up - don't let it worry you.

Ninja

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
ah but she also told me that, if she wins, i will have to pay the legall fees !!

Nacnud

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I suggest you play the sympathy card. Looks scared, terrified out of your mind and always look down at your feet. When someone asks you a question, you must say "im sorry sir/maam, but I cannot answer that question." Otherwise, don't say anything. If you are offered any food or water, take it; it could be your last. Always make it look like your enemy is on top of you and winning, even though secretly in your mind you are still enduring.

On a more serious note... I very much doubt you will be barred from service because you swore at a stuck up lady, seeing as everyone swears at everyone in the armed forces *text deleted*. However, I would get this sorted out as soon as possible.

Stacka

Army Commando
Reaction score
Yeah basically stop being a girl and chill out

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Seriously that sucks real bad though, someone trying to take you to court for a few swear words? I would be pissed off, violence here is your only option! Just joking, but I wouldn't be too happy if I had to go in court...

A new of a guy that was being sued by his neighbour for swearing in his back garden or something, some people really need to get a life...

pcampbell87

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I suggest you play the sympathy card. Looks scared, terrified out of your mind and always look down at your feet. When someone asks you a question, you must say "im sorry sir/maam, but I cannot answer that question." Otherwise, don't say anything. If you are offered any food or water, take it; it could be your last. Always make it look like your enemy is on top of you and winning, even though secretly in your mind you are still enduring.

Its that a quote from Bravo Two Zero?

Nacnud

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
No, but I can imagine Andy Mcnab saying it. Great read though.

pcampbell87

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
It just reminded me of the part where he was describing methods of enduring interrogation. Yeah it is a good read.