COVID-19 Concerns

ShadeeFigs

Reaction score
So a week or so ago I filled out the preliminary "Request for application" form out on the website and then a few days later I took ill, fever, coughing etc. Got tested Thursday, got the results back, its the rona. Bad times.

5 days later I feel okay but get out of breath easily etc. Still trying to maintain some light for of phys and mobility work.

Now I'm very concerned after reading a few articles in running magazines and blogs where some people are saying it took them over a month to to get back to running and they had lost fitness etc. So anybody else has been lucky enough to catch coronavirus and if so how has it affected your training? How long did it take to get back to a decent level of fitness?

I really hope I don't have to start my mile and half training from square one or have to delay my application any more.

HAWJ94

Reaction score
Would depend on so many things....

Obviously you have prior benchmarks. So you can strive back to hit them. But depends how bad the rona’s got you.... you could have a mild case or a severe case. Each one would take a different length of influx and a different length of recovery.

Just get back steady, build up your distance and pace. Start finding a comfortable style of walking, running, swimming etc and stick to it. If it puts you a month behind then so what, at least you’re not dead.

ShadeeFigs

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. That's something I keep telling myself, at least I'm not on a ventilator or dead because it seems you never fully recover from either of those things.

I'm just wondering if anybody else has any experiences because it does seem like it affects everybody differently so trying to gauge an estimation of how long it might take. I think I got it mild but I'm just worried my lungs have been trashed without me knowing.

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. That's something I keep telling myself, at least I'm not on a ventilator or dead because it seems you never fully recover from either of those things.

I'm just wondering if anybody else has any experiences because it does seem like it affects everybody differently so trying to gauge an estimation of how long it might take. I think I got it mild but I'm just worried my lungs have been trashed without me knowing.
It’s different for everyone and it’s very difficult to go by what the news is telling you how serious it actually is or not , look at the amount of people who die every year with a cold or the flu so you just don’t know in all honest.
You get a normal cold or flu and your whole body is aching you have no energy and doing exercise is no chance and when your better from that it takes a few weeks at least to get back into the swing of things.

I have had to self isolate for just over 2 weeks and was finally able to leave the house on Friday just gone I was in a household with 2 family members who both had Covid the whole time , I was tested and never had or caught it I also have 2 medical conditions although might not be linked as a higher chance of getting because of it but if I did get Covid and drop dead im sure my conditions would be the reasons as to why I caught and died from it.

Just rest up if need be then when your feeling better get back into

Periphery

Reaction score
If you're young and fit there's nothing to worry about you'll be fine, I was volunteering for the NHS and caught the rona after a surprise covid test, had absolute 0 symptoms and was hitting PB on my runs throughout my recovery. It's all really mass media hysteria to induce fear into the public.

ShadeeFigs

Reaction score
Well that fills me with some hope but as it stands, although my symptoms were mild, I'd be surprised if I could walk a 1.5 mile never mind full pelt haha.

Aerial

Reaction score
If you're young and fit there's nothing to worry about you'll be fine, I was volunteering for the NHS and caught the rona after a surprise covid test, had absolute 0 symptoms and was hitting PB on my runs throughout my recovery. It's all really mass media hysteria to induce fear into the public.
To what extent the COVID situation is hysteria whipped up by the media is open to debate, however it is not true that if you are wrong and fine you are guaranteed to be fine.

I'm not saying that this will be the case with the OP, but a fit and healthy colleague my age who did boxing training regularly was completely wiped out by the virus. He now has possibly permanent lung damage and has still not returned to full-time work three months after his initial diagnosis.

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
however it is not true that if you are wrong and fine you are guaranteed to be fine.
There is even less evidence that if you are fine you are more likely to be in a bad way.

I'm not saying that this will be the case with the OP, but a fit and healthy colleague my age who did boxing training regularly was completely wiped out by the virus. He now has possibly permanent lung damage and has still not returned to full-time work three months after his initial diagnosis.
Those stories have always happened though, they just never got reported. Loads of healthy people drop dead every year, loads of smokers live until their 90s. What we go on as a society is the average, the probability, not the random odd story. Sadly, the media pickup and propagate the extraordinary and sell it as the ordinary to scare people into clicking their stories.

People now believe they can control that random bad luck aspect of being alive. The negative effects of those controls are causing more damage than the virus ever has, most negative effects won't be felt until next year when the economy collapses and the elderly can't afford to pay for heating and food.

I'm not into living a risky life, I want to mitigate my risks more than anyone. But shutting down the economy, spending more money on covid tests than cancer tests is insane.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Not a medical expert, but from what I've gathered from those who have had the virus, the breathing recovery issue is most significant for those who have had a previous history of respiratory problems or developed secondary respiratory conditions such as pneumonia due to the initial infection.

Many viruses often seem to have a weakening effect and a deterioration of physical fitness due to an inevitable reduction in physical exercise.

My advice? Listen to what your body is telling you as you recover from a viral infection (regardless of type) and don't push yourself too hard whilst recovering.

smashlegs

Reaction score
There’s been cases of ‘young and fit’ people who’ve had it bad, with some cases they’ve died from. I don’t think you can make the assumption that everyone young and fit will be fine because you were, that’s quiet naive. Has it been blow out of proportion, yeah. But I don’t think they’ve deliberately done it to put fear into the public, they gain nothing from that. Instead it’s affecting the economy.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
There’s been cases of ‘young and fit’ people who’ve had it bad, with some cases they’ve died from. I don’t think you can make the assumption that everyone young and fit will be fine because you were, that’s quiet naive. Has it been blow out of proportion, yeah. But I don’t think they’ve deliberately done it to put fear into the public, they gain nothing from that. Instead it’s affecting the economy.
Agreed.

Whilst in the main young fit people tend to be less affected long term, we only have to search this forum using the keyword 'asthma' to gain an appreciation of young and otherwise fit people who are perhaps more vulnerable than they are prepared to admit. Lung scarring still lurks, despite the condition which caused it being 'cured' as the individual grows into adulthood and the lungs mature. Many professional athletes have asthma, or so they claim.

Despite the hype surrounding this particular virus, the threat is very real to those in vulnerable groups. For example, I recently helped out at a veterans care home and was told that they estimated if the virus was transmitted to a resident, they anticipated 30% of the veterans would be lost. These veterans all have relatives who are young and fit, who believe the virus won't affect them as individuals and live their lives oblivious to the threat they could pose to others.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
It's all about perspective, you may be OK but you can infect people who won't be.

Perspectives can be deceptive.

APRIL 2020 -
Covid tests 20,000 per day.
Positive cases 5,000 per day
= 25%

SEPTEMBER 2020 -
Covid tests 230,000 per day
Positive cases 4,000 per day
= 1.7%

There were 50,000 UK Excess Winter Deaths in 2017 and that was WITH a flu vaccine.

FB_IMG_1600929888279.jpg
FB_IMG_1600929608718.jpg
FB_IMG_1600929590885.jpg
FB_IMG_1600929577090.jpg

Statistics can always be twisted to suit the narrative. The above may seem to reinforce your argument. Conversely, it could be that the medical services evolved a better patient care plan this time around and the preventative measures are actually working.