Cpl On a training team question time II

Royal2010

Commando Training Wing & Drill Instructor
Reaction score
Seeing as it has been a few months since the last one and completely buried by other posts I will start one of these again.

So, I'm a Cpl on a TT and currently taking 298 troop from rags to riches. They have just started week 2 of training.

Any burning questions fire away!

Also feel free to PM (I will get back as soon as I am able to)
...... Do not address me as "mate"

Last edited:

stoic_phys

Reaction score
What does the swim sessions normally look like in training and how do they progress?
Cheers.

Royal2010

Reaction score
What does the swim sessions normally look like in training and how do they progress?
Cheers.

I'm not a PTI so I can't for 100% reveal all their wonderful tricks. But what I've seen from the swim sessions I've watched, is a mixture of reps consisting of lengths, widths, underwater (widths) tri-cep dips (on the pool edge), press-ups outside of the pool and team relay races.

You will find a lot of recruits really dislike the swimming as its an absolute lung burner. Hope this has helped.

Stroll147

Reaction score
Just wondering how are people chosen to be on the training team, is it a specilisation or something you volunteer for or are offered to do?

Cheers!

geraltofrivea

Reaction score
What is the biggest weakness among recruits that you've noticed.. if any?

Running, core strength, upper body strength etc?

Royal2010

Reaction score
What is the biggest weakness among recruits that you've noticed.. if any?

Running, core strength, upper body strength etc?

with my previous troop it was core strength that stood out as a weakness. With this troop I can’t notice anything in particular yet.

weakness for all recruits is doing EXACTLY what you are told as there is always a reason to do it a certain way. ATTENTION to detail is another thing which slowly develops whilst in training. Looking over your uniform and bed space in microscopic detail and having the will to correct something that is slightly out.

Those are the main ones that come to mind.

Caversham

Former RM Commando, Moderator
Reaction score
ATTENTION to detail is another thing which slowly develops whilst in training. Looking over your uniform and bed space in microscopic detail and having the will to correct something that is slightly out.

Sound advice from @Royal2010.

Never underestimate the ability of the TT to spot an Irish Pennant on your uniform from 10ft!It's up there with treason! ;)

Alan

Harry McRunFast

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
@Royal2010
Hi Cpl, thanks once again.

Do sections spend much time with just their section commander, or is most of the instruction done as a whole troop?

Thanks!

Figgers

Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to answer questions.

What advice would you give to lads doing kit inspections in the field? What’s the main thing lads get picked up for in the early weeks?

stumpylegs

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
What’s the main thing lads get picked up for in the early weeks?

Dirty weapon, i.e make sure you’ve pulled your barrel through and no rust etc
Sustainability: make sure you can prove you’ve eaten all your food(keep rubbish in a bag) and water bottles are full. Shows you can keep yourself going and fire your weapon because it’s clean. The main thing they care about.

thefellsman

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score

What advice would you give to lads doing kit inspections in the field? What’s the main thing lads get picked up for in the early weeks?

Rust on weapon. When you get asked if you've cleaned it and it clearly has rust on, don't argue with your DS. Just accept the flank.

stumpylegs

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
@Royal2010Do sections spend much time with just their section commander, or is most of the instruction done as a whole troop?!
Only replying because the corporals probably busy.
Most teaches are done as a whole troop. But your section corporal will ask you sometimes what do you need help/reteach with before an exercise. Most times it’s a map reteach.
Also most times it’s your section corporal who inspects you.

Royal2010

Reaction score
@Royal2010
Hi Cpl, thanks once again.

Do sections spend much time with just their section commander, or is most of the instruction done as a whole troop?

Thanks!

The sections spend a lot of time with their section commander in lessons but also come together as a troop.

Royal2010

Reaction score

Weapons > Usually because it takes a few weeks to become good at it and getting inside all of the nucks and crannies.

Normally a bit of everything. A sense of urgency and doing things at a very high tempo when left to your own devices takes a couple of weeks to develop.

Time management takes a couple of weeks also.

This is one of the reasons why the ROP is being introduced. So that all admin issues can be squared away so that week 1 day 1 we have a recruit who is at a decent level of fitness and has a sense of time management and how to correctly conduct their admin.

Royal2010

Reaction score
I have the same question...and how do you divide your troop into sections? Is it random/alphabetic?

Every TT will be different but for 298 we received all your info from your AFCO (as all TTs do) such as family background, sports played, independence, previous military experience (cadets included). That combined with ages decided how we split our sections up evenly to create a balance.

Royal2010

Reaction score
Only replying because the corporals probably busy.
Most teaches are done as a whole troop. But your section corporal will ask you sometimes what do you need help/reteach with before an exercise. Most times it’s a map reteach.
Also most times it’s your section corporal who inspects you.

I am indeed super busy! haha!

I personally spend a lot of time with my section to get the best out of them. I want my section to be the best and I let the troop know that we are the best. This does several things. One gives my section a boost, a platform to perform off as well as expectation. For the other sections, it gets them angry and instils a "Yeah? Well, I'll show you Cpl!"
I'm not married, no kids and live 200m away from the recruits so I spend a lot of time with the troop. I want to train the recruits to the very best they can be.

Royal2010

Reaction score
Rust on weapon. When you get asked if you've cleaned it and it clearly has rust on, don't argue with your DS. Just accept the flank.

Correct bud. Just to expand on your point, It is usually because the Cpl can actually see a spec of rust as we know where to look.
I, personally never flank rct for the sake of flanking them. I don't need to because my expectations are hard to reach anyway.

Wings

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Seeing as it has been a few months since the last one and completely buried by other posts I will start one of these again.

So, I'm a Cpl on a TT and currently taking 298 troop from rags to riches. They have just started week 2 of training.

Any burning questions fire away!

Also feel free to PM (I will get back as soon as I am able to)
...... Do not address me as "mate"
I had an ex royal marine in my platoon and seen 1 other ex marine pass out. Do you get many other re-joiners try for commandos? Maybe even ex regt?

For the others: No I am not asking for myself.

New Threads