Cpl On a training team question time II

Advocado

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I had an ex royal marine in my platoon and seen 1 other ex marine pass out. Do you get many other re-joiners try for commandos? Maybe even ex regt?

For the others: No I am not asking for myself.
I've trained a fair few ex army, RAF and Navy ranks in the past, as well as a few ex foreign forces. Not trained any ex para reg lads but I know a few bootnecks who were para reg beforehand.

Most para-marine or marine-para transfers I have come across have transferred for location reasons. There's no bootneck units in the south east, likewise there are no para units in the SW or scotland.

People don't join to be close to home but when marriages, kids or family illnesses are thrown into the mix things change.

Royal2010

Commando Training Wing & Drill Instructor
Reaction score
I had an ex royal marine in my platoon and seen 1 other ex marine pass out. Do you get many other re-joiners try for commandos? Maybe even ex regt?

For the others: No I am not asking for myself.
Yea, we have an ex Australian Army Lcpl, Ex matelow, Ex army LCpl.

Not had the pleasure of seeing any paras though I heard years ago there was. Was wearing wings on his rig as a nod

Wings

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Yea, we have an ex Australian Army Lcpl, Ex matelow, Ex army LCpl.

Not had the pleasure of seeing any paras though I heard years ago there was. Was wearing wings on his rig as a nod
Surprised he was allowed

Chelonian

Reaction score
Surprised he was allowed
Back in the day there were always a few Recruits at Depot Para wearing wings. Often they'd have previously served in a TA (now Army Reserve) unit. Not unknown for a Recruit to wear wings and a dagger for same reason.

Duality

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Would there be space in a grot for a travel sized guitar and would it be allowed? I was wondering for my son bringing one after summer leave. I know they don't have a lot of time to spare.

Duality

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Just to add some context on behalf of @Powder Monkey I understand that her lad is actually an accomplished guitarist and not the typical guitar mong who is only on page one of the 'Play in a Day' book. :)
:D I was that mong. I tried to learn but when the offspring took the guitar off me and said 'mum, it's supposed to sound like this' I thought my skills were better placed elsewhere.
I tried to play the opening of Sweet Child O Mine. He played the whole song including solo. He was 14 at the time.

Chelonian

Reaction score
He played the whole song including solo. He was 14 at the time.
To be honest, access to guitars is almost certainly linked to the TT's discretion and to where the Troop is in the pipeline. And to whether the guitarist actually has talent.
@Royal2010 might comment if he spots this.

rainbow2

Reaction score
My nod is I 297 troop and this weekend should be his first long weekend home after families day. We haven’t heard anything about families day and understand fully why it needs to be cancelled. Are 297 likely to be allowed home this weekend in light of Covid?
Many thanks

rainbow2

Reaction score
I did laugh thinking early in the week but then thought maybe they have to earn the weekend leave which they won’t know until Thursday/Friday I guess?

Chelonian

Reaction score
I did laugh thinking early in the week but then thought maybe they have to earn the weekend leave which they won’t know until Thursday/Friday I guess?
I honestly couldn't say but jeopardy often encourages greater effort. :)
Bear in mind that TTs also have lives outside of work and everyone enjoys a break.

johno4

Reaction score
I've trained a fair few ex army, RAF and Navy ranks in the past, as well as a few ex foreign forces. Not trained any ex para reg lads but I know a few bootnecks who were para reg beforehand.

Most para-marine or marine-para transfers I have come across have transferred for location reasons. There's no bootneck units in the south east, likewise there are no para units in the SW or scotland.

People don't join to be close to home but when marriages, kids or family illnesses are thrown into the mix things change.
Interesting. Do they have to do P Company if they transfer?

Wings

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Interesting. Do they have to do P Company if they transfer?
Id imagine so. Recently a full screw from 216 signals transferred already with wings all he had to do was live fire training which amazed me.

Royal2010

Commando Training Wing & Drill Instructor
Reaction score
To be honest, access to guitars is almost certainly linked to the TT's discretion and to where the Troop is in the pipeline. And to whether the guitarist actually has talent.
@Royal2010 might comment if he spots this.
Would depend on the training team. Seeing as I am a fairly accomplished guitarist myself I would say yes. There are usually the odd spare locker kicking about.

However it would be highly advised that spare time is used to write up notes neatly into the apprenticeship folder and to revise things they may be struggling with.

Duality

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
That's great. Thank you. He spoke to one of the Padres when he saw some instruments in church. He has been told that he should be concentrating on his admin and paperwork when he has any spare time though. He has plenty of time during summer leave to play.