Cpl On a training team question time II

Wings

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
That's great. Thank you. He spoke to one of the Padres when he saw some instruments in church. He has been told that he should be concentrating on his admin and paperwork when he has any spare time though. He has plenty of time during summer leave to play.
Something like that where he could have 5-10 minutes in a bubble to relax could be really helpful. For me it was the bbc news for 1 minute at breakfast in the scoff house little bit normality

Duality

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
That's great. Thank you. He spoke to one of the Padres when he saw some instruments in church. He has been told that he should be concentrating on his admin and paperwork when he has any spare time though. He has plenty of time during summer leave to play.
Just to clarify, the padre was fine for him to play. It was me that told him to concentrate on his training stuff. He can get a bit lost when he's playing and a couple of minutes turns into an hour.

bigsprinter05

Reaction score
Sort of off topic but can't find any concrete info, is the ROP replacing the PRMC for good?

TheRents

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I suspect the official answer will be no ;)

If I understand correctly ROP was a concept which was in the pipeline to be trialled before the C-19 situation occurred

With the situation we find ourselves in, ROP lends itself perfectly to giving CTC the ability to implement a level of bio security that would not be possible with recruits turning up to the 32 weeks following a PRMC pass

Until the C-19 situation reaches a point when community infections fall to a level deemed acceptable I cannot see selection reverting to PRMC and who knows when that will be!

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Just a question regarding the ROP.

Originally when you would conduct PRMC when you pass you would come back at a later date for RT could be couple or several weeks.
Is family weekend for RT still the 5th week or is it different? Just got me thinking as if you pass the ROP ( 4 weeks) you will go straight into RT.
You will be there for the first 9 weeks before your first weekend leave is this correct?

SCOTTY6

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I’m assuming for obvirus reasons, families day isn’t happening right now and will not for the foreseeable.

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I’m assuming for obvirus reasons, families day isn’t happening right now and will not for the foreseeable.
Fair point makes sense

How does leave work in RT currently then (going home) or is this stopped temporarily also?

Royal2010

Commando Training Wing & Drill Instructor
Reaction score
Fair point makes sense

How does leave work in RT currently then (going home) or is this stopped temporarily also?
Yep. Currently, recruits are allowed ashore in given time frames and depending on what phase they are in they will either take the train or be driven there by coach from camp. Social distancing will be adhered to at all time whilst this COVID craziness carries on.

Royal2010

Reaction score
Just a question regarding the ROP.

Originally when you would conduct PRMC when you pass you would come back at a later date for RT could be couple or several weeks.
Is family weekend for RT still the 5th week or is it different? Just got me thinking as if you pass the ROP ( 4 weeks) you will go straight into RT.
You will be there for the first 9 weeks before your first weekend leave is this correct?
Currently, families day is not happening. If your family want to come down and see outside the camp at a venue elsewhere then that can be done. As long as social distancing is adhered to. (common theme, might as well start putting it in my signature)

Wings

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
About 4 platoons have passed out here and none had a parade infront their families. Gutted for them

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
About 4 platoons have passed out here and none had a parade infront their families. Gutted for them
Totally agree that after all the blood, sweat and tears of recruit training, it must be bloody demoralising to be denied the highlight and the one thing that makes it all feel worthwhile, the chance to shine and for the families and loved ones the opportunity to share that proud, public moment.

I guess the flip-side is that the alternative would have been to press 'pause' on recruitment and training. At the time lockdown was instigated, I was genuinely gobsmacked recruitment and training continued. It seemed to be in complete contravention of everything everybody else was doing and we were not at war, for goodness sake!

In hindsight, I was wrong.

It was essential to crack-on as people were still leaving the services and operationally, the manpower was needed to fill the gaps, maintain UK security at a time we were most vulnerable and indeed, aid the effort to combat the pandemic in UK and overseas.

None of us knew back then how this thing would pan out. We still don't in fact, but I'm pretty sure now some good decisions were made back then.

Caversham

Former RM Commando, Moderator
Reaction score
There is a KSPO today. They recently resurrected 287 Troop, which was kicked into touch because of low numbers. They reformed it a several weeks ago as 287A and comprising entirely of 43 Nods from Hunter. All of them passed everything, including the commando tests.

They have relaxed the rules for parents etc and each Nod has been allowed two guests for a shortened celebration, which is all outside. No Falklands Hall, no lunch and no PU with the TT. It's all outside and they don't get to hug the Nods until they're in the car park outside. There's no weekend leave either, all Nods have to be back on board this evening.

Unfortunately there was hope that the parade would be live streamed on FB, similar to what happened a few months ago, but no mention of this. Shame, as there are some overseas parents, who cannot come over, are really missing out.

Alan

Nellie

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
There is a KSPO today. They recently resurrected 287 Troop, which was kicked into touch because of low numbers. They reformed it a several weeks ago as 287A and comprising entirely of 43 Nods from Hunter. All of them passed everything, including the commando tests.

They have relaxed the rules for parents etc and each Nod has been allowed two guests for a shortened celebration, which is all outside. No Falklands Hall, no lunch and no PU with the TT. It's all outside and they don't get to hug the Nods until they're in the car park outside. There's no weekend leave either, all Nods have to be back on board this evening.

Unfortunately there was hope that the parade would be live streamed on FB, similar to what happened a few months ago, but no mention of this. Shame, as there are some overseas parents, who cannot come over, are really missing out.

Alan
It would be a real shame not to live stream if it's been possible before?! Assuming the whole KSPO will be filmed and can be obtained by each troop though?

Caversham

Former RM Commando, Moderator
Reaction score
It would be a real shame not to live stream if it's been possible before?! Assuming the whole KSPO will be filmed and can be obtained by each troop though?
I agree. The RM Charity done it last time, but nothing on their FB page for this one. I believe it is filmed and edited onto the Troop DVD.

Alan

Royal2010

Reaction score
Can't wait to hear the current nods in the future: "pfff, you've got it easy in training now, back in my day we had to do 36 weeks without going home once!"
Followed by.... "We had to work till 23:00 and only got 6 hours sleep and we first Yomped with full CEMO on week 7"

How times have changed.

Wings

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I recently met some of these blokes who had no pass off they are still gutted and rightly so never wore their 2s.

My favourite moment wasnt marching out onto the parade square it was going into the welfare bar. The screws announce your platoon in and say give a big cheer to the men of (x platoon) and you walk in with all these faces cheering you smiling clapping looking for your family/friends. Such powerful emotions that I had done it. Absolutely amazing wish I could relive it again. And those blokes wont have that ever and its gutting.