Cpl On a training team question time II

Mumma23

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I recently met some of these blokes who had no pass off they are still gutted and rightly so never wore their 2s.

My favourite moment wasnt marching out onto the parade square it was going into the welfare bar. The screws announce your platoon in and say give a big cheer to the men of (x platoon) and you walk in with all these faces cheering you smiling clapping looking for your family/friends. Such powerful emotions that I had done it. Absolutely amazing wish I could relive it again. And those blokes wont have that ever and its gutting.
As a mum THAT was by far the most emotional moment for me when the troop was announced and walked into the bar :)

Rover

Reaction score
Followed by.... "We had to work till 23:00 and only got 6 hours sleep and we first Yomped with full CEMO on week 7"

How times have changed.
o_O:eek:

You were lucky.......;););)
Best not mention sleeping in a wet trench and only having one paper bag to carry your kit in!:(

Royal2010

Commando Training Wing & Drill Instructor
Reaction score
o_O:eek:

You were lucky.......;););)
Best not mention sleeping in a wet trench and only having one paper bag to carry your kit in!:(

Just for clarity, that's not what I went through. That's what today's recruits go through :D:D

Commando2912

Reaction score
So with the new ROP programme now:
1• how does it work doing sub-maximal training ie what’s an example of a sub-maximal physical session you’ll do in ROP?

2• out of the first ROP course ran... what was the thing most people failed on I.e physical tests at the end of the 4 weeks or was it too difficult?

3•with the sub-maximal approach is there a definite reduction in injuries/overuse injuries such as a common one like shin splints?

Cheers in advance to and reply’s!

Royal2010

Reaction score
So with the new ROP programme now:
1• how does it work doing sub-maximal training ie what’s an example of a sub-maximal physical session you’ll do in ROP?

2• out of the first ROP course ran... what was the thing most people failed on I.e physical tests at the end of the 4 weeks or was it too difficult?

3•with the sub-maximal approach is there a definite reduction in injuries/overuse injuries such as a common one like shin splints?

Cheers in advance to and reply’s!
I have answered you on another thread bar 3.

I don't think CTW have enough data yet to see a definite reductions in injuries like shin splints etc.. ROP is still in its infancy and all eyes are watching.

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I have answered you on another thread bar 3.

I don't think CTW have enough data yet to see a definite reductions in injuries like shin splints etc.. ROP is still in its infancy and all eyes are watching.
Any idea of when there is going to be a list of what the physical criteria is as a whole or the scoring system for passing the ROP for people in the application or interested in applying knowing what they have to achieve?

Royal2010

Reaction score
Any idea of when there is going to be a list of what the physical criteria is as a whole or the scoring system for passing the ROP for people in the application or interested in applying knowing what they have to achieve?
No.
As far as I know, nothing has changed in physical testing for the ROP and I'm pretty sure its an RMFA which you will be tested on (not 100% sure on that though). Train how you would usually for a PRMC (Press-ups, Pull-ups, sit-ups, bleep test, 1.5 miler). All these Phys tests are the building blocks for the RMFA and basic gym fitness.

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
No.
As far as I know, nothing has changed in physical testing for the ROP and I'm pretty sure its an RMFA which you will be tested on (not 100% sure on that though). Train how you would usually for a PRMC (Press-ups, Pull-ups, sit-ups, bleep test, 1.5 miler). All these Phys tests are the building blocks for the RMFA and basic gym fitness.
Okay cheers appreciate it

woodyg

Reaction score
Hi would you be able to give an insight into ex violent entry and where does it sit in comparison (difficulty level) to other ex’s

Former AE

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
These exercises are not put there to be easy, they sometimes run on worst case scenario so they will be hard. Spending 4 days in a water filled trench is not the best thing to be doing but its a case of you can't crack me I'm a rubber duck !

Royal2010

Reaction score
Hi would you be able to give an insight into ex violent entry and where does it sit in comparison (difficulty level) to other ex’s
It's up there with one of the hardest field exercises that you will do in training along side final ex.
It incorporates a lot of what you have done in the previous exercises and acts as a consolidation. By this point you should be confident in your abilities to work in a section and troop.
They are honking and hard but probably the most memorable as well. I thoroughly enjoyed both Violent Entry and Final Thrust back in the day bouncing up and down between section IC and 2IC.

Good luck.

Reaction score
It's up there with one of the hardest field exercises that you will do in training along side final ex.
It incorporates a lot of what you have done in the previous exercises and acts as a consolidation. By this point you should be confident in your abilities to work in a section and troop.
They are honking and hard but probably the most memorable as well. I thoroughly enjoyed both Violent Entry and Final Thrust back in the day bouncing up and down between section IC and 2IC.

Good luck.
Hi staff, how many recruits on average form up as an intake and out of that number how many go on to pass out with that troop? Would you say injury is the biggest reason for guys being back trooped or is it military skills/test failures.
Also what advice would you have for anyone wanting to aspire to join SF as soon as possible out of training. Thanks

Royal2010

Reaction score
Hi staff, how many recruits on average form up as an intake and out of that number how many go on to pass out with that troop? Would you say injury is the biggest reason for guys being back trooped or is it military skills/test failures.
Also what advice would you have for anyone wanting to aspire to join SF as soon as possible out of training. Thanks
Not sure of the numbers that start with but anything from 60 - 80 in ROP. Those that will pass out is a guestimate of around maybe 10 / 15 or 20 as each troop is different. So yeah, usually a quarter or less are originals. Alot pass out with other troops due to injury (as I did) or as being back trooped due to failing. The rest simply fail something 3 times in a row and are discharged, medically discharged or leave.

I'm glad you have aspirations for SF. I would say at the earliest opportunity (once passing out from RT) to get onto a briefing course ASAP. There's a clear link that the more you talk about, write about, train for, think about will increase your chances of making.

Obviously, concentrate getting to CTC first and then getting the green lid.

Best of luck.

Grimey Arches

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I've never seen this posted before so thought it would be a good question, to your knowledge what is the oldest recruit that's passed out of CTCRM and what is the longest time someone has spent in RT training before passing out.

Cheers in advance.

Royal2010

Reaction score
I've never seen this posted before so thought it would be a good question, to your knowledge what is the oldest recruit that's passed out of CTCRM and what is the longest time someone has spent in RT training before passing out.

Cheers in advance.
There was a lad who was in his thirties who passed out with me. I also worked with a lad who was 33 when he passed out so pretty much the upper age limit. It can be done!

I know of a recruit years back that had been in a couple of years before passing out. I still know two recruits that are still in training from my original TT of 284 troop who started July of 2019.
It's fairly common to spend around a year before passing out.

Best of luck.

Blackers

Reaction score
With regards to FCF has there been much changes to the syllabus, if you are allowed to say? For example is there now emphasis on CQB in ship environments? Fast roping? And maybe different weapon systems such as C8 and pistol work? Great thread with top answers!

Royal2010

Reaction score
With regards to FCF has there been much changes to the syllabus, if you are allowed to say? For example is there now emphasis on CQB in ship environments? Fast roping? And maybe different weapon systems such as C8 and pistol work? Great thread with top answers!
Hello Blackers, we meet again ;)

Yeah, there has been a big change in the training programme with the new addition of ROP in which you start week -4. With that happening CTC have changed a good deal of the 32 week programme.
From only the quick look I have given the new programme, it seems there are now additional field exercises. In views of content, I know it is the ambition to try and do more CQB work and I know people at CTC are working hard to implement changes to be relevant for FCF. C8's have not been introduced to the programme yet but pistols have featured for a few years now (namely Glock 17) although you don't do a great deal with them. (Personally we should be looking at doing much more work with pistols, marksmanship, transitions etc..) For ship environments, there is a CQB compound at CTC which includes "ship in a box" so there is scope to concentrate on such enviroments.

All the best.

Blackers

Reaction score
Thanks and don’t worry my neck is still very firmly screwed in! Great answer and thanks for taking the time out to reply!