crappy run times!

Wintle

Reaction score
Alright folks, thought this would make an interesting thread! Basically, I have been training for months, and am now doing my 1.5 in around 9.45. However when I first began training, I was so out of shape (mainly due to being a lazy student t*text deleted**text deleted*r) That I was doing the run in literally around 14 minutes. Got me wondrring if anybody else has had this experience? Thought everyone could use this thread to confess to there crappest run times, and give the really unfit buggers(like I was) proof that it can be done!

Wintle

Mr T

Reaction score
Of course mate,

When I first started out I had a time of about 12min odd for my 1.5miler.

Now if I really need to I can get it done in 8min 50sec which I am over the moon with as an improvement!

Similarly, I could only do 27 press ups as I was bodybuilding and I had put on so much body wieght, now i can bang out up to 60

sjuggins

Reaction score
I know what you mean. I only started running properly about 4-5 weeks ago and I could just about run 1.5 miles then and was knackered. Now I can comfortably run 6 miles and my pace is getting quicker every time.

My 1.5 miles is 11:30 at the moment, dire I know, but at least it's going in the right direction... down :D

Jas

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
When I first started I was terrible at running. Hadn't gone running since year 11 which is over two years ago. My 1.5 mile time was over 13 minutes and I had never ran further than 3Km before. Now, my 1.5 is 9:58 (and improving) and I can run 4 miles now. It does take time to improve but 'it will come'

Phoenix

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
What these arent embarrasing times *text deleted* when I started to run 1.5Miles would take me about 22mins *text deleted* hows that for bad :-D

I havent timed myself yet as Im slowly, perhaps too slowly building my running up whilst strengthing my calfes etc.

Rob

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah it used to take me half an hour to do the 3 miler n now its down to 22 so I can see the improvement. Just keep running with maximum effort. But 9.45 for the 1.5 isnt bad at all.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Hiya Wintle Welcome to the site!

If it's any consolation, I'm a 45 year old with absolutely no chance of matching Chis Terrill's (ITV Commando series) level of fitness.

Whilst it may seem hypocritical of me, the advice above seems sound, given my experience of encouraging those applying to pass Commando selection.

(For the record, I'm no expert, however the advice I offer is gleaned first-hand from those that have completed commando training, not my own experience.)

matthewwookie

Reaction score
Hello mate,

I really wouldn't worry about it. I was also pulling 14min times for the mile and a half and now I've just got it under the 10min mark. Also, on the pushups I couldn't do more than ten a few months ago and now I can bang out 5 sets of 20 (not great but a hell of an improvement).

I have to admit, I guess in the time i've been training (2.5 months) these improvements probably aren't great, but I've been taking my time and trying to avoid injury. The one thing I will say is running circuits (sprint/job etc) are invaluable to improving your fitness!!

Cheers

Matt

lord_carl

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
3 weeks before RT and im abismal at press ups, everything else i can nail but press ups are the satan in me