Creatine- Thoughts?

RMC WATKINS

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Evening Lads,
As the title suggest's the topic is Creatine, those of you that have tried it what are your thoughts on this product.

I have tried it a few times and have just brought some more protein with creatine in it, but the times I tried it, it was hard to tell if I put on any mass (especially if any was from creatine). It is very difficult to measure, but whats your thoughts?

And for the record, I hate people that think it is some kind of drug or steriod, when I talked about it to my mates about a year ago now they assumed it was.

Lead Poison1981

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Creatine Monohydrate was pretty potent with me. I used it for about 4 weeks and I was getting quite a few comments about how my muscles were looking 'fuller'.... This was due to water retention.

I sacked it when I noticed my legs were cramping up a lot during running. I don't think it was coincidence as it began when I started taking CM and immediately stopped when I came off it.

On the plus side, I noticed I was able to do a LOT more in the gym.

It just depends on what you want to achieve. I know a few meat-heads who 'cycle' Creatine and are happy with 'fat-muscles', if you know what I mean. Big bellies and big biceps....

I wouldn't bother using it if planning on joining the RM. You can't use it in recruit training so what's the point?

If you are going to take Creatine, take Creatine Monohydrate. Google it.

mkelly

Reaction score
Creatine alone won't make you put on any mass, it makes you capable of putting in more power during each rep, so basically more weight lifted equals more microtears in the muscles which gives more mass when they heal.

The best times to take creatine is 5g before a circuit or weight triaining, and 5g afterwards. This includes sprint sessions.

It won't directly make running any easier, but it does make you better at sprinting, and since sprinting makes you a better runner, it helps with running, just not directly.

There will be people saying its pointless, and for some it will be, as it is naturally found in lots of foods and those people will get enough without supplementing. Personally i find it hard to eat enough creatine rich foods without putting on weight, but lots of people don't.

Also it can upset about 5% of the populations stomachs.

Usain bolt doesnt use it but his diet is rich in red meat, chicken etc. So he might not benefit from it. The body can only use so much of it.

Overall its a great supplement and gives great results. It ain't the worlds most used supplement in history for nothing.

RMC WATKINS

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Creatine Monohydrate was pretty potent with me. I used it for about 4 weeks and I was getting quite a few comments about how my muscles were looking 'fuller'.... This was due to water retention.

I sacked it when I noticed my legs were cramping up a lot during running. I don't think it was coincidence as it began when I started taking CM and immediately stopped when I came off it.

On the plus side, I noticed I was able to do a LOT more in the gym.

It just depends on what you want to achieve. I know a few meat-heads who 'cycle' Creatine and are happy with 'fat-muscles', if you know what I mean. Big bellies and big biceps....

I wouldn't bother using it if planning on joining the RM. You can't use it in recruit training so what's the point?

If you are going to take Creatine, take Creatine Monohydrate. Google it.
Yeah, I've used Creatine Monohydrate in the past a few times, I noticed I had water retention my pecs did seem a tad bigger and so did my stomach.

And the point of using it if I want to go in the marines, well I want to bulk up now even more and improve my strength and endurance, you do not have to take it constantly so I will stop for RT but I do not want to join for a year or so anyway.

Cheers.

jable1066

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Evening Lads,
As the title suggest's the topic is Creatine, those of you that have tried it what are your thoughts on this product.

I have tried it a few times and have just brought some more protein with creatine in it, but the times I tried it, it was hard to tell if I put on any mass (especially if any was from creatine). It is very difficult to measure, but whats your thoughts?

And for the record, I hate people that think it is some kind of drug or steriod, when I talked about it to my mates about a year ago now they assumed it was.
I take it. The science behind it is sound. It's probably the most researched supplement in existence and it works. It's cheap as chips from MyProtein @ about ?5 for 1kg which seems to last a lifetime. I don't care if you can't have it in RT - I'm not in RT yet and I can reap the benefits of it whilst it's available. For the amount of sprinting, lifting, circuits etc. I do I like to keep an arsenal of tricks and tips that help my recovery and allow me to continually train hard and progress! It's a tool though, and it should supplement a diet and training regimen that's already perfectly dialed in. Also, I take it because...

"While it is true that creatine can improve strength and muscle growth beyond normal, I prefer to focus on a recent discovery about creatine, which, instead of being an anabolic effect, is anticatabolic. Creatine may block myostatin production, which can allow significant growth because myostatin is a powerful anti- growth factor. Knock out an antigrowth factor and, consequently, trigger new growth."

Also this: "When dosed properly, creatine increases the amount of glycogen muscles can store and tGLUT action... Creatine augments storage, giving the capacity to store more (glycogen), and hence endure longer, more intense training sessions the next day."

Source: Carb Back-Loading by John Kiefer.

RMC WATKINS

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Creatine alone won't make you put on any mass, it makes you capable of putting in more power during each rep, so basically more weight lifted equals more microtears in the muscles which gives more mass when they heal.

The best times to take creatine is 5g before a circuit or weight triaining, and 5g afterwards. This includes sprint sessions.

It won't directly make running any easier, but it does make you better at sprinting, and since sprinting makes you a better runner, it helps with running, just not directly.

There will be people saying its pointless, and for some it will be, as it is naturally found in lots of foods and those people will get enough without supplementing. Personally i find it hard to eat enough creatine rich foods without putting on weight, but lots of people don't.

Also it can upset about 5% of the populations stomachs.

Usain bolt doesnt use it but his diet is rich in red meat, chicken etc. So he might not benefit from it. The body can only use so much of it.

Overall its a great supplement and gives great results. It ain't the worlds most used supplement in history for nothing.
Yeah I know that I won't put on mass magically but I have a good 'bulking' diet now and have hard sessions 4 times a week, been lifting for over a year now and have put on some good mass, doing everything I can to add more. :smile:

RMC WATKINS

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I take it. The science behind it is sound. It's probably the most researched supplement in existence and it works. It's cheap as chips from MyProtein @ about ?5 for 1kg which seems to last a lifetime. I don't care if you can't have it in RT - I'm not in RT yet and I can reap the benefits of it whilst it's available. For the amount of sprinting, lifting, circuits etc. I do I like to keep an arsenal of tricks and tips that help my recovery and allow me to continually train hard and progress! It's a tool though, and it should supplement a diet and training regimen that's already perfectly dialed in. Also, I take it because...

"While it is true that creatine can improve strength and muscle growth beyond normal, I prefer to focus on a recent discovery about creatine, which, instead of being an anabolic effect, is anticatabolic. Creatine may block myostatin production, which can allow significant growth because myostatin is a powerful anti- growth factor. Knock out an antigrowth factor and, consequently, trigger new growth."

Also this: "When dosed properly, creatine increases the amount of glycogen muscles can store and tGLUT action... Creatine augments storage, giving the capacity to store more (glycogen), and hence endure longer, more intense training sessions the next day."

Source: Carb Back-Loading by John Kiefer.
Nice find's, do you believe you have put mass on with it?
I personally wasn't sure because obviously you can't really control the variables when testing whether it works or not.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
The official line?

Not recommended prior to joining, not allowed after starting RT.

Alex.T

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
i was on for taking products like this but training for my prmc i stopped as ninja has already said you wont have them in RT so i wanted my body to be fresh & clean of them before i joined.

so peronally i would avoid them.

S

stokey_14

i was on for taking products like this but training for my prmc i stopped as ninja has already said you wont have them in RT so i wanted my body to be fresh & clean of them before i joined.

So I take it you wont be eating meat produce before going to CTCRM as you want to be clear of this Amino acid?

Used the supplement my self, 5g a day split into 3 doses. This for me negated the water retention, I used it due to studies that showed it was healthy for contact athletes brain protection.

I noticed mild strength ?gains? however I never noticed the dip when I stopped using like people suggested I would. It is as said the most researched supplement on the market it works and wont harm a healthy person however don?t expect anything massive from it. For me it?s something I?d get if I had the money but wouldn?t worry if I didn?t.

There?s also some articles I read linking usage with increased pressure in leg compartments (not great for a compartment syndrome sufferer) so for the time being I ditched it pending further research.

One thing I do use daily is Beta Alanine, I found this to be much more effective and it help with muscular endurance. There is also research to research that when combined Beta alanine and Creatine compliment each other and work much better than as a stand alone supplement. Could be Supplement hype to get you buying both but in my experience that isn?t such a bad thing.

Always by Creatine Mono and Beta alanine in there simplest form and in bulk as Jable says?. Cheep and effective.

stokey

VTomasi

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score

It's not so much a case of 'fresh and clean' of them. These are naturally occuring harmless substances, which are simply being supplemented, given an increased dosage in order to be able to train harder and longer, and to recover more quickly. No one is suggestion anabolic steroids and growth hormones.

As Jable said, they are tool to be used intelligently and in moderation, in conjuction with a nutritional regime that is on point.

I personally don't like creatine - I don't care for the water retention and it me cramp up when running.

However for recovery I have a protein shake post workout, casein protein shake before bed, I've just ordered BCAAs for before/after workout. Of course add joint care supps to that - omega 3 and I also have Glucosamine HCL & Chondroitin (sound extreme, but it's just joint care).

Honestly, training up almost every day, twice 2-3 days a week, many people need to supplement their diets with a bit extra to aid in recovery.

gym beast

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
i took it constantly for about 9 months, every day in a supplement, and when i stopped i felt so weak and tired without it, so i think its something you need to cycle if your going to use

S

stokey_14

i took it constantly for about 9 months, every day in a supplement, and when i stopped i felt so weak and tired without it, so i think its something you need to cycle if your going to use

Can?t argue with personal experience and I?m a strong believer in doing what works for you. However there is no research to suggest cycling Creatine is any more less effective than taking a 5g a day dose daily, year round.

I personally experience no dip in performance when I came of it, nor did I note any major gain in water retention when using it.

To Keep water retention at bay split your dose through out the day, if cramping and dehydration is an issue, simply drink more fluids.

I think a lot of what people claim Creatine does or doesn?t do is down to placebo. Yes it?s proven and tested but it really isn?t that strong of a compound.

Stokey

RMC WATKINS

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I guess the strength and mass side of it are down to the user, if you have a crap diet you won't make any gains because when it comes down to it diet is 100% and Training is 100% by that I mean if one is wrong the other won't work.

It is like any supplement or product, even if you used steriods (not that I condone its use) and your diet is rubbish you ill make little gains.

Alex.T

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
It's not so much a case of 'fresh and clean' of them. These are naturally occuring harmless substances, which are simply being supplemented, given an increased dosage in order to be able to train harder and longer, and to recover more quickly. No one is suggestion anabolic steroids and growth hormones.

As Jable said, they are tool to be used intelligently and in moderation, in conjuction with a nutritional regime that is on point.

I personally don't like creatine - I don't care for the water retention and it me cramp up when running.

However for recovery I have a protein shake post workout, casein protein shake before bed, I've just ordered BCAAs for before/after workout. Of course add joint care supps to that - omega 3 and I also have Glucosamine HCL & Chondroitin (sound extreme, but it's just joint care).

Honestly, training up almost every day, twice 2-3 days a week, many people need to supplement their diets with a bit extra to aid in recovery.
what i meant was, im not going to use creatine as i would lose the benefits of taking it when i go to RT & stop taking it. If i train without it now ill be ok in RT.

see where im coming from?

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Slightly off on a tangent, but maybe of interest - two RM applicants at my AFCO were TMU at medical today for high protein in their urine which they attribute to using protein shakes within 48 hours of attending the medical.

VTomasi

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
what i meant was, im not going to use creatine as i would lose the benefits of taking it when i go to RT & stop taking it. If i train without it now ill be ok in RT.

see where im coming from?
I see where you are coming from, but the point is that the strength gains that you may make would not all of a sudden be lost once you stop.

Slightly off on a tangent, but maybe of interest - two RM applicants at my AFCO were TMU at medical today for high protein in their urine which they attribute to using protein shakes within 48 hours of attending the medical.
Interesting.. though this may attributed to slightly reduced/weak kidney function as the body should be generally be able to absorb protein consumed.

" Protein is not normally found in urine (if so, in trace amounts). When the kidneys are damaged by diabetes, infection or other, small amounts of protein begin to leak into the urine. If blood sugar levels stay high and early kidney damage is left untreated, larger amounts of protein may be lost, possibly leading to kidney failure."

"There is absolutely no data in healthy adults suggesting that a high protein intake causes the onset of renal (kidney) dysfunction. There aren?t even any correlational studies showing this effect in healthy people." http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071218224437AABMZjJ

"Thus, the mere presence of high protein in urine is itself an indication that there is some kind of kidney disease, or an infection in some other part of the urinary tract." http://www.buzzle.com/articles/high-protein-in-urine.html

Alex.T

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I see where you are coming from, but the point is that the strength gains that you may make would not all of a sudden be lost once you stop.

Interesting.. though this may attributed to slightly reduced/weak kidney function as the body should be generally be able to absorb protein consumed.

" Protein is not normally found in urine (if so, in trace amounts). When the kidneys are damaged by diabetes, infection or other, small amounts of protein begin to leak into the urine. If blood sugar levels stay high and early kidney damage is left untreated, larger amounts of protein may be lost, possibly leading to kidney failure."

"There is absolutely no data in healthy adults suggesting that a high protein intake causes the onset of renal (kidney) dysfunction. There aren?t even any correlational studies showing this effect in healthy people." http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071218224437AABMZjJ

"Thus, the mere presence of high protein in urine is itself an indication that there is some kind of kidney disease, or an infection in some other part of the urinary tract." http://www.buzzle.com/articles/high-protein-in-urine.html
'GYM BEAST-i took it constantly for about 9 months, every day in a supplement, and when i stopped i felt so weak and tired without it, so i think its something you need to cycle if your going to use'

This is exactly what i thought.... logically thinking if you use something for strength gains & then you stop you will generally lose them gains.

just my view..

VTomasi

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
'GYM BEAST-i took it constantly for about 9 months, every day in a supplement, and when i stopped i felt so weak and tired without it, so i think its something you need to cycle if your going to use'

This is exactly what i thought.... logically thinking if you use something for strength gains & then you stop you will generally lose them gains.

just my view..
Gymbeast did not cycle the supplement, as is recommended. Remember it is a supplement, it supplements your diet and training. It is not to be depended upon or used excessively.

And logically, if you make strength gains, on a supplement or not, your muscles have developed and are more powerful and the gains should remain. Creatine doesn't create artificial strength, it is a fundamental chemical that supplies energy to the muscles.

I don't like it, I don't use it, but there are arguments for it and it does work.

S

stokey_14

Exactly Vito. Two athletes in a parallel world train in exactly the same manner, have the same genetic make up etc

Only difference is one takes creatine daily for a year of training.(call him Mr A) and one does not (Mr B)

Mr A?s deadlift goes up 60 Kg Mr by?s 40 Kg due to the aculitive afect of creatine use.

Month later when Mr A drops the creatine he?s lost 5-10 Kg Mr B has retained all gains. Mr A is still 10-15 Kg stronger than Mr B and due to this extra strength can use more weight on the bar, causing more of an training effect and thus over the next 12 months will continue to stay stronger than Mr B.

Poorly put I know but basically gain?s made on creatine do not disappear unless the athlete allows them to or gets weighed down with a placebo effect .

Stokey