Criminal record help....!

Rigger

Reaction score
Hello lads. Been looking at the site for a while now, and am very impressed. Well done. Just got a quick question, if anyone can help, as I don't want to sound like a idiot in the careers office. I got convicted of possesion of a class C substance about four years ago. Stupid mistake when I was young and a total idiot! Would this stop me from joining up? :confused:

v3locity

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Wouldnt be able to say with any certainty without looking at the rehabilitation thingy, but i should think that 4 years ago would mean that your fine to join. However as said above wait for Ninja to say with any certainty.

Rigger

Reaction score
Cheers for the quick reply lads. I think it's classed as 'spent' now, but just wanted to make sure! F@@king thing, knew it would come back to haunt me. Another quick one, just got a copy of the training programme off the Royal Marines web site, looks ok, anyone tried this one?

Qwerty123

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Also interested in this.

Is the thing about "conviction for trafficking or dealing of controlled substances" final, or is does that come down to individual cases?
Would someone that had been convicted for something like that ever stand a chance of getting in, if they demonstrated they had truly changed their ways? Or is something like that a total bar on application?

Just to clarify, none of the above are relevent to me but just interested as to how much say the AFCO has....

Good luck Rigger!

v3locity

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
As long as your conviction is spent then i should assume there is no bar to entry.

spartan

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
it will also help in your interview if u show that you are genuinly sorry and have changed *text deleted* ways

john boy

Reaction score
hi rigger,when i went in for my application form they gave me a sheet with different timescales of how long u will have to wait to apply after different convictions.i am not at home at the moment but when i get back tomorrow il see if i have still got it and let u know what it says unless someone else on here may have it with them and can fill u in.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score

The Rehabilitation of Offenders act quoted above is broadly similar to the that we use to determine whether or not you are eligible to apply to join the Armed Forces. The quoted document above is the Scottish version, so there may be slight legal differences. The penalty and the offence are two different things- you may have been rehabilitated with regard the penalty but in some cases the offence could be a permanent bar to entry.

One thing you must be aware of is this:

Exceptions to the Act

Various kinds of employment, occupations and professions are exempted from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 by Exclusions and Exceptions

These include occupations that fall into the following at risk categories:
* Work involving matters of national security

If you have any convictions which are unspent (read the explanation inside the form) you must declare them. The Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (MOD Form 493- written on the top right hand corner, as supplied by your AFCO), states that if you have no criminal convictions, or spent convictions, you simply sign & date it.

BUT- When you complete your Security Clearance form (MOD Form 1109) ALL convictions must be declared. If you have anything to declare, you may detach the page & place it in a sealed, signed & attached (stapled) envelope.

You should be aware:

CANDIDATES WHO ARE NOT ELIGIBLE FOR ENTRY

1. Candidates are not eligible for entry into the Naval Service and are not to be processed with any of the following unspent convictions:

a. Hospital Order.

b. Sexual offences (including those listed on the Sex Offenders Register).

c. Offences involving loss of life.

d. Arson.

e. Misuse of Drugs.

In addition, the following drugs offences may be a bar to entry:

(I) Any offence relating to Trafficking or Supply of drugs.

(II) Any offence relating to the use of Class A drugs.

(III) More than one conviction for "possession for personal use" of a Class B or C drug.

f. Three or more offences against persons, property, dishonesty or serious motoring offences.

In short if you were only carrying enough for personal use, as long as the penalties have expired you should be OK if only prosecuted once, however if you were carrying enough to be charged with intent to supply then it's goodbye I'm afraid.

Rigger

Reaction score
Thanks again for all your replies lads. It was just possesion, 'not' with the intent to supply or anything!

Sure no one will beleive me but it wasn't even f@@king mine, just caught up with the wrong sort of people and dragged into things I shouldn't have.:doh: But not going to moan, you have to pay for your mistakes.

The best thing I think is to get down the AFCO and see whats what!

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Thanks again for all your replies lads. It was just possesion, 'not' with the intent to supply or anything!

Sure no one will beleive me but it wasn't even f@@king mine, just caught up with the wrong sort of people and dragged into things I shouldn't have.:doh: But not going to moan, you have to pay for your mistakes.

The best thing I think is to get down the AFCO and see whats what!

Sadly it's often our "friends" who aren't joining who can drag you down & mess up your potential career for you. The thing to remember whilst chillin' with the dope-smoking dudes, is that they don't give a rats whether you join or not, so they are best avoided because if you are picked up hangin' with the local massive, the police may not differentiate between the rest of them & you.

If I had a penny for every person that told me that the drugs weren't theirs, but they were carrying them for a friend, I'd have about 76P now, nearly enough to buy a lottery ticket.

Best of luck to you- everyone accepts we all make mistakes through our lives & fortunately your indiscretion appears minor enough to be forgiven.

Yes, for those wondering, sometimes I amaze myself with my correct usage of street patois, bro'

AdamG

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I dont think you smoking or selling weed 4 years ago should have any effect on your future to becoming a Commando.

Unless you were a drug lord, then I'd understand!

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
I dont think you smoking or selling weed 4 years ago should have any effect on your future to becoming a Commando.

Unless you were a drug lord, then I'd understand!

Actually, that's an incorrect assumption- if you were selling weed EVER (ie: TRAFFICKING), it can make you ineligible for entry.

Likewise if you were fined simply for posession, it's 5 years rehabilitation from date of conviction. (Subject to reduction by half if under 17 on date of conviction):

...the following drugs offences may be a bar to entry:

(I) Any offence relating to Trafficking or Supply of drugs.

(II) Any offence relating to the use of Class A drugs.

(III) More than one conviction for "possession for personal use" of a Class B or C drug.

f. Three or more offences against persons, property, dishonesty or serious motoring offences.

In short if you were only carrying enough for personal use, as long as the penalties have expired you should be OK if only prosecuted once, however if you were carrying enough to be charged with intent to supply then it's goodbye I'm afraid

v3locity

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
How on earth can you say with any certainty that you have 76p?
*text deleted*

Matt B

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
just on a slight side note, I have 3 criminal convictions from nearly 5 years ago, and although my AFCO was not best impressed, my PRMC is booked for 13th Jan . (none are drug related)

I also decided to tell the warrant officer in my interview that I had experimented with drugs in the past.

In my opinion people who have briefly dabbled and decided against them strongly are more certain not to be tempted by them in the future than someone who has had absolutely no experience or contact. Those people are more likely to still be curious.

by the way, anyone on 13th Jan?

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
just on a slight side note, I have 3 criminal convictions, and I have had no problems getting in. (none are drug related)

I also decided to tell the warrant officer in my interview that I had experimented with drugs in the past.

He seemed to suggest that he prefered someone who had briefly dabbled and decided against them strongly than someone who had had absolutely no experience or contact. Those people are more likely to still be curious.

by the way, anyone on 13th Jan?

It would be incorrect to suggest that having criminal convictions does not affect your suitability for service, nor influence the overall selection decision.

The issues are at least three-fold:

What the offences were, whether they are disclosed/regretted and whether the penalties incurred are spent.

Anyone with more than two offences against the person, serious debt, adverse references or drug trafficking offences for example, whilst possibly passing selection interview, need not necessarily expect to be granted security clearance & thus could still become ineligible for entry even after passing PRMC. You aren't accepted fully into the service until after completing Recruit Training & can be rejected & discharged at any stage before this time without the need for legal proceedings, should you be found unsuitable during training.

The issue with regard drugs is the individuals acceptance that they are not tolerated within the service & the acceptance that despite previous transgressions, remorse is convincingly revealed at interview.

The service accepts that around 86% of people over 15 years of age have tried drugs in some way shape or form, it also recognises that we do not recruit exclusively from the supposed remaining 14% of the population.

To dispel all the myths surrounding Compulsory Drugs Testing in the Royal Marines, it has recently been announced that ALL Recruits will be tested for drugs during initial Recruit Training. (Previously it was just an average of 53%). There was also a duff rumour that all samples weren't tested- just to confirm- they ALL are.

Rigger

Reaction score
Sadly it's often our "friends" who aren't joining who can drag you down & mess up your potential career for you. The thing to remember whilst chillin' with the dope-smoking dudes, is that they don't give a rats whether you join or not, so they are best avoided because if you are picked up hangin' with the local massive, the police may not differentiate between the rest of them & you.

If I had a penny for every person that told me that the drugs weren't theirs, but they were carrying them for a friend, I'd have about 76P now, nearly enough to buy a lottery ticket.

Best of luck to you- everyone accepts we all make mistakes through our lives & fortunately your indiscretion appears minor enough to be forgiven.

Yes, for those wondering, sometimes I amaze myself with my correct usage of street patois, bro'

You are very true Ninja_Stoker..... I think??, can't quite work out the first bit of your post! :cheesy:

Haven't managed to get down to the AFCO, work is a nightmare! But I feel alot better for asking and getting some advice.

Thanks everyone!

yanto

Reaction score
criminal record

can anyone help me out on this one lads?.. 4 1/2 years ago i got into a punch up in town and ended up getting arrested for violent order, criminal damage to a police car and assaulting a police officer. although i didn't physically assault the officer (as ashamed as i am) i spat at him... in 6 months the conviction is spent and I'm trying to find out if I'll be OK to join?... i am ex army and spent 6 years in the royal engineers, serving in kosovo in 2001 and Iraq 2003. I'm hoping that will go in my favour. can anyone help me on this one, cheers lads.