Crippled marine challenges payout

Big T

Civilian Member
Reaction score
wagwan
I was reading the paper on Sunday and came across a artilce that sates

''A Royal Marine who lost both legs and an arm while serving in Afghanistan is challenging the Ministry of Defence (MoD) to award him full compensation.

Mark Ormrod, 24, from Plymouth, was critically injured on Christmas Eve when he stepped on a landmine.

The MoD has offered him £214,000 compensation rather than the maximum payout of £285,000.''

Now going to serve for my country and Queen i dont have a problem with, but if anything was to happen to me would my family be looked after. Or me let say.
Does anyone now, or what they take is on this

Stacka

Army Commando
Reaction score
Now going to serve for my country and Queen i dont have a problem with, but if anything was to happen to me would my family be looked after. Or me let say.
Does anyone now, or what they take is on this
Best thing to do T, is the following:

Write a will, nominate what you want doing with what, also your wishes if you were to die. Youd be surprised how things go when people die. (and coming froma bikers back ground *text deleted* lost a few mates, and been at funerals i know arent to their wishes)

Secondly, get private insurance to cover all the way up to death. Sounds morbid, but in our line of work its a reality. There are some companies out there best off googling them.

!!! I must stress, so so important to get a will done....i have no family now, through death or not wanting to know, so if your like me and want people to know should the worst happen a will is the most legaly binding way to do this !!

Woody

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I *text deleted* admit this thread is slightly depressing.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Live with it woody, its a reality.

We just got to make sure we have each others backs.
Yep, harsh reality chaps.

There are supplementary "in service" insurance schemes that cover combat injury as well as accident injury. My advice is shop around- make sure you're covered for all eventualities from the very start. DON'T go for the first, most convenient or easiest (financial) option offered.

It is hugely upsetting to see a young guy such as this terribly injured & the paltry payouts awarded compared to those who get far more for far less hurt. (I'm struggling not to mention Ms Mills). Unfortunately that is life, but as 100% correctly stated, make a will & look after each other.

Stacka

Army Commando
Reaction score
Yep, harsh reality chaps.

There are supplementary "in service" insurance schemes that cover combat injury as well as accident injury. My advice is shop around- make sure you're covered for all eventualities from the very start. DON'T go for the first, most convenient or easiest (financial) option offered.

It is hugely upsetting to see a young guy such as this terribly injured & the paltry payouts awarded compared to those who get far more for far less hurt. (I'm struggling not to mention Ms Mills). Unfortunately that is life, but as 100% correctly stated, make a will & look after each other.
Agreed,

Keep safe, but think about your families. Not all families can afford to pay for round the clock care should some thing drastic happen.

And in my situation, i have no one to look after me. Im on my own. So unless you want state care (which is awful) I suggest you take head to what is beaing said here.

Lets stick together and deal with it together

CommandoJ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Do you have to pay someone to do a will to make it official?

CJ

Stacka

Army Commando
Reaction score
make what official?

funeral arrangements, financial? which part are you refering too.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
When you deploy (aged over 18) you are given a free MoD Will Form to complete & given appropriate guidance (again free).

Generous aren't they?