Crossfit, BMF ... Etc

Moody1993

Reaction score
Just seeing loads of people soon things like crossfit and BMF it's making me worried that my training won't be good enough because I'm not doing any of these I'm just training under my own steam

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
Just remember these are all very recent training programs, thousands of recruits have passed out of RT without them.

C

C

Just remember these are all very recent training programs, thousands of recruits have passed out of RT without them.
Completely agree with the above, the RM at my AFCO told me he didn't go near a gym or anything in training to join. All you really need to do is bodyweight exercises and cardio anything else is additional and not strictly necessary although it may aid you in certain ways (then again it may also hinder you eg. becoming too big and your cardio suffers), training under your own steam has it's benefits as well ,as you learn to motivate yourself and not rely on a BMF instructor shouting at you or having someone watching you in the gym etc.

Kentish

Reaction score
Yeah agree with the above, I see them as something to supplement your training. I don't do crossfit but I'm following the games and I like the principles. As long as you're getting results needed, why bother with anything else?

CrossFit is designed to supplement your "sport" anyway, I believe, so it's in no way necessary and you can even do some of the workouts at home (we will start getting some of those bodyweight WODs set up soon).

I do BMF, and again, I use it to supplement my training. I try to do 2+ sessions a week (dependent upon work hours) but I think that's all that is necessary in order to incorporate your own training with that.

Baron

Reaction score
Don't worry, bro.

Circuits, circuits, circuits.

BMF, Crossfit et al are excellent additions in my opinion, but certainly not essential.

Moody1993

Reaction score
Cheers guys I'll just carry on as I am doing seen as I am improving all my stats :)

WelshLad91

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Don't worry about it, plenty of sprints, circuits, distance runs, fartlek and you'll be fine.

ryan354

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I wouldnt get too caught up with the Cross fit stuff, from what *text deleted* seen and heard its just adding a brand name to normal fitness training that people have been doing for years anyway.

Remember fitness is an industry and has to make money and promote "new ideas" so sometimes they make things that exist a big deal.

Just reasearch programmes from different Strength and conditioning coaches etc likes evil russian press up, 100 press up workout, fighter pull up programme and kettlebells etc and put your own circuits and training together.

Ryan

Baron

Reaction score
I wouldnt get too caught up with the Cross fit stuff, from what *text deleted* seen and heard its just adding a brand name to normal fitness training that people have been doing for years anyway.

Remember fitness is an industry and has to make money and promote "new ideas" so sometimes they make things that exist a big deal.

Just reasearch programmes from different Strength and conditioning coaches etc likes evil russian press up, 100 press up workout, fighter pull up programme and kettlebells etc and put your own circuits and training together.

Ryan
You Sir, are in big trouble!

Jbc

Royal Marines Commando -Moderator
Reaction score

Ryan
Wait, people have been integrating high-intensity Olympic lifting and gymnastics techniques into circuit training for years?

I've been doing crossfit for nearly 6 months and it's not managed to gain a single penny out of me so far.

Blorange

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
i do cardio - circuit - cardio - circuit ect

running (running machine or outdoors)

and circuit i can do it in pretty much any room of the house :)

15 press ups
20 knees to chest
20 squats
4 pull ups
5 burpees
20 alt knees to elbows
15 tricep dips
20 half sits
10 lunges each leg

20 press ups
25 knees to chest
25 squats
6 pull ups
10 burpees
25 alt knees to elbows
20 tricep dips
20 half sits
20 lunges each leg

15 press ups
20 knees to chest
20 squats
4 pull ups
5 burpees
20 alt knees to elbows
15 tricep dips
20 half sits
10 lunges each leg

thats the circuit i do every other day, feels good on your core muscles.

(also if you dont have a pull up bar, you can buy one on amazon for ?15, i got it and its great, just make sure your walls and doorframe can support your weight)

you dont need a gym to get fit.

jable1066

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score

Ryan
I have to half agree. Crossfit HQ are very much trying to get every penny they can out of peoples almost cult like following of Crossfit. They've absolutely milked the 'Life as Rx'd' type affair, and people are all too willing to buy all the latest gear. And I'm not all that sure doing high intensity oly lifts is really something Crossfit should brag about. In a large % of people, they sacrifice form to beat their last time on a WOD or the guys next to them. Plus, high rep oly lifts kind of defeat the purpose of an oly lift. They are good for conditioning yes, but I can't help but think that's partly why the Russians invented the Kettlebell - so they could take advantage of high rep ballistic lifts... but safely and effectively.

Also, Glassman is a lunatic.

With all that said - there are certainly plenty of decent WODs that CF has come up with. And as a system, for those who have general goals and want to push themselves it's pretty damn good. I think I'm just tired of the 'workout until you puke/lie on your back because a WOD literally killed a part of you/shirt off/bromance/unsafe practice of movements/badly structured strength programs' type atmosphere. Of course this is largely down to the person doing CF to change or the coaches, not the actual idea of Crossfit itself.

After doing it for just over a year, I've come to love it and then slowly grown to dislike a lot of it. I think there's so many arguable better things you can do that achieve better goals for most people. Of course if you want to be good at the sport, Crossfit - then it requires that you do Crossfit... But even then I highly doubt elite level CF athletes follow CF mainsite, or even anything resembling a typical CF protocol.

Finally, to round my rant. I think it is what you make of it. For most people it's so different to anything they've ever done their bodies just flip out and start adapting like crazy. After a while... your body gets fed up of smashing WODs in the face every day and begins to hate you. If you follow something well thought out though, I guess it can be good. Though, things like CF Football, which are well regarded generally program a lot of things that aren't actually 'CF'... i.e. sprinting, prowler for conditioning, 5x5 for strength, 40 yard dash drills, burpees, kettlebells etc.