CTCRM to close in latest rounds of cut backs

News

RSS Feed
Reaction score
News has been announced in parliament that the Royal Marines training base at Lympstone, Devon is to close later this year.

Link Removed

Admin Edit: this is an April Fool's Joke

The Bishop

Active User
Reaction score
My cosin is in training at lympstone now and said he heard romours about this 2 weeks ago.

but didn't know if it was confirmed or not

he said they were still trying to fight it

Robfo

Reaction score
That, if true, is *text deleted**text deleted* beyond belief.

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
OK I think we need to lock this until Ninja can confirm or deny it.

I have also heard rumours but didn't want to say anything.

But at this stage it is still just hear say.

All the best
GW

News

RSS Feed
Reaction score
Shock as Royal Navy Base set for closure

Recent rumours of a possible merger between the Parachute Regiment and Royal Marines moved one step closer yesterday with the news that the Royal Navy's Commando Training Base is to close in late 2008.

Link Removed

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I'm still lost, is it because of April fools and it's all just a big joke or is it actually happening *text deleted*, the army and navy could never combine.

Caversham

RM Commando, Crossed The Bar 13/12/2020
Reaction score
This is a joke right? :eek:
Every time there is an SDR due, the rumours start and the Corps, who do have their opponents in other arms of the Services, are always included.

Lots of speculation will take place as who, when and why and this time round will be no exception, unless you're in the Brigade of Guards, or the current CDS is on your Christmas card list, in which case you're exempt!

Alan

ChapStick

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Why do people feel the need to make things like this up? I don't get it?

"freddie"

Former Royal Marines SNCO.
Reaction score
To wind up people who will belive it I imagine. ;)

Caversham

RM Commando, Crossed The Bar 13/12/2020
Reaction score
Why do people feel the need to make things like this up? I don't get it?
I think that it's generally classed as "speculation". When there is budget cuts, no matter what the industry or organisation, all the "budget holders", scream "Not Me, we're special!" and point the finger at another part of the organisation. The Corps has been at the centre of this for some years now and has been "reduced" in size many times since I was in.

50 years ago there were four Commando Units, 40, 41, 42 and 45. Plus every warship from a frigate upwards had a RM Detachment on board. An SDR done away with 41 Cdo and ship's detachments as no longer being necessary.

Nowadays, we have 3 Commando Units, plus 30 Cdo, 43 Cdo, Cdo Log Regiment, 1 Assault Group RM etc, etc plus we make up 40% of badged SF operatives. So like a good organisation, if the Corps is cut, we go away and invent another way of proving our worth!

The downside is that the CDS is generally staffed from either the Army or the RAF, who tend to look after their own. When the RN does get the appointment, they tend to look after the Grey Funnel Line. I mean they do have two large carriers to pay for, which currently have no aircraft!

Alan

ChapStick

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Oh right I see. Thank you for explaining that. I genrally thought it was true ha.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
As can be seen by the start date of this thread, every time a defence review is even thought of, the rumour mill kicks-off. It's a wind-up.

It's my firm belief that rumours are deliberately started, usually describing "worst case scenarios" so that anything finally decided is seen as being far more palatable.

In actual fact, I wasn't aware of any deference review in the news but suspect this article probably sparked the rumours:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...tting-Army-to-60000-says-former-minister.html