Current affairs at the moment and opinions

Discussion in 'Current & Military Affairs Discussion Forum.' started by GreyTintin, May 22, 2017.

1. GreyTintin

GreyTintin New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Hello all,

Just wanted to hear a few recent opinions on current affairs as well as what you chaps think are the most pressing issues of the day.

To put forward a few topics:

- Department of Justice in America appointing a special prosecutor, Robert Mueller, to investigate Donald Trump's links to Russia. Personally, I can imagine his work will take months - by which point Trump would have engulfed himself in a different scandal altogether.

- The US flouting of the Russian-established 'no fly' zones in Syria in air attacks on Assad's forces. The Americans have said for a long time that they wouldn't work with the Assad regime - having bombed Assad's airbases recently after the chemical attack.

- The crisis in Yemen - with the UK selling arms to Saudi Arabia (who have been hitting targets all across Houthi-held Yemen from hospitals to funerals,) we could become liable for war crimes by association. Iran is propping up the Houthis in a proxy war against their rivals, Saudi Arabia.

Just a starting point. What are the most pressing major issues that exist today in your opinions?

2. OldmanL

OldmanL Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    The whole Yemen thing is a disgrace, if its all true then the government should be taken to task on it. Bombing innocent people like that is a war crime, can't believe we've profited off of it.

3. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Leaving the EU. Stopping the globalist, communist, totalitarianism agenda in its tracks. Protecting freedom and liberty for all.
    Stopping the freedom of movment and ensuring security.

State sponsored Mosques and backdoor funding of Radical Islam in European countries by certain Middle eastern ones.

Stopping the cancer that is liberal, granola eating, wet lettuce, limp wristed, left wing snowflakes from destroying everything.

The price of milk.

• Like Like x 6
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 4
  4. Harsh

Harsh Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet

5. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

We will all know when the President of the United States is under real pressure: the USA will launch a massive military operational strike somewhere (anywhere) in the world.
    I'm not a betting man (Spoof excepted) but if I were, I'd wager that major US missile strikes will be deployed within two weeks of the president's return from his current foreign tour.

It will be a distraction technique to shift the focus away from growing perceptions that his administration is chaotic and that he is mentally unwell.

• Like Like x 1
  6. GreyTintin

GreyTintin New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Totally agree with you there. The UK has a horrific strategy with the Yemen crisis - at any one time we are selling arms and equipment to Saudi Arabia to replace those lost in battle with the Houthis - which are then used against innocent civilians for the most part - while also funding relief efforts and charitable organisations who are on the ground in Yemen. Although Boris Johnson has said some questionable things in his time, when he called out this blatant hypocrisy in Parliament it was staggering how many politicians, including No. 10, who distanced themselves.

7. GreyTintin

GreyTintin New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    You've got a point there. When Trump launched the missiles against Assad's airfield in Syria that silenced the 'Trump in bed with the Russians' rhetoric for a while, if only a matter of days. Maybe he could turn to the South China Sea area or North Korea? They've been dropping hints of wanting military action left, right and centre

8. OldmanL

OldmanL Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    It was a while back now but i remember vaguely a Scottish MP asking Theresa May in Parliament about bombs being built in Scotland ( i think) and then sold to Saudi so they could then bomb Yemen, She managed to go and not answer it with any conviction or clarity.. press said nothing. Shambles.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Fibonarchie

Fibonarchie Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Just a quibble on the title, what current affairs aren't at the moment...

;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  10. GreyTintin

GreyTintin New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    You've got me there mate. Slight oversight on my part, won't happen again ;)

11. GreyTintin

GreyTintin New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    I do find it staggering how much leniency we have for a nation with a country with such a poor record on human and women's rights a well as a country which is causing such carnage in one of the most unstable countries in the world.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  12. Hopeful Greybeard

Hopeful Greybeard Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    Preventing things like this happening again:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-40010124

They were kids at a concert, that anyone could even think of inflicting death and violence upon them is sickening. There's no excuse; no "What they did is inexcusable but you need to understand...", no "[X] community will be the real victims due to backlash and fear", none of that tired old noise. This is horrifying. This is disgusting. I'm not a man given to emotional responses but I'm full of a mix of fury and sorrow at this and am only just clinging on to the stoic British reserve my father drilled into me. Kids though, murdered kids...:mad:-vomit-

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 5
    • Seen Seen x 1
  13. Rob20

Rob20 Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    With you there brother. Cue the liberals. Absolutely disgusting.

Thoughts are with those effected.

• Like Like x 1
  14. OldmanL

OldmanL Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Killing kids at a gig on a monday night... What a brave brave man.....

15. Harsh

Harsh Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    My Latino temper came out this morning at work, beginning to get a bit fed up of people just saying pray for the victims over and over again.

Not really sure what we can do but something needs to change or this will keep happening. We have 22 dead kids and adults. You can't just carry on as normal.

• Like Like x 1
  16. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Brace yourselves. The liberal apologists are coming.

• Like Like x 5
    • Disagree. Disagree. x 1
  17. MiniCheddars

MiniCheddars New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Couldn't agree more Harsh. It's the same story over and over, people die and politicians give speeches 'we shouldn't let this change our everyday lives we must carry on as normal....' until the next time it happens and the process repeats.

• Like Like x 1
  18. robbo09

robbo09 Member

Just waiting for the 'it was a lone wolf' with some sort of mental issues that didn't know what he was doing.

We'll also have a candle lit gathering in a form of solidarity and changing of Facebook profiles for love for Manchester to make it all better and solve the problem.

...and as I speak play that black eyed peas song 'where is the love' on the radio. As that will defeat the root cause of it.

• Like Like x 4
  19. pm12131

pm12131 Member

It is right and proper that the news and my twitter feed is filled with people expressing "solidarity in the face of barbaric attacks and we must stand strong together because the intention of these attacks is to divide us" etc. Many of those who feel impacted by this attack use social media as an outlet.

With that said terrorist attacks such as this may be seeking to divide and undermine our democracy and tolerant culture, but I can't help but feel like many people are forgetting that the most likely primary motivation behind these attacks is simply to kill us.

Expressing solidarity on social media and not reporting the name or motivation of the attacker may make us feel better but from the point of view of the suicide bomber it was mission accomplished the moment he pressed the button. No amount of "Je suis Manchester" will change that or help to stop the next attack.

• Like Like x 1
  20. cc1

cc1 RAF Commando Officer (former RM)

Domestic:
    Manchester bombings
    NHS cyber attacks
    Drones
    Re-rolling 42 Commando
    General Election
    Brexit

International:
    Growing humanitarian disaster in Sudan
    North Korea successfully launched something(?!)
    Trump and ties with Russia
    Trump trying to reset ME policy direction
    Ongoing Russian expansionism - Both into Georgia, Ukraine and more importantly towards the North pole.
    Arctic 'Doomsday' vault compromised thanks to global warming.

• Like Like x 3