Current New Joining Process - V-PJFT & ROP

The guide

Ex RAF, Ex Royal Marines, now RN.! go figure
Reaction score
Gents /Ladies

As I am sure most of you are aware, the processes for joining have changed slightly due to COVID and also for additional reasons and this has resulted in candidates being unsure as to what they will be doing in the process. Below is a rough guide to the new bits along the way and some of the reasons and logic behind the changes.

First off the RM / RN Navy is still recruiting, the only exception being overseas candidates, they should speak to the Overseas desk for clarification on how they stand.

1. Initial Application - no change - submit via the RN website and it will be passed to your geographical AFCO and they will contact you. All applicants are now asked to upload Educational Certificates to be used on a scoring system that replaces the Recruit test in the current climate, If you cannot produce these fear not your application will go forward and you will likely sit the recruit test at CTCRM (during ROP ?). This includes those that were due to sit exams this year as well as those that no longer have their certificates. This applies to both those who no longer have their certificates and those yet to gain them as no exams taken (year 11 & 13 students).
Edit - AFCO, s can and are now conducting recruit testing if you do not have any educational certificates

2. Conduct a selection interview via Skype / Phone - use this site's search function to get as much info about the Corps in all respects as you can.! or of course the RN website.

2. Medicals - Once you have completed your interview you will be sent your medical paperwork, once completed and sent to Capita they will conduct a Triage phone call, your application will still be progressed without Eyesight being done at this point - do not worry if made TMU for this issue only! it will progress. Face to Face Medicals are currently being done, but expect a delay due to a backlog and being allocated on a priority basis. (V-PJFT follows passing your Face 2 Face Medical)

4. PJFT - A virtual PJFT + has been trailed with both passes and fails.!. This is a set of physical tests (guide available in another thread on the board), that are viewed via video with a PTI from CTCRM watching if you pass you can be loaded onto a 4-week Recruit Orientation Phase (ROP) and Recruit training on completion and passing the Face to Face medical. - You do get more than one go at this serial if you fail. - You do join up and you are paid.!..Why a virtuaL PJFT Covid has obviously played a major part in this, but also it eliminates unfiltered maximal testing - which PRMC in it,s old format was - and allows for a gradual build-up process under controlled conditions with maximal testing taking place on the CAA (described below) and this is due to some incidents (not from the RM) when candidates were maximal tested who had Sickle Cell trait which is often carried by members of the BAME community.

5. ROP - This 4-week phase will draw in the induction period & is in addition to the 32 weeks of basic training and will work on basic skills and fitness. At the end of the phase, you will be tested physically on a
Commando Aptitude Assessment (CAA) – which will incorporate greater levels of PT, determination, and mental resilience. The reason for the ROP is reducing the current ‘shock of capture’ experienced on arrival at CTCRM; better prepare recruits for mainstream Recruit Training; and, reduce the likelihood of Musculoskeletal Injury (MSKI). Therefore getting more ranks through the 32 weeks of recruit training.
If you fail the CAA you will have 3 options

1, Repeat ROP and retake CAA - If considerd suitbale to do so by Traning team.
2. Transfer to the Navy (if appropriate and you have the RT score for your chosen brnach)
3. Leave the service.

Key take away - Train as you are now to reach maximum levels on any known test, and research what you can about that RM. Do own personal admin (washing & ironing) and prep as much as you can achieve, the better prepared you are the slightly less daunting training is.

There may obviously be changes as this is a new concept, but as it stands this is the route you will follow with some administration thrown in from your AFCO. We may not be able to answer every question raised from this, but hopefully, it explains in some part what is happening.

Last edited:

stoic_phys

Reaction score
Has the process changed for officer selection?
Thankyou.

The guide

Reaction score
@stoic_phys , In regards POC & IOT (Initial Officer Training) no , nothing has been pushed out yet to say any changes, the only part will, of course, to go be Initial interviews may be via Skype - but not confirmed. Sorry, I can't help with this one as it is an unknown at present, but anybody applying now will be looking at next year's batch so some time to play with.

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Hey guide.

‘Just a couple of questions.

When you pass the virtual pjft is it just a case of waiting then until this covid blows over and wait for a ROP/PRMC to start?

Also is it mandatory to do a ROP or do you have the option of waiting/doing a PRMC instead? Only reason I’m asking is if your still currently working it’s easier to book 4 days off work rather than 4 weeks so was just curious on that approach as when RT starts again I expect there’s going to be a massive backlog of those who were in RT or about to start RT getting the first dates.

browner467

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hey guide.

‘Just a couple of questions.

When you pass the virtual pjft is it just a case of waiting then until this covid blows over and wait for a ROP/PRMC to start?

Also is it mandatory to do a ROP or do you have the option of waiting/doing a PRMC instead? Only reason I’m asking is if your still currently working it’s easier to book 4 days off work rather than 4 weeks so was just curious on that approach as when RT starts again I expect there’s going to be a massive backlog of those who were in RT or about to start RT getting the first dates.
I may be completely off the mark here but from how I’ve understood it, you’ll do 4 weeks and then roll straight into RT, so there won’t be a delay. In effect the 32 weeks training will become 36.

The guide

Reaction score
@Mattys , If you pass V-PJFT+ you will be placed into recruit training as spaces are available as per normal - The ROP in the new process so yes you have to do it.

In regards COVID , we have not and are not waiting for it to blow over - recruitment has not ceased in any way for the RN / RM. - so as @browner467 states you start and remain at CCTRM for 36 weeks instead of 32 the only difference is ROP is not the included in 32 basic training of which all pass criteria elements remain the same..a vital point for many.!!

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
@Mattys , If you pass V-PJFT+ you will be placed into recruit training as spaces are available as per normal - The ROP in the new process so yes you have to do it.

In regards COVID , we have not and are not waiting for it to blow over - recruitment has not ceased in any way for the RN / RM. - so as @browner467 states you start and remain at CCTRM for 36 weeks instead of 32 the only difference is ROP is not the included in 32 basic training of which all pass criteria elements remain the same..a vital point for many.!!
I see that’s good news then thanks for clearing that up!
Has the ROP taken over the `PRMC or is it just a temporary measure?

The guide

Reaction score
At present, the format is that it has taken it over, and given that it is a 4 week ROP this is likely to remain the case for the reasons explained in the OP.

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I see it’s a good structure and you getting paid for it is a good add!

Duality

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Will ROP be done by those who have passed PRMC?

The guide

Reaction score
Unclear at present I,m afraid, but there are not many in this area.! until fully developed some duplication will occur in the ROP and the first formal weeks of the 32-week recruit training, but this will be adjusted accordingly through time to prevent this and maintain the integrity of the 32 weeks.

My gut feeling and it is only that - yes they will do ROP for ease on intakes and admiistration.

ALDL9RM

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Is it presumed that the Commando Aptitude Assessment is going to include similar tests to at PRMC ie RMFA? As advised I'm going to continue cracking on training for the known tests like @The guide has said

Treeforce333

Reaction score
So is this likely to stay in place even after COVID-19??? Or is it purely to ensure recruitment doesn’t stop during these times??

The guide

Reaction score
Not 100 % confirmed but very likely ROP will stay, other elements to be confirmed in future depending on success. So unable to answer at present.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Again, an uninformed guess by me, but looking into my crystal ball, I suspect the ROP may be short-lived, in a similar manner to the aforementioned PRMDC, certainly after C-19 restrictions abate fully.

Firstly it's all about supply & demand, secondly about cost.

Post C-19, I envisage there will be an upsurge in people wishing to join the Armed Forces due to uncertainty in the private sector and an anticipated rise in unemployment (if the US is anything to go by).

The ROP will be costly but highly productive & successful, based on similar schemes. Similarly it'll probably be unpopular with those who were not given this golden ticket when they joined.

Once the spare capacity to accommodate & coach/train all future recruits for an extra 4 weeks is reached, it'll quite probably be dropped like a hot potato.

Advocado

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
So the ROP was a concept that was in the pipeline long before COVID-19 arose. It was originally intended to replace the foundation phase of training.

Essentially two seperate teams of highly experienced corporals, along with an experienced SNCO and a troop commander, known as the ROP teams, would take every troop from weeks 1-4, handing the troop over to their training team on week 4. As oppose to the troop DL doing pretty much all of the lessons in the first two weeks of training.

The idea of it being these same two ROP teams was to have a highee instructor:recruit ratio and maintain that consistency. They would essentially become experts at delivering that phase so that recruits are better equipped and more competent and the basics of self-administration for the remainder of training. Any recruit not meeting the criteria to progess to week 4 with their actual training can re-attempt the ROP or transfer to the Navy.

I fully suspect that COVID-19 is the only reason this period has been brought forward as a pre-requisite to the 32 weeks of training as oppose to a inclusive of it. Which in all fairness is a great piece of improvisation by the CTC headshed because it effectively achieves both the aims of the PRMC and the ROP safely. Recruits who are not up to the standard won't start training, and those who do start training effectively have a head-start which should improve pass out rates.

Who knows what will happen after COVID, hopefully this new scheme is a roaring success and it stays that way. I imagine it will if this also avoids the rare event of someone with sickle cell trait fully exerting and potentially dying.

The guide

Reaction score
@Sniper11! In regards RMR i,m afraid not - the First part (NSRT & Interviews) of your application will, of course, follow the same process, but the rest asin going to training nights & detachments is very much down to COVID restrictions.