Current New Joining Process - V-PJFT & ROP

The guide

Ex RAF, Ex Royal Marines, now RN.! go figure
Reaction score
@Ninja_Stoker , has probably hit the most valid point on the head in regards ROP, numbers of recruits in terms of cost to the new- versus -old format will certainly be a major consideration and at the end of the day the one that may carry the most weight if it continues in the long term.

Figgers

Reaction score
@The guide If you have passed a normal PJFT (and still in date) before all this happened do you have to complete the VPJFT?

The guide

Reaction score
If in date no - it remains valid.

jaketyghoust

Reaction score
If in date no - it remains valid.
Hello, Just to clarify something. I passed my PJFT back in November and I believe that they're valid for 12 months. If this is the case does it mean that I would not need to do the VJFT+ and would be loaded onto the ROP?
Thanks.

The guide

Reaction score
If you are in date - you should !! be loaded on to ROP / training.

But please be aware that this things in regard to the recruitment process are changing very quickly and every individual may not end up being quite the same ! in this transition period.

jaketyghoust

Reaction score

But please be aware that this things in regard to the recruitment process are changing very quickly and every individual may not end up being quite the same ! in this transition period.
Thanks for the quick reply. I'll give my careers advisor a call to find out what's happening.

Figgers

Reaction score

Just to advise I have spoken to my careers adviser and he’s advised I have to do the virtual version.

The guide

Reaction score
Just look at it this way, you will be in a select few.!!:D that does 2 Pre-joining fitness tests - just insure you prep well for the V-PJFT as some think it reads as being easy and while not PRMC some are failing-banghead- , so prep well and smash it.!

Lockerz2112

Reaction score
Just to add my 2 pence.
I had already done my PJFT and had a PRMC date (cancelled) when I did my VPJFT.

And for anyone this is relevant to, as @The guide has said, make sure you prepare properly for it. It's not impossible by any stretch, but if you go into it thinking "oh it's just a few sets of press ups and that" you will likely fail

johno4

Reaction score
Hi @The guide

Would you mind expanding a bit on the V-PJFT ?

Is it a 1 on 1 Webcam session with a PTI

(Is it just press ups and sit ups or Would it still consist of Pull Ups and Shuttle Run\Bleep Test) Just wondering as I imagine those 2 might be difficult to do via webcam\video feed.

Lockerz2112

Reaction score
Hi @The guide

Would you mind expanding a bit on the V-PJFT ?

Is it a 1 on 1 Webcam session with a PTI

(Is it just press ups and sit ups or Would it still consist of Pull Ups and Shuttle Run\Bleep Test) Just wondering as I imagine those 2 might be difficult to do via webcam\video feed.
Mine was a 1on1 zoom call with a member of the PRMC team. You have a quick conversation about swimming ability, the process, and to make sure you understand what's required of you. You will also do some rest reps of each exercise to ensure your form is spot on.

You then go through a warm up, after which you will play the test audio and complete the test.

The test consists of
20 burpees (each composite movement being done on command)
30 sit ups to the beep
20 press ups to the beep
1 minute plank

This is done 3 times in a row, with no rest periods. There are a couple of seconds where you aren't actively doing reps e.g. with the sit ups, where the audio will instruct you to get in the position, stand by etc. But otherwise it is one continuous circuit.

Lockerz2112

Reaction score
So no Treadmill run? Guess I can ditch that then
Not on this particular test. But I definitely wouldn't sack off running by any stretch. You do need at least some decent aerobic capacity for the test - although admittedly not as much as a running test.

Also on a sidenote, although treadmills can be absolutely horrendous for some, I've found them extremely useful for high intensity stuff e.g. tabata

geraltofrivea

Reaction score
Not on this particular test. But I definitely wouldn't sack off running by any stretch. You do need at least some decent aerobic capacity for the test - although admittedly not as much as a running test.

Also on a sidenote, although treadmills can be absolutely horrendous for some, I've found them extremely useful for high intensity stuff e.g. tabata
Gotcha. Yeah I just hate treadmills, much prefer running outside.

Also quick question, how long after saying you were ready to undertake the vPJFT did you receive a date and time?

The guide

Reaction score
V-PJFT - As above.

I would seriously keep training for all elements of PRMC , as

1. Nobody knows how long this process will be in place.
2. You need to maintain all-round performance in all areas - All phys regimes should be robust and well rounded.

Lockerz2112

Reaction score
Gotcha. Yeah I just hate treadmills, much prefer running outside.

Also quick question, how long after saying you were ready to undertake the vPJFT did you receive a date and time?
I got my date and time 2 days after the call asking if I'd like to take part in the trial. The date was originally 5 days from that, but they pushed it back by a day.

Reaction score
Spoken to my CA about this today after getting an email outlining the process. One thing he made really clear was only to book on if you're able to complete the whole circuit, not to show up if you reckon you can do it and give a best effort. I've been told to practice the whole thing at home, start to finish, and be able to complete it comfortably before telling them I'm ready for the assessment.

Armyboy19

Reaction score
What is the physical commando aptitude assessment that has to be completed at the end of ROP? Got my vPJFT coming up having already done my PJFT so from what I understand it is a PRMC replacement.

The guide

Reaction score
It has not been confirmed what the test include at this point.