Current New Joining Process - V-PJFT & ROP

AVS

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for this post, really useful info i didnt know about, just submitted my application to rejoin, yay 36 weeks at ctc *text deleted*

aliens-do-exist

Reaction score
@The guide maybe individual cases or just that as new all AFCOs not on same page as my son passed PFJT, marginally failed PRMC and was invited back within a month (then lockdown happened) but has to do vPJFT this week.

If you are in date - you should !! be loaded on to ROP / training.

But please be aware that this things in regard to the recruitment process are changing very quickly and every individual may not end up being quite the same ! in this transition period.

The guide

Careers Advisor
Reaction score
@aliens-do-exist , Unfortunately, there was a lag on the information in regards what about applicants in the PRMC process (passed or failed) this guidance is now out and all should follow the same process regardless of AFCO /location.

Legacy candidates will follow the below.

PRMC Failures. Candidates having previously failed PRMC are to be loaded to vPJFT+, if successful, they are to be allocated to the ROP.
PJFT Pass. Those who previously passed PJFT with Nuffield will still be required to conduct a vPJFT+ assessment.
PJFT Fail. Those who previously failed PJFT with Nuffield will be required to conduct the vPJFT+

Reaction score
Hello, is there any truth to the rumours that even those who have passed PRMC and are waiting to go to RT will be put on ROP as well? Or will it be start at foundation for them? Thanks

Chelonian

Reaction score
Hello, is there any truth to the rumours that even those who have passed PRMC and are waiting to go to RT will be put on ROP as well?
My understanding is that some PRMC passes will start with ROP candidates on 18 May.
The reasoning is as likely to be about making up numbers for a viable Recruit Troop as for anything else.

Duality

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Hello, is there any truth to the rumours that even those who have passed PRMC and are waiting to go to RT will be put on ROP as well? Or will it be start at foundation for them? Thanks
My son and some of the guys that were on his prmc and passed were supposed to start on the 4th but were put back to start on the 18th. Not sure of why but as @Chelonian and others have said, it may be to ensure a full troop. It may also give the administration and training teams a comparison between how those who have been through the previous recruitment path and those who have been through the latest one cope with the training process.

Chelonian

Reaction score
@Caversham and I were chatting about this topic yesterday. It's worth remembering that before PRMC (under another name) was introduced in the mid-1980s generations of Royal Marines rocked up at Deal and then CTCRM on the basis of interviews, medical examination and a chest X-ray. I understand that about 50% of new joiners successfully completed RT. Fast forward to 2020 and despite all the metrics, selection, etc., the conversion rate remains at about 50%.

Same for Parachute Regiment. Until the early 1960s only Trained Ranks could volunteer for Parachute Regiment. Conversion rate? 50%.

In the 1970s Parachute Regiment direct civilian entrants did not attend a PRAC. If one asked the Careers Adviser what phys preparation was appropriate for RT the answer was "Don't worry about that. It's our job to get you fit." Conversion rate in the 1970s? 50%.

In 2020 Parachute Regiment candidates attend a PRAC over several days to assess suitability. Conversion rate? It remains at about 50%.

Playing devil's advocate here but the pressing question is perhaps 'What's the point of PRMC and PRAC?'

If 50% of PRMC passes and ROP entrants successfully complete RT the question will perhaps become more pressing.

The guide

Careers Advisor
Reaction score
@BeneficialWalk , Yes applicants guys that have passed PRMC are indeed being asked to complete ROP phase, (so not a rumor but fact) as this includes a gradual increase in phys to 100 maximal output, covering HM forces for other issues aside from COVID (mentioned in the original post), it also reduces the shock of capture element which once again may reduce guys leaving in the first few weeks of training. To be honest I see no real downside of the ROP to the individual except you spend an extra 4 weeks CTC (paid, and in-service)

Reaction score
Interesting! I was wondering because there was no news from the AFCO on if the intake on the 18th of May would be ROP or RT.

it does make sense to me though, one of the appeals of the RM to me was the train up not select out system, so if ROP gives a better base to build on and therefore increase the chances of quality candidates being awarded Green Berets then I hope it works! Thanks

JoeJitsu94

Reaction score
Struggling with the VPJFT. Originally planned with afco for a PRMC around late June/early July. Worked hard all year to get my stats and running up.

These burpees and plank have totally thrown me and can’t complete all the way through. Can anyone offer good circuit tips or is it just the case of getting at it daily and patiently wait??

jaketyghoust

Reaction score
Struggling with the VPJFT. Originally planned with afco for a PRMC around late June/early July. Worked hard all year to get my stats and running up.

These burpees and plank have totally thrown me and can’t complete all the way through. Can anyone offer good circuit tips or is it just the case of getting at it daily and patiently wait??
Im in the same boat always seem to get stuck with the plank. what I'm doing is the VJFT circuit at the start of my session as best as I can and at the end of my session i do 3 sets of plank for as long as I can hold it. Think its just going to be a case of keep practicing it.

Griff149

Reaction score
Im in the same boat always seem to get stuck with the plank. what I'm doing is the VJFT circuit at the start of my session as best as I can and at the end of my session i do 3 sets of plank for as long as I can hold it. Think its just going to be a case of keep practicing it.
Yeah I’ve never really practiced planks either. That is 100% the hardest bit, my shoulders were on fire, especially going into them straight after those press ups. I was going to do mine next week but am going to delay for a couple weeks and throw them into some circuits to improve as I don’t want to do it and go by the skin off my teeth.

I suspect a lot of lads will underestimate this one and try it without practice and fail. It’s not impossible and certainly no PRMC by any means but it’s also not easy!

THOR

Reaction score
@JoeJitsu94 One of the PTI's gave me the best advice that stuck with; fitness is simple, want to get better at pushups?.... Do more pushups. Better at running? Do more running.

Burpees suck full stop, but keep knocking them out and just focus on making them fluid. More smooth they are the easier (less shocking) they become.

Advocado

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Come on lads the plank shouldn't be catching you out! It's only holding a minor stress position just adopt the position then take your mind elsewhere.

If you're struggling with core strength, get on the app store and download the adrian james fitness app. Costs about £2 but it has a bombers core workout on there. Crack the 15 minute elite workout every day you'll soon have bombers core strength.

Griff149

Reaction score
Come on lads the plank shouldn't be catching you out! It's only holding a minor stress position just adopt the position then take your mind elsewhere.

If you're struggling with core strength, get on the app store and download the adrian james fitness app. Costs about £2 but it has a bombers core workout on there. Crack the 15 minute elite workout every day you'll soon have bombers core strength.
Fair one - I struggled a bit with the shoulder endurance as you go straight from holding the press ups into a plank. But I think a few practice attempts and it should get a lot easier.

Harry McRunFast

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Hi chaps,

With this new ROP, could someone please confirm as to whether or not the RMFA, BFT, swim test etc will still be the standard method of fitness assessment upon arrival at CTC?

Thanks!

thirdtry

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Plank really should be part of anyone's phys program so it's a bit mental seeing how many people it's catching out.
It's one of the best all-round core exercises and is one of the go-to options that Corporals use (along with feet 6" off the floor) whenever they need to dish out a bit of a physical punishment.

Johnwayne

Reaction score
@Harry McRunFast I by no means have any information on this, so I am purely speculating. I would assume they would keep the standards for entry in place, if not make it somewhat more challenging as recruits will have an extra 4 weeks at CTC with a training team.
I’m sure the CAA will include the BFT and RMFA.