Current New Joining Process - V-PJFT & ROP

Was You

Reaction score
I warmed up before the call, and the PTI asked if I already did so. Just makes it far smoother in my opinion and can also help get rid of your nerves by shaking it off.

Best of luck!

A350-800

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I warmed up before the call, and the PTI asked if I already did so. Just makes it far smoother in my opinion and can also help get rid of your nerves by shaking it off.

Best of luck!
Thanks very much for your advice mate

A350-800

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Really pleased to say I managed to pass my vPJFT yesterday which was good, I am really grateful for all the help I received from everyone on the forum in setting everything up, i will try and do a little write up of it tomorrow about the various issues I encountered because i found some of the other write ups on here really helpful when I was preparing

browner467

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Really pleased to say I managed to pass my vPJFT yesterday which was good, I am really grateful for all the help I received from everyone on the forum in setting everything up, i will try and do a little write up of it tomorrow about the various issues I encountered because i found some of the other write ups on here really helpful when I was preparing
Good effort mate, any idea of a start date?

A350-800

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Good effort mate, any idea of a start date?
Thankyou very much mate, I don't know yet as it takes a few days for my AFCO to get all the paperwork and I still have a face to face medical to do but the corporal on the video informed me that they usually aim for 12 weeks from completing the vPJFT to starting ROP, depending on the outcome of the face to face medical.

PopStop

Reaction score
Hey guys i got a question, everyone i know have passed the vPJFT+, I have aswell, then they all received ROP dates within the following week. But now my replacement AFCO for the week says i need to do my medical which is on the 2nd of Sep before even thinking of a date... Has this happend to anyone else or is it just me. thanks

thirdtry

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hey guys i got a question, everyone i know have passed the vPJFT+, I have aswell, then they all received ROP dates within the following week. But now my replacement AFCO for the week says i need to do my medical which is on the 2nd of Sep before even thinking of a date... Has this happend to anyone else or is it just me. thanks
ROP date is subject to passing medical. Maybe different afcos are doing it differently as I received my date first but then that was subject to medical. I think anyone with a start date is getting priority though as mine was booked within a few days while some people seem to be getting really long waits.

craner

Reaction score
I passed my vPJFT 2 weeks ago today, I have still not received a ROP or f2f medical date, quite frustrating as was hoping to be not too far away from ROP! Haven’t had any correspondence from AFCO regarding dates either. Don’t want to keep hassling my AFCO though as it has only been 2 weeks.

PopStop

Reaction score
AFCO told me he was unsure with the communication with my AFCO and booked a date for NOV 9th, wish me luck !

A350-800

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I have received a date this week for the 9th of November, subject to the face to face medical. Its good to have this date as its close enough for me to get excited but at the same time it gives me some time to eventually hand in notice at work if medical is successful and to do more ironing and map reading :)

A350-800

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I got a date through for my medical today which is for the 21st of October, its good I have this date before my training is due to start.
I am not sure how to plan my notice period for my current job as I wont know the outcome of my medical until just over 2 weeks before I am due to start training, but I have to give my work a minimum of a months notice.
Capita have seen evidence from my GP and took me off TMU in June so I passed the triage, hopefully they wont want anymore information on the issues they asked for information on back in the spring and the face to face will go smoothly but there may be other issues they flag up so I will probably wait to hand in my notice at work until I know the outcome, I get white coat hypertension during medical exams so if this happens they will want me to do a 24hour blood pressure test but I will cross that bridge when it comes :)

Gstars

Reaction score
AFCO told me he was unsure with the communication with my AFCO and booked a date for NOV 9th, wish me luck !
Good luck mate!
I’ve got my vPJFT tomorrow and just waiting on my f2f medical.
Feels like it’s been such a long process and not even in yet!

Rob20

Royal Marines Commando Moderator
Reaction score
Thought I'd give the VPJFT+ a crack today to see what its all about. I have to say I'm no phys ninja and I've probably done more gins than press ups on my summer leave, but despite this I thought it was pretty easy to be honest.

I dont buy into the whole "back in my day" etc etc but I'm certain that the old PJFT and PRMC was certainly a tougher entry route to Week 1 Day 1 than the new system. However, being given 4 weeks military instruction and being "eased" into life at CTC is certainly a benefit and I think should result in a better nod at that stage of training.

However, it seems there are alot of lads falling by the wayside in ROP and I do think that is a result of a slightly easier joining process. This is no fault of any applicant whatsoever, you can only pass the tests put infront of you although my advice, having given the VPJFT a go and knowing what training is like, would be:

• Ensure that when you test yourself you test in excess of the VPJFT. Aim to do the test with 4-5 sets comfortably.
  • Use a mixture of sessions with and without the bleeps. Also when doing them individually, train to the old PRMC standards. Aim for 45+ press ups and 60+ sit ups as a bare minimum.
  • Do not neglect pull ups. They are a big part of early training.
  • Smash legs. Weighted, bodyweight, in combination with hill sprints etc.
  • Running wise, keep practicing your 3 milers, 6-8 mile steady runs and hill sprints. A sub 9 1.5 miler is a good place to be.
These are all the points I thought when thinking back to old school PRMC, where your legs get an absolute beating and you will do alot of running, sprinting, crawling and carries. Aim to be as well rounded physically as possible before entering ROP. It certainly is not a free ride into training as so far it seems roughly half of lads are falling short. Respect the job you're aspiring to enough to turn up as best prepared as you can lads.

Keep working hard and im sure you'll all do well guys!