Current promotion average timeline?

culle444

Reaction score
What is the current up to date (if we’re talking absolutely best case as I understand it would be different for everyone) average amount of years for you to reach/be promoted to corporal,sgt etc.
TIA

stumpylegs

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
8-12 Year for corporal I’m assuming, but there’s probably someone better qualified who can answer, however I’d say If you’re just focused on gaining rank fast join a different service.

SCOTTY6

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
It depends on a number of things. Mostly your spec. If you’re in a spec that nobody wants to be in such as clerks or drives, you will promote quicker due to blokes leaving the branch. More popular specs can be much much slower.

G_commando

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
At the moment it's about 4/6 years to corporal. As above said it depends what branch your in. Dives once your corporal you can promote fairly quickly to sergent.

SCOTTY6

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Depends where you are and what your priorities are. Also it may be worth noting Lance jack isn’t a permanent rank, it’s a local rank, so if you pick up Lance at your first unit, then pick up an SQ/second draft at a different unit you will revert to the rank of marine.

OddPikeFromCrimsonCity.

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Depends where you are and what your priorities are. Also it may be worth noting Lance jack isn’t a permanent rank, it’s a local rank, so if you pick up Lance at your first unit, then pick up an SQ/second draft at a different unit you will revert to the rank of marine.
Do you get payed more for being a Lance though?

G_commando

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
It depends what pay scale you are already on. Your pay level goes up each year so once you pass out of training you go on to level one. If you get made up to l/cpl you will go up to level 5 which is about 24/25k a year.

SnailDes

Reaction score
Also it may be worth noting Lance jack isn’t a permanent rank, it’s a local rank
Do you think you could explain this a bit more for me? I assumed right after BT that you would get promoted to Lance Corporal, doesn't seem like that is the case?

Much appreciated

Rob20

Royal Marines Commando Moderator
Reaction score
Do you think you could explain this a bit more for me? I assumed right after BT that you would get promoted to Lance Corporal, doesn't seem like that is the case?

Much appreciated

I assume by BT you mean basic training, note that we call it Recruit Training, funny old thing, its not that basic.

You certainly do not get promoted to L/Cpl after passing out, why would you? What experience have you got to lead men into a scrap.

And to your question, local rank means you'll be promoted within your troop. So for an average General Duties troop you'll need 3-4 L/Cpls lets say. Senior/capable lads will take on the roll, but when they get re drafted or take on a spec they lose that rank more often than not.
Some specs will require you to be a L/Cpl regardless of draft. Other specs are abit more stable and dont have the constant in/out of lads like a grav troop has, so once promoted to L/Cpl you'll probably keep the rank until you pick up a Juniors.

Chelonian

Reaction score
I assumed right after BT that you would get promoted to Lance Corporal, doesn't seem like that is the case?
I wasn't a Royal Marine but back in the day Lance Corporal was more of an appointment than a rank. Which is why the stripe doesn't follow you around.

It can be a good stepping stone for a youngster who is a good egg. More responsibility and essentially you're still one one of the blokes.

TheRents

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
@SnailDes

This is why Army basic training (CMS) is only 14 weeks long. It covers the basics of military training Phase 1. On completion you then move onto Phase 2 training which is specific to the branch you are joining.

Recruit Training (RT) covers both Phase 1 and Phase 2, a minimum of 36 weeks! When you pass out you will be a fully functioning Royal Marine Commando, capable of immediate deployment.

OddPikeFromCrimsonCity.

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I wasn't a Royal Marine but back in the day Lance Corporal was more of an appointment than a rank. Which is why the stripe doesn't follow you around.

It can be a good stepping stone for a youngster who is a good egg. More responsibility and essentially you're still one one of the blokes.
Even though its not a big rank, im sure the lads enjoy the extra pay!

SnailDes

Reaction score
I assume by BT you mean basic training, note that we call it Recruit Training, funny old thing, its not that basic.

You certainly do not get promoted to L/Cpl after passing out, why would you? What experience have you got to lead men into a scrap.

And to your question, local rank means you'll be promoted within your troop. So for an average General Duties troop you'll need 3-4 L/Cpls lets say. Senior/capable lads will take on the roll, but when they get re drafted or take on a spec they lose that rank more often than not.
Some specs will require you to be a L/Cpl regardless of draft. Other specs are abit more stable and dont have the constant in/out of lads like a grav troop has, so once promoted to L/Cpl you'll probably keep the rank until you pick up a Juniors.
Noted, noted and noted. Makes a lot more sense, thank you

Lance Corporal was more of an appointment than a rank
It can be a good stepping stone for a youngster who is a good egg
They are good ways of thinking about it, thank you

New Threads