Current ROP recruit

Inked rose

Reaction score
Hi Guys, just a quick post in regards to the current ROP. I’m towards the end of the first week and have some advice for people coming down soon.
Im currently on the ward due to sustaining an ankle infection. This was sustained from a simple blister. The blister became infected in the showers then swelled up. As a result I could be back trooped to the troop after Easter.
Make sure lads you bring down blister plasters and look after any cuts well. Another lad on the ward has a leg infection from a simple cut that got infected on exercise due to mud.It’s a common thing for lads to get infections down here.

Another thing I advise is bring down foam rollers, medical tape, and defo an ironing board. I got to ROP and had to wait around 3 days before the sergeant bought a load from BNM but some lads didn’t get one. For the first days we had to iron all bed sheets and had to share boards which delayed us. Things like foam rollers are crucial as on some days it’s PT after PT so helps at Night to remove as much lactic acid as you can and stretch.
Any questions lads got about prep I’m here to help.Good luck to all lads on the application and waiting stages.

MotherBear

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
When my nod went down for ROP they had to bin all plasters and bandages they brought etc
Hope you recover soon

Biggles

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Guys, just a quick post in regards to the current ROP. I’m towards the end of the first week and have some advice for people coming down soon.
Im currently on the ward due to sustaining an ankle infection. This was sustained from a simple blister. The blister became infected in the showers then swelled up. As a result I could be back trooped to the troop after Easter.
Make sure lads you bring down blister plasters and look after any cuts well. Another lad on the ward has a leg infection from a simple cut that got infected on exercise due to mud.It’s a common thing for lads to get infections down here.

Another thing I advise is bring down foam rollers, medical tape, and defo an ironing board. I got to ROP and had to wait around 3 days before the sergeant bought a load from BNM but some lads didn’t get one. For the first days we had to iron all bed sheets and had to share boards which delayed us. Things like foam rollers are crucial as on some days it’s PT after PT so helps at Night to remove as much lactic acid as you can and stretch.
Any questions lads got about prep I’m here to help.Good luck to all lads on the application and waiting stages.
Hi mate sorry to hear about your injury hope it recovers well soon.

Got my ROP in a couple months time.

Re the RMFA aka tests and scores, could you clarify the 'pass marks' for each criteria ie sit ups, pull ups, press-ups. Also am I right in saying that some of the tests are 'criteria' meaning instant fail if the standard is not met ie pull-ups.

Re sit ups what's the minimum accepted / full marks is it still 85? Cheers!

Inked rose

Reaction score
It’s 11.5 on the bleep, 40 press ups, 50 sit ups and 5 pull ups mate. During the ROP they are the standards required to then pass onto recruit training. You will also have a field exercise and the determination test which is basically one after the other, so never give up or you will fail. Just train sensible prior to coming down and you’ve got nothing to worry about mate.

Biggles

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Fantastic thanks bud, and in terms of order/days you did the tests on was it all same day ie gym tests AM then determination PM? Swimming where did that fit in?

Cheers mate.

Winston 2020

Reaction score
It’s 11.5 on the bleep, 40 press ups, 50 sit ups and 5 pull ups mate. During the ROP they are the standards required to then pass onto recruit training. You will also have a field exercise and the determination test which is basically one after the other, so never give up or you will fail. Just train sensible prior to coming down and you’ve got nothing to worry about mate.
What did the determination test consist of mate?

Inked rose

Reaction score
I can’t give you the straight facts on that mate as I’ve not done it yet however the swim test was on day 2 around 4 in the afternoon, towards the end of the ROP I’ve heard they have a couple days in the field then straight onto the determination test. All the CAA and the field and determination test is on the last week. The ROP acts as a training programme to make sure you are ready to start recruit training on week 1

Oldtimer

Reaction score
You'll go on First Step from Monday through to Wednesday out in the field which will include lectures that cover hygiene, cooking, setting up poncho and harbour drills with sentry.

You'll March out and back to the location and will conduct web and dry routine possible numerous times, it will also include an introduction to 'The Flank' which you'll receive some corrective physical training.

Once back at CTCRM you'll do a confidence test on the ropes and warm up session.

After all this you'll de service your kit ready for an inspection the following days and attempt the RMFA.

Biggles

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for this, what's The Flank and Harbour Drills ?

Oldtimer

Reaction score
Thanks for this, what's The Flank and Harbour Drills ?
The Flank is where you go when you have Drill or Field Ex where you'll either be picked up for something during an inspection or field muster. You'll be given corrective physical exercise to make sure you hopefully correct any mistakes in the future.

Harbour is where you'll setup for the night when on an exercises and it will be in a specific layout so it's more easier to defend from an attack, you'll do wandering and static sentry while on First Step.

G_commando

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Fantastic thanks bud, and in terms of order/days you did the tests on was it all same day ie gym tests AM then determination PM? Swimming where did that fit in?

Cheers mate.
If your worrying about specific dates and timings for tests then stop. You will be setting yourself up to fail. Rm pride themselves on being adaptable. Being as the rop is still relatively new things change. If you go down with the exact order in your mind and things change you are more likely to panic and fail. As long as you know you will be tested at some point and what the standard is just go with the flow.

OddPikeFromCrimsonCity.

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
It’s 11.5 on the bleep, 40 press ups, 50 sit ups and 5 pull ups mate. During the ROP they are the standards required to then pass onto recruit training. You will also have a field exercise and the determination test which is basically one after the other, so never give up or you will fail. Just train sensible prior to coming down and you’ve got nothing to worry about mat
personally I’m training for the prmc requirements, so when it comes to the test even when I’m nervous I know that I’ll be able to get a decent score enough to pass hopefuly

J9R4W

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
How much running are you doing the first few weeks and roughly what distances do you cover? Cheers.

Nature's Wish

Reaction score

Back trooped within the first week of ROP? Did not know that was a thing. Thought you only qualified for hunter company after sustaining injury beyond ROP.

Inked rose

Reaction score
Due to me sustaining an injury I will be moved to the next ROP after Easter to start the 4 weeks again.

Biggles

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
If your worrying about specific dates and timings for tests then stop. You will be setting yourself up to fail. Rm pride themselves on being adaptable. Being as the rop is still relatively new things change. If you go down with the exact order in your mind and things change you are more likely to panic and fail. As long as you know you will be tested at some point and what the standard is just go with the flow.
Disagree - Adaptability is key for RM I agree, however so is preparation.

It would be interesting to know the format that's all. I'm not worrying I just like to be prepared.

PS watched some of your videos on YT - Really useful content thanks mate.

Rob20

Royal Marines Commando Moderator
Reaction score
Disagree - Adaptability is key for RM I agree, however so is preparation.

It would be interesting to know the format that's all. I'm not worrying I just like to be prepared.

PS watched some of your videos on YT - Really useful content thanks mate.

So remember the job we train for. Will we know when the next enemy attack will come, you may be retasked immediately as you return from another task. Plenty of examples that show the real world flexibility you must possess.

You won't gain the robustness and hard flexibility by knowing when everything will be coming. You dont need to know that the RMFA is cominy Thursday at 1600 in order to prepare. Trust those who have been there and passed.

Nature's Wish

Reaction score
Due to me sustaining an injury I will be moved to the next ROP after Easter to start the 4 we

So remember the job we train for. Will we know when the next enemy attack will come, you may be retasked immediately as you return from another task. Plenty of examples that show the real world flexibility you must possess.

You won't gain the robustness and hard flexibility by knowing when everything will be coming. You dont need to know that the RMFA is cominy Thursday at 1600 in order to prepare. Trust those who have been there and passed.
You're both right