MillwallAlex

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Mon - interval training (0.4 miles/0.2)
Wed - BFT/PJFT mock (alternating weeks)
Thur - cycle either intervals 30sec on 30 sec off / 30-40 mins steady
Sat - endurance run/ interval training

The interval training is 0.4 miles at 9.5 mph and 0.2 at 5.5 mph

The endurance run is 4 miles at 8.7 mph or just under 7 mins a mile. I increase it gradually ie 0.5 mile per month

My question is is my cardio training diversified enough for the two cardio tests the BFT and the Bleep test of the PRMC?
Is there any other type of cardio training that you guys think would benefit me that I should include?
Is there anything I’m doing which you would recconmend taking out?

Note - I will practise the bleep test before the PRMC dw.

Fibonarchie

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
That looks good to me. From what people on here have said though, I might recommend having the endurance run a fair bit longer and increase the pace monthly? Obviously if you’re seeing results then go right on but bare in mind 4mi is only 33% longer than your BFT which your are running at a touch faster pace. Maybe go 6/7mi at 8:30/9 min miles?

Caversham

RM Commando, Crossed The Bar 13/12/2020
Reaction score
Your long run needs to be around 8 miles. 0.5 miles per month is not enough. It will take you 8 months to get to that distance at this rate! Try 0.5 miles per week instead. Once you get around 6 miles then just go for the extra. It doesn't matter about time. All you need to do initially is to get the miles in your legs and used to running for around an hour. Your times will come down as you get used to the distance.

Good luck

Alan

Hubb97

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe look at doing a parkrun on Saturday. I've done loads of them and it's great to test yourself against the clock and against other people now and again. They're 5k's at loads of places across the country with usually between 50-500 people doing them so certainly give that a look! As well as that 7 minute miles is quite a quick pace for a 'endurance run' so start off slower and you may find you'll get a lot further. Also make sure you do most of your running outside, maybe look at getting a garmin watch to time/pace yourself if you struggle. Good luck!

Cuzza22297

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe look at doing a parkrun on Saturday.

Second this, did my first yesterday and found running with other people really helped me push myself that bit further. Smashed my 5k PB by 2 mins!

Hubb97

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Second this, did my first yesterday and found running with other people really helped me push myself that bit further. Smashed my 5k PB by 2 mins!
Good effort mate what time/position? You don't get many fast ones turning up to mine as they're quite difficult courses so best time is 4th in 19:55! I'm on 45 now so not far away from my free t shirt:D

Cuzza22297

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Came 10th in 20:09, the winner smashed it in 17:04 :eek: hoping for sub 20 next week. By difficult you mean gradient change? 45s a decent effort, free T-shirt at 50?

Hubb97

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Came 10th in 20:09, the winner smashed it in 17:04 :eek: hoping for sub 20 next week. By difficult you mean gradient change? 45s decent effort, free T-shirt at 50?
That's a top effort then! Yeah there's 1 which is a 3 lap course with 250ft of elevation where I scraped a sub 20 (think it may be a little short though?) and another 2 lap course with 150ftish plus a set of steps where I'm usually just under 21 minutes. Yeah my first one was a fair few years ago and there's two which are 2-3mile jog away so done loads of them recently! Came second to a 55 year old women once last year on a proper icy day when only 60ish turned up, felt my manhood decrease slightly..

Cuzza22297

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
That's a top effort then! Yeah there's 1 which is a 3 lap course with 250ft of elevation where I scraped a sub 20 (think it may be a little short though?) and another 2 lap course with 150ftish plus a set of steps where I'm usually just under 21 minutes. Yeah my first one was a fair few years ago and there's two which are 2-3mile jog away so done loads of them recently! Came second to a 55 year old women once last year on a proper icy day when only 60ish turned up, felt my manhood decrease slightly..

hahaha. Fair play getting a sub 20 on a course like that then mate.

MillwallAlex

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Ok cheers lads so I reckon I’ll decrease the pace of my longer run and work towards getting it to 8 miles?

Cuzza22297

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah build up to 8 miles then once you're there get the time to just under an hour and keep it there

MillwallAlex

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
That looks good to me. From what people on here have said though, I might recommend having the endurance run a fair bit longer and increase the pace monthly? Obviously if you’re seeing results then go right on but bare in mind 4mi is only 33% longer than your BFT which your are running at a touch faster pace. Maybe go 6/7mi at 8:30/9 min miles?

Your long run needs to be around 8 miles. 0.5 miles per month is not enough. It will take you 8 months to get to that distance at this rate! Try 0.5 miles per week instead. Once you get around 6 miles then just go for the extra. It doesn't matter about time. All you need to do initially is to get the miles in your legs and used to running for around an hour. Your times will come down as you get used to the distance.

Good luck

Alan

So it is more important to get a longer run in even thought it may be a slower pace such as 8:30/9 mins a mile?

Caversham

RM Commando, Crossed The Bar 13/12/2020
Reaction score
Ok cheers lads so I reckon I’ll decrease the pace of my longer run and work towards getting it to 8 miles?
That's it. Your pace will increase the more miles you put in.

Alan