Cycling Instead Of Running

markymark

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm 16 at the moment, hoping to start training around July/August time depending on how Covid impacts everything.

I've just started the official 12-week PRE-PRMC program and I was wondering if it'll be a good idea to replace all running activities with cycling instead. I'm fully aware that cycling is easier than running so I was thinking if the program tells me to run 3 miles for example, maybe I could cycle for 7-8 miles instead, just to even things out, since cycling 3 miles is easier than running 3 miles, I was thinking the extra 4-5 miles will balance out the difficulty of it.

Also, the reason for me preferring cycling over running has nothing to do with laziness believe me, I don't mind running it's just that I prefer cycling in all honesty

Thoughts greatly appreciated thank you

Trooper149

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
For sake of specificity and preparing yourself for PRMC, definitely include running in your programme, even if its intervals over a 3 mile distance for 2 sessions. Also dont forget your bleep test. Reason for this is aside from getting used to running alot, the muscles you use for running will differ from cycling. By all means for extra volume and cradio training sure, use cycling but don't neglect the core training you need to do for PRMC.

Caversham

RM Commando, Crossed The Bar 13/12/2020
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with cycling, but PJFT, PRMC and RT is all about running, so you really need to concentrate on that.

However, introducing a cycling session into your training to save the knees is good, but you cannot swerve the need to pound out the miles with running.

Alan

Johnny_Anonie

Reaction score
Great question and a quality answers. How to stay fit and mentally prepared for future courses in the current climate is a very important point.

By all means add cycling, but do not use it to replace running. Cycling is not a military activity. Think of it as seasoning and not a meal...

Most important of all- Ensure that you adhere to the Commando Spirit throughout this period of uncertainty by showing determination, and understanding your responsibility to maintain the highest standards of personal discipline. Best of luck with the phys.

Chelonian

Reaction score
I'm fully aware that cycling is easier than running...

It's relative but not easier. Depends on terrain and distance. I've run about five miles each day for the past 45 years but my hardest CV hit has been cycling up hills.

Practically though, as referenced by @Royal2010 it is unlikely that you will be required to cycle anywhere during RT so running should be your primary focus. Cycling and swimming will add to the mix though.

Rob20

Royal Marines Commando Moderator
Reaction score
On a more serious answer and slightly less mordant...

It is always useful to mix in other kinds of CV training within your training. However, Ergo (indoor rowing), cycling, HIIT sessions, Kettlebelling, Zumba, Gypsie Taekwondo will have to supplement RUNNING. (especially after your legs are feeling rough after clocking up many miles during the week or, if you have picked up an injury due to the impact nature of running)
Turning up to RT with hoofing CV in Zumba, cycling and Chinese flower threading will not do you any good as you run up a hill for the millionth time because you forgot to clean your mess tin.

I hope this has added some benefit to my 1st reply.

NOTE - for every lad starting training soon you've just had a Gypsie's there. Clean your mess tins :D:D

SCOTTY6

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I like a clean mess tin, I'm probably fairly lenient with judging whether it is up to the correct standard.

What I am a stickler for, are clean weapon systems ;)

Is it true when you pass the JCC and get your second stripe, you’re issued with a double jointed pinky, known as the “corporals finger” possible of getting even the smallest molecule of carbon from within the breach of a weapon?

Corona

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
What are some good cycling targets to aim for? i.e distance and time wise?
Thanks

Illustrious

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
Ask yourself...

"Will I ever cycle into battle?"
"Will I ever conduct a section attack whilst on a bike?"

Then you will have the answer

Not with that attitude you won't!

Chelonian

Reaction score
What are some good cycling targets to aim for? i.e distance and time wise?

Others better qualified than I will hopefully chip in but these are some basics which work for me:

I'm fortunate to live in a very hilly location so my cycle training is mainly focused on climbing. Consequently my daily ride easily fits into one hour. I almost run out of gears on one particular long, steep gradient although I have not yet had to dismount and walk. The shame of doing so. :(

Cadence is important in cycling. For example, if on the flat maintaining 100 RPM at the pedals for one minute; then a thirty second coast; another minute at 100 RPM and repeat. This and variations offer a fair CV workout and can also be done on a static trainer at home.

If you want to measure performance Strava has a massive cycling community.

Hill climbs will help put strength and endurance into legs as will bodyweight squats but they should perhaps be regarded as an addition to a sound running schedule rather than a substitute.
The thread title 'Cycling Instead Of Running' rather suggests something else.

The guide

Careers Advisor
Reaction score
It,s all the rage and coming back to a battlefield near you.!!

The Swiss Army Bicycle Did All That, and More

The guide

Careers Advisor
Reaction score
Not got a parade pic , but this was my 9 miler coming in.!!

Illustrious

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
That must have been your RAF passout? No one's in step.

The guide

Careers Advisor
Reaction score
I think you will find I could keep step in the RAF though..!!..no prizes for spotting the shorty...always front and centre and loved by walking Instructors.!..and this is pass out,and a old phot hence the lack of any quality,!..(no need to blur faces at least.)

New Threads