Cycling

Tommy

Reaction score
Alright lads, hope all your training is going great.
I just wanted to put a post up about cycling. I went cycling the other day for the first time in ages(I went cycling because I've got shin splints and I need to give the running a rest for a bit). I wish I had done it months ago, I found it was great exercise and really beneficial, I really enjoyed it.
I would recommend going cycling even if your going running as well, just try mixing it up a bit.
Thanks for listening lads, Tommy.

Mackie

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Good to know it's as good a workout as running and hope your shin-splints get sorted out.

I'm planning on getting myself a decent bike at christmas which'll give me 2-3 months use before my PRMC (I hope) and now I'll definitely be getting one!

Jas

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I do a fair amount of cycling as its my main form of transport and I enjoy doing it. When I mentioned this in my interview at the AFCO he said I shouldn't do loads of cycling as it uses different muscle groups to running and won't benefit me other than the CV gains.

Does anyone know if it will hinder running abilities if you do a lot of cycling? I can't think why it should other than having big muscles in the wrong places but if you do plenty of running too there won't be a problem?

daz900daz

Reaction score
Yeah being a good cyclist doesn't mean you can run unfortunatly.

It is great for cv and even better for stamina building but i wouldn't overly use it, cycleing with a bad style can put an aweful lot of stress on the knees without you being aware of it until you start to run. It's generally to do with your form.

*text deleted* spints are pain, for want of a better word, it happens to more people than you think and can really start to bring you down. It's cause from taking on to much to fast really. You just need to give yourself time and allow your body to adjust, it's painful to carry on i know but don't give up running compleatly, try skipping and allot of stetching to help with getting rid.