Daily Intakes

Roy Brown

Reaction score
Ok I am 15 years old and this week have started my training to become a Royal Marine. I have heard all sorts of stuff about Protein Shakes and different supplements but i am not sure if my small 15 year old body could handle it! So at the moment i am just eating these small protein bars called Promax which contain around 22g of protein per bar. But i hear some guys say their daily protein intake is around 160-200g which in that case i'd have to eat 10 bars to get enough protein. So i was hoping you could give me some advice on whether to limit my protein intake because of my age and because my regime due to it being in the first week is nowhere near the intensity of your training. Cheers.

Leedham

Reaction score
alreet lad,
seein as though your only 15 you dont NEED to be takin in 160g of protein a day, although it wouldnt harm you in any way if you did. For your age with a good trainin schedule id say get about 70 - 90g n that would be more than enough. Also at 15 supplements arnt recommended, have to wait till your 16 for some reason, so ditch the high priced choclate bars and just get protein from foods.

start eatin Chick peas, tuna, chiken, nuts, eggs and milk and youll get enough protein from them.

sooty795

Reaction score
i was told if your trying to build to have 1gram of protien per pound of body weight as a rough guide, anything more and your just gone flush it down the toilet if you get my meaning.

sooty

cutler05

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Alright guys.
the average joe bloggs recommended daily intake of protein is a mere 50g. only bodybuilders and people in serious muscle growth training need at least 1g of protein per pound per day. it really does depend on *text deleted* current weight, training, and body type roy.... shed any light on them?!

Mat

Reaction score
at 15 I personally would ditch the bars, I aim to eat 3 times a day as normal but then add in 3 smaller 'snacks' which is usually just a bit of fruit, some nuts and a glass of milk, it all depends on how hungry I am and the level of activity ive done on the day as if ive run a lot or been to the gym ill maybe add in a sandwich or two instead of the snacks.
Just eat a well balanced diet and you will get all you need, supplements can help but you'd be better off with whole foods.

cutler05

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
To right. Supplements are just that... they supplement a balanced diet, and should not make up a big part of your diet. Stick to whole, natural foods and just lots of it!