Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Deadlift back pain?

Discussion in 'Common Training Injuries' started by RMR_NOD, Mar 29, 2020.

1. RMR_NOD

RMR_NOD Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Hi guys, I've been experiencing back pain/ache for the past week or so due to mainly DL. Any advice to help get rid?

Cheers.

2. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

I'm not qualified to give medical advice but I suggest ceasing doing dead lifts and resting until pain subsides. Hopefully others better qualified than I will chip in with their own comments.

Uncertain if one's capacity to dead lift is an essential element of PRMC.

• Like Like x 2
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  3. RMR_NOD

RMR_NOD Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Cheers, yes thats what I am currently doing and is sound advice, already done PRMC just looking to gain some strength etc.

4. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

Stop dead lifting and allow for some rest.

The majority of lower back injuries caused by the deadlift are the result of improper execution and form. Research how to conduct the exercise & ensure you are doing it properly.

One of the most important things you can do is to keep moving and continue with your normal activities as much as possible. It used to be thought that bed rest would help you recover from a bad back, but it's now known that people who remain active are likely to recover quicker. This may be difficult at first, but do not be discouraged – your pain should start to improve eventually. Consider taking painkillers if the pain is stopping you from carrying on as normal. If required try a heat pack & a course of ibuprofen.

• Like Like x 2
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  5. LilInac

LilInac Active Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Would rest it, then when you feel it’s healed go straight back but focus on lighter weight and good form, also next time you go back with the deadlifts record your lift if you can deadlift form is easy to mess up, record from a side angle ideally your back should be straight and power coming from heels. I’d then compare it to a good deadlift tutorial, done it with squats my self don’t have any deadlifts in my routine at the moment but will add later on! All the best

6. anon1234

anon1234 Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed AIB
    Few ideas:

Give it lots of rest between sessions of deadlifts (i.e minimum 4-5 days).
    Every so often give it full week off heavy lifting.
    Try other variations like trap bar deadlifts or rack pulls (conventional from the floor lifting is the most taxing variation).
    Rotate between variations so you're not doing the same type of lift every single week.
    Rotate between maximal lifting and submaximal (i.e leaving some reps or weight in reserve).

7. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

@RMR_NOD Once pain subsides consider incorporating some stretches to maintain lower back mobility.

As stated before, I'm not qualified to advise but from personal experience (six hours double-digging potato beds at age fifty-eight -banghead-) an acute episode of back pain is sometimes accompanied by a tightening of lower back muscles and surrounding tissue. Stretches which target glutes and lower back are often neglected but can help prevent recurring episodes.

8. Harleydavidson17

Harleydavidson17 Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Hi lots of advice above but definitely get someone to look at your form. Our x-marine CrossFit instructor is always rechecking form even with the people who have been doing them for years - poor form=pain

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
  9. sy_lume

sy_lume Royal Marines Commando

Learn how to do them properly, and 100% never deadlift without a belt

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1