Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Deal Bombing, 8.20am on Friday 22nd September 1989

Discussion in 'Royal Marines Band' started by Rover, Sep 22, 2015.

1. Rover

Rover Moderator

• Like Like x 8
  2. ste preece

ste preece Former RM

I can remember that very day. I was on guard duty at Stonehouse Barracks when the news came through. It was a very sad event.

SP

3. Rover

Rover Moderator

Not Forgotten.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

The band practice room where this atrocity took place used to be the new intake block where recruits spent the first two weeks of "foundation", before moving into the accommodation in the main building.

Recruits or Bandies, it was an appalling tragedy.

RIP.

Alan

• Like Like x 1
  5. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

RIP

• Like Like x 1
  6. Fibonarchie

Fibonarchie Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Lost but not forgotten. Never forget.

7. Rover

Rover Moderator

This weekend will be very difficult for those involved and those who remember,
    as Sunday marks the 30th anniversary of the Deal Bombing. A whole weekend of events will be taking place in Deal. Rugby match, Memorial concert on the seafront and of course the usual effort to drink the RMA dry.

Eleven died as a direct result of the bomb and two SNCO's took their own lives shortly afterwards. One of them lived in the MQ next to the block that was demolished. His wife and children were in it at the time.

Today also marks the anniversary of the death of Musn Baz Holland who was killed when the coach carrying Raleigh Band overturned just south of Bristol on the M5.

However, one very positive side effect of these two tragic events (IMHO)is that the Corps at large took back possession of their Bands. I had I never seen such big, tough, professional Booknecks show such feeling for the Band Service. Sadly, this is not the case today. Recruits see the band just once during training and most don't know about Deal - as in the Depot - let alone the band or anything else connected with it. We (yes, all of us), need to pass on our memories to those that follow in our footsteps, just as we were taught about the things that we were not involved in - Op Banner, Korea, Malta, Singapore, Aden WW2 and many, many more.

• Like Like x 7
  8. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

The practice room where the Band where the bomb went off was previously used as the New Intake Block, where recruits spent their first two weeks prior to moving over to the main accommodation block in the barracks.

There is a beautiful memorial on the site, but even more poignant is the Bandstand on Deal seafront with the names of those murdered inscribed.

Alan

• Like Like x 6
  9. ste preece

ste preece Former RM

I remember being in the Galley at Stone House Barracks when the news came through about the horrible bombing that happened to these guys in Deal. It was sickening.

The RM Band Service are a crucial part of the Royal Marines. Their music gives you your pride as a Royal Marine, and that means alot to everyone.

SP

• Like Like x 2