Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Dealing with being in hunter long term.

Discussion in 'Common Training Injuries' started by stumpylegs, Feb 19, 2020.

1. stumpylegs

stumpylegs Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Personally I’ve seen YO’s in rehab with us lads in Parker hall, they had to wait to rejoin a new batch. It’s a case by case basis depending on the injury.

• Like Like x 1
  2. stumpylegs

stumpylegs Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Know a few lads that had this approach, not sure if they’ll rejoin, they miss the lads. But that’s from spending a year in hunter with the lads.
    Ask him how the thought of redoing foundation and hunters moon makes him feel, Will most likely get his head back in the game because he’ll think f*text deleted** that. :D

Plus in a month he’ll get a green belt!!!:eek:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

Stick with it! I only spent a short time there, around 8 weeks, including Easter leave, so not too bad compared to others and I hated it. But it really is a question of how much to you want that beret? I worked hard, took the crap and re-joined a new troop and passed out.

All the while he's there he will be receiving the finest physio from experts at nil cost and he will be getting paid a full wage for the duration. It really is a no brainer!

Alan

• Like Like x 3
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  4. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Another factor to consider:
    I understand that a Recruit's 'employment rights' specific to medical issues increase after Week 15.

Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong on this or perhaps someone might make a more comprehensive comment on the matter.

• Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  5. Rob20

Rob20 Royal Marines Commando Moderator

Also, may I add. After 7 months in Hunter I returned to week 19 having already covered alot of the syllabus beyond that such as CQB, OBUA lectures etc. Not only did I come out as fit as I'd ever been, I came out with a much greater tactical knowledge, probably ahead of majority of those in my new troop.

Hunter is what you make of it. It made me a much better recruit.

• Like x 9
    • Gucci Info x 2
    • Gen Dit x 1
    • Seen x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Nailed It x 1
  6. Peebles9116

Peebles9116 Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Many thanks.

7. The guide

The guide Ex RAF, Ex Royal Marines, now RN.! go figure

Post week 15 ranks should go to NSMBOS ( not in all cases but most) this has a mandated 56 day notice period ,as it is the same process followed by trained ranks and therefore gives individuals time to sort things hence the perception it takes ages ( It actually does not if a straight through run) also if likely a Med discharge and for Recruits it is nearly 100 certain you are getting a wage for a longer period, the sole and only job of the medical board is to put you in the highest possible medical catogory while protecting you dependant on your condition, and not to discharge you!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Peebles9116

Peebles9116 Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Injury is fairly minor but reoccurring probably due to his age and build. He’s been a excellent throughout apart from these set backs mainly from yomping. Fearing potential medical board he is also looking at options within RN and come back when body matured a bit along with addition of weight. He is desperate to stay within service but as said fears the potential medical grounds.

9. Dutch88

Dutch88 Active Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    I was huntered at week 6, five years ago. I spent a few of months in there with a stress fracture.
    Im now waiting for a date for RC once again having passes the vpjft last week.
    I regret leaving massively and like most who leave came up with a variety of reasons as to why it wasn't for me at the time.
    Whenever I think about it now I'm angry with myself as I was so determined when I started.
    But at the end of the day I guess I wasn't ready for it.
    Recruit training is designed to test who's willing to go through whatever it takes.
    Foolishly I imagined last time that I'd sail through with no injuries.

I think I'm better mentally prepared this time as whilst it'd be nice to go through without injury, I'm fully prepared for that eventuality.
    If I end up in hunter I'm going to stick it out and keep a positive mental attitude.
    Because it can also be a benefit in many ways as hunter gives you a chance to square yourself away.

• Like Like x 4
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 1
  10. fine

fine Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    It is a huge shame about his injury because we as a troop could tell he is super squared away and wouldve done really well if the injury didnt come back. Luckily age is on his side and he has a good few options to think about.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  11. Peebles9116

Peebles9116 Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Thanks. He’s super committed and desperate to do it.

12. Peebles9116

Peebles9116 Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    He’s staying and over the moon. Will do Hunters Moon again but advises no issues with that and determined to succeed..He is super grateful for the support. A happy lad..

• Like Like x 6
  13. Peebles9116

Peebles9116 Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Injured again, passed everything baptist run but hurt knee and could not do CFT. Now having to go or potential medical board. Going to look at RN options as not wanting to remain on civvy street. Other interests in RN and look at these once back. He is gutted but maybe for the best meantime. Thanks for all the advice thus far.

14. Rover

Rover Moderator

This being a subject that repeatedly raise questions.

As such perhaps this will help both those in RT and their Parents/Partners understanding the reasons behind the Medical Staff and the Training Teams, when making such decisions for those undergoing training.

I wrote this awhile ago as a response in another thread.

As many Parents and Partners are naturally concerned when their son is injured or is back trooped for other reasons perhaps the following will help in understanding the subject from one having gone through that system.

The main reasons why a person gets back-trooped are injury, failing a crucial test or being assessed by the Training Team as requiring more time to get to a required standard.

Whatever the reason this can affect the Recruit in a number of ways. Also in these days of instant communication it also affects the Recruits family. Unfortunately the main response being one of failure!

The Recruit feeling he has let himself his family and his fellow recruits down. The family feeling perhaps that they have not been in a position to understand what their son has been going through or perhaps wondering if they could not have supported him more.

Well injuries happen! People have bad days and fail test. Not everyone can be the same standard at a particular moment. We all mature both physically and mentally at different stages of our life.

A Training Team will have taken a Recruits progress into account and can reach the conclusion that a particular Recruit may not at that particular moment be at his best to continue with what will be the hardest part of training, the Commando Phase.
    Therefore in the Recruits own interest it is seen best to back-troop him, so allowing him more time to achieve that standard that will see him be successful in earning his Green Beret.

After that numbness that comes with what is perhaps perceived as failure.
    It is the State of Mind that is the important factor.
    Nobody gets to any stage of training without having doubts about their ability at some time or other that is normal.

It is having that State of Mind that says whatever is thrown at you, you will show everyone that you can rise above it and succeed in achieving what you are aiming for.

You have not failed. You have been given that chance to emerge stronger than before. Take it and if need be by sheer bloody mindedness confirm people’s faith in you.

As some parents have mentioned on here before a case of supportive tough love!

A case of speaking from experience, ankle injury being my reason on being back trooped. So did not make being an ‘original’.

Son passed out as an ‘original’ yet it would seem all his troop were carrying some form of injury for the Commando Test. Seems the sick bay was doing well on painkillers.

I have known one person who went through the full SBS selection course only to be told he had failed. He was returned to his unit and a year later came back to do the whole course again, this time passing. Now that was indeed a State of Mind.

He that struggles with us strengthens our nerves, and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper. ~Edmund Burke, The Revolution in France, 1790

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 1
  15. The guide

The guide Ex RAF, Ex Royal Marines, now RN.! go figure

@Peebles9116 If he wants to go RN he seriously needs to have a good look and speak to people about moving across to their branch, even an acquaint - asking the Hunter CSM if he can go on one is also required.!! if he comes back with a letter saying they would love to take him it could help, as if he goes to Med board they are viewing him as a Marine and nothing else so any restrictions placed on him are as a marine, but if he has a solid offer and the restriction are not to limiting for his new role they may let him stay in on the premise he is going to his new role - if not in place - he,s out in 99% of cases!!

This is only a possible solution and does not always work - depending on what the issue is - unstable knee,s & ankles are not viewed that well for Navy carers either i,m afraid..but there certainly a chance.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Peebles9116

Peebles9116 Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Many thanks for the information.