Decision to make.

ZZ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
ok i have applied for the other ranks and have only gotten as far as the phsycometric test so i dont mind starting the process again or anything but my mind has recently been casting thoughts to becoming an officer and i feel that with a little bit more intense training i could pass POC and go on to become an officer. Im currently in my last few months of college and will have to equivilewnt to 3 A levels and i have 10 A-C GCSE's ish.

So am i eligable first off?

and second, could you guys have a look at my fintness stats below and tell me if you think i could pass a POC by the start of 2009?

also would i be too late for entry in 2009? (now i was thinking of joining the other ranks in september to october sometime if possible but i would gladly wait until 2009 to become an officer)

chelseafc

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
if i were u mate i would go in as an officer but u would have to wait over a year an it is a long time. if u can stay motivated for that long an still want to go in as an officer do it but it all depends what u r goin to do while u wait *text deleted* u obviously cant just train untill then. i have had to wait 6months untill i can continue applyin an it has been the most borin time of my life an if u do the same. somewhere down the line u may get to bord an just join as a regular an wish u haden't waited so long an regret u waited.

hope this helps an sorry if it dont make that much sense.

ZZ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
cheers dude, i know where your coming from with the whole brodom thing as im also a bit worried about getting bored with not being in the marines when i could be. I know for deffinate i will stay motivated though.

chelseafc

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
well if u will stay motivated, find somethin to do an goin as an officer would be my advice mate. quite a lot of people want to join as an officer but cant but u have the opportiunity to do it so if i were u i'd join as an officer

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
The question is: Have your A Level "equivalents" been verified via your ACLO as acceptable? (Not your college).

All BTEC Certificated awards currently have to be faxed to the Admiralty Interview Board (AIB) in HMS Sultan for verification of the academic modules which make up the non-overlapping subjects toward the all-up total. Whilst you may calculate you have 300 UCAS points, the academic content must be equivalent to A Level standard. Similarly amongst your 5 GCSE's A*-C, you must have Maths & English at those grades.

Hopefully this has already been done & your academic eligibility has been confirmed.

If in doubt, contact your AFCO so as copies of your certificates can be taken for verification by AIB.

Best of luck

ZZ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
i dont think its a BTEC im doing, its a OCR National Deploma, does that make a difference?

sorry if its sounds like a stupid question but what does ACLO stand for?

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
If it's a Public Service or Uniformed Service Course National Diploma it needs to be verified by AIB. A lot of colleges often proclaim courses are worth "X" amount of GCSE's or A Levels to get "bums on seats" and the unfortunate students often get sold short. Hopefully that isn't the case for you, but "caution" is the byword.

Glossary of terms:

Area Careers Liaison Officer (ACLO) is the Commissioned Officer that processes an Officer application.

Officer Careers Liaison Centre (OCLC) are the centres from which ACLOs operate from covering the whole of UK Armed Forces Careers Offices (AFCO's). There are OCLC's based in Rosyth, Manchester/Newcastle, Belfast, London, Peterborough, Plymouth and Birmingham

Armed Forces Careers Offices (AFCO's) are run by Careers Advisers (CA's) who are the Senior Non-Commisioned Officers (SNCOs) that process Other Rank applications & there are 53 RN/RM AFCO's across the country. Potential Officers make their initial enquiry at the nearest AFCO and the ACLO will process them at their preferred AFCO.

ZZ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
i just gave my AFCO a call and said the usual hello my
name is tristan, soon to be interupted by them saying "well done tristan", dont know if they are taking the *text deleted* but i find it fairly funny how quickly they get answer back to things *text deleted*..

anyway gave them a call and the guy said that there is a high chance it wont count, which is what i thought and which makes me regret taking up this college course even more, but he will look into it for me and see what he can do about getting me onto becoming an officer