Decision

chrystal19

Reaction score
Can someone please explain to me the kind of travel a royal marine can enjoy? Apart from operational deployments, do they travel on board ships, or do they get permanent postings on land?

Also, what is the social life like?

And I don't want to offend anyone either, but do people who join the marines have to have a general standard of intellect. I really want to join, but I would consider officer level if absolute scum of the earths could join and I would be living amongst them? I am determined to not let this affect my current motivation though.

Paul-M

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Nah I think most Marines are pretty smart, it's more the army that has tards in it.

No offense to the army because I respect them loads, it's just easier to get in to therefore will have certain people of a lower standard.

chrystal19

Reaction score
Thats good, something I was quite worried about actually. Do you know about deployments?

Knockton

Reaction score
nah marines are more about people who want to join just join because they like the lifestyle on offer, there are people with degrees on here who are joining as a commando not an officer
i mean even i got an A*, 5A's, 4B's and a couple of C's at GCSE the marines arent a last resort if your an idiot who cant get a job anywhere else, u've at least got to have a LOT of common sense.
same with all forces really

Reaction score
Nah I think most Marines are pretty smart, it's more the army that has tards in it.

No offense to the army because I respect them loads, it's just easier to get in to therefore will have certain people of a lower standard.

Mate wind you neck in just a little bit, enough with the slagging off the army it's boring. The Marines will have stupid people and intelligent people in it same as everywhere else.

Chris

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
And I don't want to offend anyone either, but do people who join the marines have to have a general standard of intellect. I really want to join, but I would consider officer level if absolute scum of the earths could join and I would be living amongst them? I am determined to not let this affect my current motivation though.

In the Armed forces there are people from all walks of life and each has a different attitude towards things. Just by reading on this forum you can pick up that some prefer intellectual chat whilst other prefer mindless banter which depending on how you handle people will be easy or tough. What do you mean by scum of the earth though? what constitutes scum?

gedro

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
You get clever electricians, you get stupid ones, you get good lads doing it, and d1ck heads, you get clever plasterers, you get thick ones, you get good lads.....etc etc, same for every 'profession' in the world, the RM is no different.

:applaus::applaus::applaus:

S

Sotiris

Hmmmm...you used the wrong term if you didn't want to offened anyone.

Let me get this straight. You want to try for YO because you don't like the idea of living with the "scum of the earth"? Haha as an officer you're going to have to lead these people in combat! You wouldn't make it through selection let alone training with that attitude.

And starting a sentence with "no offence" and ending it with something offensive is simply moronic. I have served as a soldier with no rank so I must really be scum. Sorry to nay say your efforts to negate your stupidity but I do take offence, and in the wise words of Gordon Ramsay:

F"ck off.

DJ LOZZA

Reaction score
scum!????

Mr crystal19.With an attitude like the one you seem to have I wouldnt even bother applying to join the forces full stop!!!Every one deserves to have the chance to join the royal marines,no matter what class of person.At the end of the day at the end of 8 months training you would be willing to die for one another,and what class of person they are will be totally irrelevant.I found what you said slightly offensive,as i am from a working class background.Would you think of me as "scum of the earth"or have i missed your point??

Paul-M

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
And starting a sentence with "no offence" and ending it with something offensive is simply moronic.

Was that aimed at me ? I didn't say anything offensive, I simply said there is bound to be cartain people of a lower standard aswell as the great men.

Two of my best friends from high school are in the army and I spent two years aspiring to join the army before deciding on the Marines, so I would never insult the army, and to suggest I did would simply suggest you didn't read my post properly.

Sorry if it wasn't aimed at me, but I didn't see the words "no offence" in the OP, so it seemed like it was.

S

Sotiris

No hehe not you,

I was talking to chrystal.

Sorry I should have been more clear.

chrystal19

Reaction score
Hmmmm...you used the wrong term if you didn't want to offened anyone.

Let me get this straight. You want to try for YO because you don't like the idea of living with the "scum of the earth"? Haha as an officer you're going to have to lead these people in combat! You wouldn't make it through selection let alone training with that attitude.

And starting a sentence with "no offence" and ending it with something offensive is simply moronic. I have served as a soldier with no rank so I must really be scum. Sorry to nay say your efforts to negate your stupidity but I do take offence, and in the wise words of Gordon Ramsay:

F"ck off.

I accept that "scum of the earth" was the wrong term. I apologise. It has nothing to do with class, or anything like that. A person I knew once said he wanted to join the army, "*text deleted* i *text deleted* kill people". I have different reasons for wanting to join the marines and was actually trying to ask how the selection process filters these people out.

At no point did I say that junior ranks are "scum of the earth". I firmly stated that I really wanted to become one!

You made up your own mind about what I meant, and then told me to "*text deleted* off".

Great reasoning skill evident. Could I take the same level of offence i have imposed on you?

S

Sotiris

It's a free world, of course you can.

I don't need to take the time to speculate who might of said what to you throughout your lifetime. Frankly I don't care. On the basis of not knowing exactly what you meant, I got offended. However, it's one thing to misread someone's post and another to write something without care or thought, without explaining yourself properly.

In this instance you are guilty of the latter.

I have served along side many people who were messed up in the head. I have also made the best friends I will ever make.

I can assure you that no matter what level of the armed forces you enter you will meet some wonderful people. Don't worry about the few maniacs out there. And for certain, the RM selection process will weed out most of them.

chrystal19

Reaction score
It's a free world, of course you can.

I don't need to take the time to speculate who might of said what to you throughout your lifetime. Frankly I don't care. On the basis of not knowing exactly what you meant, I got offended. However, it's one thing to misread someone's post and another to write something without care or thought, without explaining yourself properly.

In this instance you are guilty of the latter.

I have served along side many people who were messed up in the head. I have also made the best friends I will ever make.

I can assure you that no matter what level of the armed forces you enter you will meet some wonderful people. Don't worry about the few maniacs out there. And for certain, the RM selection process will weed out most of them.

Thank you, I did not explain what I meant very well. Rest assured it was just the few maniacs I was refering too. Sorry again. Becoming a RM is a dream for me.

S

Sotiris

Thank you, I did not explain what I meant very well. Rest assured it was just the few maniacs I was refering too. Sorry again. Becoming a RM is a dream for me.

No problem. I to apologise for my barbaric, linguistical adventure in an attempt to seek wrongful redemption :shakehands:.