decrease running time

justin123

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
the other night i ran my first PJFT run, not on a treadmill on the raod, i got 11:43 for the first run then on the return 10:40 i know why i was slow had to put the dog lead and i made a not in it (don't know how) i know it isnt really an excusse.

i was just wondering has anyone got any tips to decrease the return time i seen some people who had 8:50, i mean how on earth? i do sprints and 3 mile runs unlternit nights with a rest twice a week, any advice is welcomed. (sorry for bad spelling)

LGretton

Reaction score
Hi, have you got a good pair of running shoes? see i train quite a bit in the week because i go boxing 3 times a week and do and Army Prep course which is just full fitness, find a route 2 miles away jog it at a nice pace, dont rush into your runs straight away, make sure you've warmed up, then each time you do it just keep pushing yourself, open your legs a bit wider, faster, if you want it you'll do it

say on a monday you do 3 miles times, write it in a little book then on friday do another timed one write it but in the week do steady runs, see if it improves

justin123

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
cheers for the reply and yeah i have top noch running shoes, i noticed the differences when i first got them, at the moment i have been running 3 milers without timing them till last night and i noticed i really pushed my self. i think i will time my self each night.

DCM_88

Reaction score
Firstly I would suggest, not doing your first 1.5miles so quickly, aim to do it in exactly 12:30, they will pace you for this, this will leave you with a bit more energy for the return.

Im in the same boat as you im trying hard to get it under 10:30 too, after doing 3 miles all the time, I was told I should be doing 4 and 6 mile runs and to get them down to 7 mins/mile before I would be ready for PRMC.

Basically dont just focus on trying to pass the PJFT, think of the end game!

There's a plaque on the wall of the RM fitness hall that says "It Will Come" ... i.e. keep working at it.

Hill sprints are one of the best ways to build fitness

justin123

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
yeah shame there isnt any big hills near me, and i ran 4 miles the other night got board with 3 mile run so ran another way. and i thought that 11:40 run wasnt that bad and if i drop the first run down a minute it wont make that much diffference will it?

DCM_88

Reaction score
You dont need that much of a hill for hill sprints, anything 100meters long, sprint as hard as you can up, then jog back down slowly, and repeat, you should be knackered after 8 runs, no matter how fit you are if your running your maximum speed.

Yeah try it in 12:30 and see, I reckon you will be under 10:30 return. :rock:

justin123

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
yeah i do 1.5 mile run before my sprints as a warm up and do 200 meter sprints and after 8 i am knackered, gasping for air afterwards if anyone saw me they would think i am dieing. just seeing people can do it 8:50 and i would like to be an officer and hearing that in prmc that grade B's and A's will be accepted has really put me to think i need to decrease my run time.

DCM_88

Reaction score
Yeh well the 8:50 runners... some of them are lying, a few are naturally gifted runners, and the majority will have spent ages working there time down second by second, You have to be patient and determined, If it was easy everyone would be a commando officer :toung:

justin123

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
like your thinking, you planning to join the marines? and yeah i know a freind who is one of those natural runners and his dad is a marine as well so i guess like father like son

DCM_88

Reaction score
Yeh I decided a year ago it was what I wanted to do, *text deleted** done Uni, so I could go in for officer, and probably will, but very few get through, so failing that I would more than happily apply to be a marine! what about you, when you thinking of applying?

justin123

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
in the first year of sixth form and hating it and i enjoy fitness so i am off to college in september to become a fitness instructor, i don't think uni will be fore me so hopefully after college i will get into the 2013 batch, i know your thinking this guys a kid, i have wanted to be in the marines for a year as well, and this wednesday i went to the carrers office and started my application just so i can understand everything but also be better prepared, sorry for the essay.

DCM_88

Reaction score
Fair play mate, I know the feeling of wanting to drop out and just join up, Uni was awesome realy, If you realy want to be a marine officer, your much more likely to get in with a degree and being a little bit older and wiser.
As for Alevels Im not realy one to talk i didnt do great, but for the sake of another year at school, I would just take a "man up pill" and do them, its only a year... but hey its your call.
Plus when they ask you why did you leave 6th form and you say "I gave up" they will be like "so you think you have the determination to be a marine?" :weird:

Fitness instructor does sound like a good idea though I have though about doing that but i want to prioritise my training, Green berets the aim:rolleyes:

justin123

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
the main reason i am leaving is so that become a fitness instructor it will give me a job when i finish but also gain me fitness for the POC, but another reason is because at college i will be able to do duke of edin award and be able to get a part time job all of which is better for my CV i think and also i am not do to good at A-levels so i think if i leave even though it does look 'weak' in the long run i will have more job experiance and more leadership becaus of duke of edin. so i think thoses will counter balance me leaving. but i will be 19 when i finish the course and opens door toward uni if i want to go, which a-levels for me won't. but again i see your point as well.

DCM_88

Reaction score
Yeh mate you *text deleted* make your own decisions, I was just giving ya food for thought. Keep working at it and who knows might see you on POC or officer training! good luck mate

justin123

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
yeah, still got 2 years for my application to finish and same to you green lid is the goal

LGretton

Reaction score
Have you not thought about doing a army prep course or pre uniformed services, I'm doing an army Prep now, guy who runs in is an ex pit so he knows how to get the best out of us, if your late press ups, forget a pen 1.5 mile run go

justin123

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
no i havent can you tell me more like how to start it? i live near hull and there is a few EX-army/ marine guys and then take you for a 2mile run to a stadium in hull then they do the PJFT run on the track and then as a cool down a 2 mile jog back, my mate who is 29th week of marine training did that he got onto it so i might start doing that.

LGretton

Reaction score
Well I do mine through a college so get paid to go which is good, they ask us to do some paper work but it's pointless so we do one hour a week instead of the 6 the college ask us to do, they'll never no because it's at a youth club not the college, because of funding cuts the days have been cut from 3 days to 2 but *text deleted** means we get hammered with more fitness but in the week we stillneed to keep fitness up cause it will go down again, on a Tuesday the army come in show us stuff, take us out, always do at least a 3 miles with them, Wednesday is mostly fitness, do all sorts go to he local gym for weights, stupid miles runs, personal fitness test which can hurt because you don't no what to expect, slightest thing wrong, word said get beastsd, hurts but it will pay of and you *text deleted** got to deal with it I guess

justin123

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
i am got offered for an interview to march fot hull college so i will ask if i can get a day off to do it cause it is in the mornings. and yeah you get paid to do and it increasing your fitness so you are doing something good as well as getting paid.

LGretton

Reaction score
Yeh I still get ?30 ema for going and when it stops my college is giving the ?30 out themselves so you sill get paid to go, so when it stops fully in July or whenever my college will still give it out, and I use ?5 a week of it to go boxing Monday, Wednesday an Friday so more fix there, if you want something you work hard towards it, pain is tempary, green beret is forever

New Threads