Deep freeze/ deep heat allowed in training?

JackJ1997

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I was just wondering when you are in recruit training, I know you can take painkillers as long as you go to med bay to be prescribed them but was wondering if you could just take deep freeze or deep heat with you? As not medicine?
Thanks

Chelonian

Reaction score
As not medicine?

I'm not qualified to give a definitive answer but @The guide might give you a steer if he spots this. But basically, once someone is in the CTCRM medical loop it's almost certainly advisable to seek advice from med professionals rather than cracking one's own routine.

The guide

Careers Advisor
Reaction score
Deep heat is fine, it is basically a vasodilator by agitation , so shifts blood around the area it is applied to. Just be wary as it masks aches and pains which are present for a reason , but yes you can use it.

JackJ1997

Reaction score
Okay great, thanks very much for the two replies guys, really appreciate that. And okay great I’ll take some down with me then

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Just for clarity for forum users, the idea of the forum is to share the knowledge for the benefit of those that may have similar questions.

As a matter of interest, has anyone recently been told that deep heat cannot be used at CTC?

My thanks to @The guide for another handy phrase to drop into a converstation: 'vasodilator by agitation'. I'll be using that in the pub tonight :)

geekchic

Reaction score
Apologies-this is a very basic question, but I daren't assume anything!

When you say 'painkillers from med centre', does this mean recruits can't self administer paracetamol and ibuprofen? ie take some with them?

Chelonian

Reaction score
When you say 'painkillers from med centre', does this mean recruits can't self administer paracetamol and ibuprofen? ie take some with them?

Only items on the joining kit list should be taken to CTCRM. About ten years ago some non-prescription meds such as paracetamol were on the RM joining list but they were withdrawn from that list some years ago.

One major factor is that if Recruits are self-medicating a potential conflict might arise if other meds are prescribed after assessment by the medical centre. So called supplements such as vitamins are banned for a similar reason.

I understand that this remains the official line. But @The guide might confirm or otherwise if he spots this.

HEF_RM

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
We got it taken off us within the first day of foundation, weren't allow any pain relive or creams

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Frankie11 Deep Freeze Jollies Bar 3
Ross154 Deep Heat or Deep Freeze? Common Training Injuries 8
N 16 Weeks deep!! General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat 19