Defence spending increase

bigsprinter05

Reaction score
Apparently Boris just announced that defence spending will increase by £24 billion over the next 4 years, with the biggest focus on the Navy. What are everyones hopes that this is real and not just empty words? It seems doubtful in my mind given the governments recent history on defence spending and obviously the massive increase in government debt due to covid. If it does happen, What noticeable change will we see in the marines, i.e more deployments, greater amphibious capability, better kit, more options for training etc ?

Rob20

Royal Marines Commando Moderator
Reaction score
Apparently Boris just announced that defence spending will increase by £24 billion over the next 4 years, with the biggest focus on the Navy. What are everyones hopes that this is real and not just empty words? It seems doubtful in my mind given the governments recent history on defence spending and obviously the massive increase in government debt due to covid. If it does happen, What noticeable change will we see in the marines, i.e more deployments, greater amphibious capability, better kit, more options for training etc ?
From what I've read, it seems like we're investing more into Cyber, Intelligence and EW areas. We certainly need to catch up in that area I believe. I think at our level we can expect to see big advancements in drone capability