Definite Answers?!

DamageInc85

Reaction score
Guys,

I'm having problems with the following questions:

If on completion of training, you are given a trade or branch you do not want, what is the minimum compulsory time you have to serve in that branch?

What was the Corps last major battle honour?

Having looked on this site (and others) it appears there are about 3 different answers kicking about for each question. So, if sombody has the definitive answer to each, I would be very grateful.

Also, am I right in thinking that when you sign up, you sign up for 22 years?

Ta.

M1664

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
you sign up for 18 years.

last major battle honour was iraq i think.

minimum to stay at an unwanted branch is 2 years i think.

long time since i did my interview though so might be wrong.

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Full career is for a term of 18 years, or until age 40, whichever is later.

If you wish to leave before full term you may:

A) Claim your right of discharge within first 6 months of entry
b) apply to do so by giving 12 months notice to CO

Earliest date new entrant can submmit 12 months notice to leave is 2 years 6 months from completion of taining.

If you elect to leave before completing full service, then you will be placed on initial period of reserve liability. If you complete full, you will be in recall reserve.

They gave a grilling on the contract etc, you HAVE to know this.

encn

Reaction score
Re: Battle honours

This comes up a lot and there are different answers everywhere. So I did some digging around and as far as I can see the perfect answer goes like this:

"Full Battle honours are normally incorporated into a regiments Bagde/Colours, so technically the RM's last Battle honour would be the battle for Belle Island (the Laurels) since the globe denotes their success in every corner of the world (no need for new battle honours). Before that would have been Gib (Word Gibralter under the crown, refering to taking of Gib in 1704). HOWEVER (worth saying this to prove you know your stuff); It could be said that the last Battle honour, or at least memorable date, was Iraq 2003 (taking of Al Faw) and before that the falklands (1982, for all you young'uns out there).

That should pretty much insure you top marks I reckon.

Loz

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I thought it was the Falkland's 1982. Think thats what it says on my sheet, I'll have a look when I get home.

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
Guys it is being investigated and a definite answer if there is one will be given shortly.

It is not clear cut and memorable dates and battle honours do merge in some people's eyes and not others.

Lumley

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
off subject, this is a very useful answer by ENCN, thanks.

Ben

Reaction score
Question 20 on the Corps knowledge questionnaire I got for the PRMC says SBS stands for Special Boat Squadron. That right? I thought it was Special Boat Service.

encn

Reaction score
off subject, this is a very useful answer by ENCN, thanks.

Thanks Mate. Always nice to hear its helpful.

Question 20 on the Corps knowledge questionnaire I got for the PRMC says SBS stands for Special Boat Squadron. That right? I thought it was Special Boat Service.

Formed from the Boat squadron of 1 SAS and Special Service (commando) Brigade, during WWII. Became known as the Special Boat Squadron until changing their name to the Special Boat Service in 1987 - you've *text deleted* love Wikipedia!

Ben

Reaction score
Cheers for the info. Sheets a bit out of date then.

1987, that makes the SBS the same age as me.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
ENCN's post is indeed usefull.

It's an interesting one really as the Royal Navy bestows "battle honours" on warships involved in certain actions and they are then carved into a highly polished wooden "honours board" which is usually positioned outside the Wardroom (Officers mess) on a war canoe at sea & on the outside of the ship when it's alongside.

HMS_Nottingham_Battle_Honours.JPG

The one above is HMS Nottingham's Honours Board

US warships often actually paint large medal ribbons on both sides of the bridge denoting which campaigns the ship has been invoved in for which medals were awarded.

According to the Royal Navy Historical Society, the Corps has "Memorable Dates" rather than marking individual battle honours (because they have been involved in so many battles, serving with distinction worldwide) and the last Major Memorable Corps date is indeed the Falklands, however there are also individual Unit memorable dates of which Al Faw has yet to be officially recognised as such, although it is marked as such by individual units.

Interestingly the "Gibraltar" battle honour is the only one listed as a named battle honour & yes the Laurel Leaves (Belle Isle) commemorate the battle of, but when all's said and done...the clue is in the Globe.

Rather than suggesting the question is wrong, if you can remember all this at interview, you're doing OK.

I'm more than happy to stand corrected on this issue, but it's the best I could do for the time being!

Nelson8

Reaction score
ENCN'S post is in deed useful so I hope im not stepping on toes, but the information that I have found on this matter suggests that the last major battle honour for the corp was Gibraltar and the individual units 40,42,45 commando don't carry individual battle honours like their army counterparts, this being because the globe itself is used as an honour of the corp. The “Great Globe itself” surrounded by the laurels was chosen by King George the 4th for the success they had in all parts of the world. The laurels are there due to the honor and bravery that they presented during the capture of Belle Isle in 1761, and although the seige of Gibraltar occured in 1704 it wasn't until 1827 that it was awrded to them by King George the 4th. Therfore I believe that the last major battle honour bestwoed on the Royal Marines is in fact Gibraltar. Hope this helps.