Degree whilst a Officer

Discussion in 'RM Officer questions' started by ShaggyDolphin99, Nov 20, 2015.

1. ShaggyDolphin99

ShaggyDolphin99 New Member

Just a few questions about earning a degree whilst in the Marines. When would you start it? (During YO training, your year as a troop commander, etc) How long would it take? (assuming longer than at Uni because you have all the responsibilities of an officer as well) What courses are available?

2. ShaggyDolphin99

Does anyone know?

3. VerlorenHoop

VerlorenHoop Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Is this something you can do? Are you referring to to that bit on the website/brochure/wherever it was where it says "university short courses are available in management or IR"?

4. Duff1996

Duff1996 Member

App Stage:
    Awaiting selection after AIB pass
    Think you get one if you go through staff college, not sure though

• Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

You can do an OU degree after training as an Other Rank or as an Officer if you wish or can undertake one whilst on staff course at Shrivenham when you are a Captain.

Before you plan too far ahead - sit the recruit test.

• Like Like x 2
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  6. ShaggyDolphin99

No, I'd heard that a degree was available to earn whilst in the Marines, so instead of going to Uni, I would just go straight for the Marines.
    I know, I just wanted to be sure that it was possible to earn a degree whilst your serving.

7. VerlorenHoop

VerlorenHoop Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    I am obviously not a mega high authority in these things but I am trying to help - are you maybe thinking of sponsorship that is sometimes offered? I feel like it would be very strange if you were working towards a full bachelors degree while also working full time. Again I don't claim to know it all but I think one of us must be grossly mistaken.

8. Rossi

Rossi Royal Marines Commando

I'm currently completing a degree, there are options available, and as a commissioned rank you will have more time to conduct study, dependant on your role and posting. It is a juggle with full time degree reading, contact hours and working fulltime, the corp won't pay for your study in most cases more than a contribution.

Why not go to University and join the RM on completion? This is my second degree the first I completed before joining and I think its a benefit to experience both types of life if you have the oppertunity.

• Like Like x 1
  9. ShaggyDolphin99

I'm considering everything. It would be very difficult to balance working full time wit earning a degree, but If I'm going to do Level 3 after my Level 2 then I wont be able to start Uni till after them. Ill be close to 24 when I apply, that's 2 years younger than the maximum age for an applicant wanting to be an officer. It just feels like I'm cutting it a little too close.

10. VerlorenHoop

VerlorenHoop Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    No reason you couldn't apply toward the end of uni and get the application process done. To my mind it's easier that way than trying to get fit and get the mindset around full time work commitments

11. ShaggyDolphin99

I guess so, I'll make sure to give it plenty of thought.

12. Ninja_Stoker

Before you give it too much thought - sit the recruit test.

Find out what options are realistically attainable now...then decide what you want to do about careers/further education. Build your career aspirations on solid foundations - not assumptions based on theoretically attained qualifications. Qualifications don't always mean Commission.

You will be well and truly hacked-off if you have underestimated the standards required after investing years based on presumptions. Narrow-down your options, know your attainable aspirations.

Good luck.

13. Omega

Omega Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Mate, not having a go, but before deciding to study psychology for two years at A level, see if you can spot a potential pitfall

• Like Like x 1
  14. ShaggyDolphin99

Nah it's cool but I'm unfamiliar with what a "potential pitfall" is.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Polo

Polo Member

Maybe not spelling psychology correctly?

• Like Like x 2
  16. ShaggyDolphin99

Wow.............that's kinda humiliating :eek:

17. Ninja_Stoker

Whilst it doesn't matter one jot here, it is true that potential officers will be toast on AIB if their written essays are not grammatically correct. It is better that Officer applicants are aware of this now, rather than find this out the hard way.

• Like Like x 1
  18. ShaggyDolphin99

Understandably. Will work on that :D