Degrees while serving

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Surely in the average unit youd struggle to find time?
People still manage it. It's not a quick fix, most take around six years to gain a degree. The best time to make progress is to crack your studies when deployed overseas.

m2013

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Oh i didnt realise thrre was no time constraint

D

Deleted member 20902

I recently asked my education centre about A Levels/Degrees and was told if your in your last 2yrs of service you can study anything. However if you haven’t put your chit in and want further education the course has to benefit the Corp.

For example:

Royal Marines Police - Certificate in knowledge of Policing

Combat Intelligence - Strategical planning Diploma

Anyone got any more info on this?

D

dodgyknees

I recently asked my education centre about A Levels/Degrees and was told if your in your last 2yrs of service you can study anything. However if you haven’t put your chit in and want further education the course has to benefit the Corp.

For example:

Royal Marines Police - Certificate in knowledge of Policing

Combat Intelligence - Strategical planning Diploma

Anyone got any more info on this?

This is only the case if you want the Corps to fund it. If you have served 8 years you can use your enhanced learning credit to pay for any educational course you want within reason. There are also schemes that accredit your previously completed training against educational credit. Suprised your education centre didn't go through this with you.

sbradb

Reaction score
This is only the case if you want the Corps to fund it. If you have served 8 years you can use your enhanced learning credit to pay for any educational course you want within reason. There are also schemes that accredit your previously completed training against educational credit. Suprised your education centre didn't go through this with you.
Sorry just to clarify- does that mean you cannot study at all until you’ve served a minimum 8years? Or you just can’t use your enhanced learning credits to study for 8years?

R

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
They will only pay a portion towards your degree and the level of support you get will vary greatly depending on your role, draft and hierarchy. I completed an MBA this year. But when I started 3 years ago it was signed off during my previous draft. When I got my new draft they were less than supportive of the 4 days a month I took for personal development where I needed to physically be at lectures. It can however be done. It will just be abit of a grind juggling a fulltime job with study.

D

dodgyknees

Sorry just to clarify- does that mean you cannot study at all until you’ve served a minimum 8years? Or you just can’t use your enhanced learning credits to study for 8years?
You can study in your own time from day 1 if you have the time but are unlikely to get any additional funding from the military. Your enhanced learning credits kick in at the 8 year point which you can use against degree funding. The comment made by Rossi above highlights the need to plan against a number of scenarios. It takes a long time to get a degree part time and as such you must consider how your circumstances may change over he period of your study.

New Threads