Degrees

chrystal19

Reaction score
Anyone on here have a degree or A levels but want to join at commando level? Just wondering.

ZZ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
have equivilent to A levels.. dimploma really.. and was considering officer level but i wont be qualified enough and i would prefer to work my way up in all honesty.

chrystal19

Reaction score
Same really. I have 3 A levels but I think I would enjoy entry level much more.

mrdanie

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I want to go in at entry level, don't know why really, just going in for officer doesnt straight off appeal to me...i have 4 a levels and a degree though not at great standards. 3 Cs and a D A level and 2:2 Bsc Degree. But yeh for me i would like to work up to it.

S

Sotiris

I've got a good bag of grades and working on my degree at the moment.

I never used to think about YO training. Frankly everyone I've spoken to has said if you have the potential, do it. It provides a much more substantial career path. And let's cut the crap about "not in it for the money". We're in it to build a life style and some of us may have families to care for. YO pay is double that of Marine pay, and that's just at the start.

In addition it's far more challenging. Not only the selection process but physically and mentally as well.

I can assure you that any member of the Corps or armed forces you talk to will tell you to try for YO if you're got the grades.

Qwerty123

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Yes mate!

Have wanted to be a Marine since doing GCSE's but slogged on with the learning to get some good qualifications, make the parents happy and all that jazz.

All being well I should graduate at the end of the next academic year, then time to sack all the education b0ll0x and turn an ambition into reality and i can't wait.

So glad i know what i want to be, rather than all these people that graduate then just get "a job" that earns money.

Sounds like quite a few people do this mate so don't worry about not fitting in during training.

smallzy

Reaction score
Yeah I sat 4 Highers this years(A Levels). English, Physics, Biology, Business.

I get the results the day after my interview on my 18th birthday :bigsmile:

I'm expecting good grades but *text deleted* if everything goes well with my interview I don't give a *text deleted**text deleted*. Everyone keeps asking me why i'm not going in as an Officer and it pisses me off when I have to explain. I JUST DON'T WANT TO.

Priar

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I have a 2:1 degree (Hons) in Computer Networking and Communications.
I'm too old to enter as an officer (26). Just missed the deadline. :smile:

I think I'll be happy enough roughing it with all you dumb *text deleted**text deleted**text deleted**s... just kidding. :wink:
A degree doesn't make you a better person than anyone else, it doesn't demonstrate leadership, it simply demonstrates your understanding of a particular subject.

I'm more than happy to work my way up as an NCO and should the opportunity arise to gain a Corp commission I'd jump at the chance, but I'm not going to hold my breath. They only give out like 7 a year, is that right?

Babybell

Reaction score
Ive got the qulifications, and providing I get this module Im working done on time (And passed it of course :P) I will also have a degree.

My biggest problem is that, like Priar was saying, having a degree only shows that you have the ability to stick with something and also have a higher understanding in certain fields...Saying that I have been studying computer animation for the last three years and I bet there are people who have been teaching themseleves who are better at it than me. (In fact I know it. Im probably going to end up with a 3rd, but in the end a degree is a degree.)...

Im still considering going in as a rating as I would have to do exceptionaly well at the POC and AIB to get into the top 50. I havent had a job in two years and I've got no examples of leadership/responsability since secondary school.

If i gave myself another year or two I think I could be quite succesful and get onto YO training. (I wonder if I am digging myself a hole saying that?) Its just as it is, I am definatly not physicaly ready for POC, hell I probably would struggle doing the PRMC! Im training the best I can, and Im as fit as I have ever been, just still need to push myself harder!

Mentaly, thats a tough one to answer. I dont know how well I could handle being succesful at both POC and the AIB but then get told I didnt make the top 50. I suppose if you pass both then you are given the option to go in as a rating? I know that if you pass POC but fail the AIB you have to still do the PRMC.

Sotiris made a very good point too. I see people say that there not in it for the money as well. There will be a time when these people realise that the wage is more important than they let on.

So to answer the question, Im still not quite sure.

AdmiralAwesome

Reaction score
I've got a bunch of good grades at A-Level, but I'm looking to go in as a Marine. I'd hope to work my way up to Sergeant level. I just like the idea of being an NCO... you know, having authority over the men but still able to be 'mates', well more so than an officer would be able. At the moment, I'd be far more interested in leading a section in a firefight than being more 'stand-offish' as an officer should be... Both jobs are equally important, but I just prefer the first.

As for the whole money thing, at this moment in time I'd do the job for room and board - I don't have any plans for marriage, or kids. That may change... but at the moment I'm a millitant bachelor.

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I got a BTEC National Diploma at grade DDD (Distinction), apparently equal to 3 A levels at A grade. Good job they have recently changed the standards to allow for this.

I am about to start my BSc Degree in Computer Science. I don't think it will give you a better chance at the Officer app process but like Ninja says it will give a grounding in life experience. I plan to join the OTC for some leadership experience, as well as start my Duke of Edinburgh Gold Award, and get some work placements and managerial experience.

As the RMRO said, you want a role where you are constantly challenged and pushed outside of your comfort zone. I guess I don't know if I'm suited for the role of Officer unless a try. And if you fail the POC or AIB then you will know it is not right for you and make a different career choice.

Looking at it though ratings tend to have a longer career than Officers. Some Officer may never get the chance of promotion and go beyond the rank of Captain if they are not performing up to the standards. Someone told me many Officers will go back into civvy street into their late 20's because of this. Ratings have better chances there at least...

chrystal19

Reaction score
I've got a bunch of good grades at A-Level, but I'm looking to go in as a Marine. I'd hope to work my way up to Sergeant level. I just like the idea of being an NCO... you know, having authority over the men but still able to be 'mates', well more so than an officer would be able. At the moment, I'd be far more interested in leading a section in a firefight than being more 'stand-offish' as an officer should be... Both jobs are equally important, but I just prefer the first.

As for the whole money thing, at this moment in time I'd do the job for room and board - I don't have any plans for marriage, or kids. That may change... but at the moment I'm a millitant bachelor.

How come you don't see yourself beyond Sergeant? Or do you mean do 10-12 years and then leave?

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Was going to join as YO originally, but the after RT lifestyle of a YO doesn't appeal to me too much. Hence going in as OR, i'd rather be one of the lads and get a corps commission if the possibility comes up later on.

AdmiralAwesome

Reaction score
How come you don't see yourself beyond Sergeant? Or do you mean do 10-12 years and then leave?

I meant it generally, but as I understand, you spend a lot of time at Sergeant/Colour Sergeant level before advancing to WO2?

WO1's and WO2's are awesome creatures. I remember in Army Cadets, meeting Colonels from various Regiments when on weekends away etc, even once a Brigadier, and not being fussed. But in our battalion there was an RSM adult instructor who'd been a former regular RSM. Everyone loved and feared him in equal measures. If you wanted to bitch about one of the officers, etc. you turned around and checked they weren't near. If you wanted to bitch about the RSM (not that you did), you'd get in a car, drive 200 miles away, then still whisper! He had this way of making you laugh even as he'd give you the worst punishment he could think of (and his were good.) If the RSM told you could survive jumping off a cliff, you'd jump, safe in the knowledge that he was infallible. Imagine being the sort of man that could inspire that sort of loyalty and respect in a bunch of spotty, anti-social, binge-drinking thirteen year olds?

Qwerty123

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Hehe AdmiralAwesome,
I have similar memories and admiration of the RSM from my time in cadets. Absolute legends - just don't piss them off:biggrin:

Latest posts

New Threads