Deployment question

Hawk78

Reaction score
Hi, I’m considering trying to join the RMR in a year or so, as I’m currently starting my own business. I was wondering what the required commitment is with regards to being deployed? I’m able for the weekly drill nights, weekends and 2-weeks away on exercise, but regularly having to be deployed for over a month at a time, I’m not sure I could make work with the running of the business as well. Is there a total expected time to be deployed, in say a 3/4, year service? I saw one of the ‘disadvantages’ of joining points on one of the feeds was that you have a high likelihood of being operationally mobilised for 12 months after you pass out?
Appreciate the help

R4Robotics

Spectator
Reaction score
Being mobilised isn’t really something to panic about unless all hell breaks loose.

as far as being deployed - don’t quote me on specifics - there was something that said you couldn’t be deployed more than once every x years, as like you say employers would get a little twitchy letting lads go every year for up to 6months at a time.

Currently deployments are few and far between, but tend to be for corporals and above. That said there are FTRS opportunities where you can join a commando unit for a period of time - 18months was the shortest last I heard.

one thing to note - deployments your salary will be matched. FTRS you are on pussers salary

Hawk78

Reaction score
Being mobilised isn’t really something to panic about unless all hell breaks loose.

as far as being deployed - don’t quote me on specifics - there was something that said you couldn’t be deployed more than once every x years, as like you say employers would get a little twitchy letting lads go every year for up to 6months at a time.

Currently deployments are few and far between, but tend to be for corporals and above. That said there are FTRS opportunities where you can join a commando unit for a period of time - 18months was the shortest last I heard.

one thing to note - deployments your salary will be matched. FTRS you are on pussers salary
Okay sounds good, I’m obviously happy to deploy if necessary as that’s part of the role, but as long as they won’t be too regular and for long periods of time, I’ll be able to fit that around the business. Will go ahead with my application then. Cheers for the reply!

DutyWretch

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Service as a Marine Commando is probably unsuitable if you require a year planner.

Jaykay2343

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
It's good that you are keen to join and commit.

But what are your reasons to join if you couldn't commit to a 6 month tour whether that be combat/humanitarian/maritime or even training teams.?

Even a 3 month Norway deployment?

Hawk78

Reaction score
Service as a Marine Commando is probably unsuitable if you require a year planner.
Haven’t got a problem with the short notice or uncertainty, just trying to see if I could make the amount of time away work with the day job

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score

Just to chip in, wages are matched however running a business brings different aspects that won’t be covered by RM. So could end up worse off.

I remember a lad having a gripe with it, I’ll see if I can get more information.

I disagree with the Cpls and above, lads are getting smashed with “compulsory” deployments straight out of training.

There was talk of a change to the contract to mandate that an RMR had to deploy within X amount t of years of passing out or be let go. I’m unsure of how true that is.

It's good that you are keen to join and commit.

But what are your reasons to join if you couldn't commit to a 6 month tour whether that be combat/humanitarian/maritime or even training teams.?

Even a 3 month Norway deployment?

RMR tours would Be a year. predeployment training then the tour and post operational leave. FTRS contracts are a year long.
Norway for RMR is only 3 weeks. Which is awkward in itself for RMR and civilian employment but that last RMR Norway was popular and ran well.

One of the main points lads are trying to push up is shorter deployments, taking a year out of a civilian job, skill fade, set back for promotion and pay etc etc aren’t suitable for everyone and lads would have liked the capability to jump in and out of training with their regular counterparts.

Collieryboy

Reaction score
@ThreadpigeonsAlpha I'm sure the RMR put something on social media a few months ago detailing the process and RROP. In one stage of the process after training they had a deployment and someone asked if that meant compulsory and they said something like "we want our reserves to serve alongside their regular counterparts". It didn't come across well to me.

CarrotOrStick

Royal Marines Reserve Officer
Reaction score
The RMR mobilization discussion seems to polarize opinion on here, it is hoofing the questions are being asked and people who have lived it are coming forwards are giving a range of viewpoints but I'd like to come in with a few facts about the process.

The only engagement longer than a two week annual camp as a pure reservist (i.e. not mobilized or FTRS) is Norway and this is something that RMR ranks put themselves forwards for. Norway attendance has never been mandatory and can be done if a rank is willing and able to get the time off work.

Being mobilized generates a lot of confusion on this forum. It is significantly better for RMR ranks to get "Direct mobilized" or "Compulsory mobilized". This means that the Legal framework kicks in to protect the reservists employment. This does not mean they were forced to go. To my knowledge, no-one is being mobilized against their will. I am happy to be corrected if anyone knows of a hard example, however, I have never seen this happen. We consistently have enough volunteers for any mobilizations offered. The RMR proudly operates a policy of allowing individuals to put themselves forwards for mobilization which is the best possible scenario for everyone involved. During Coronavirus any ranks mobilized were volunteers and there was a large requirement there.

Legally, you cannot be mobilized for more than 12 months in a 3 year period. This is designed to protect your employment and your civilian life. You can, of course, opt out of this and mobilize more often.

Wages are matched when you mobilize and some civilian employment types (think self employment) do require more / higher proof of income which can cause issues. This is a good point to be aware of.

The RMR does actually supply a year planner to trained ranks in the form of a longcast. It shows any 2/3 week courses and all weekends. It is of course subject to change but helps you to plan annual leave with work etc.

There are significant opportunities for reservists to serve in 3Cdo Brigade alongside regulars at all ranks at the moment.

In short, it is not all doom and gloom. Many people join the RMR at a time when they couldn't deploy but can do the weekends and two week courses. They then adapt their lifestyle to suit a deployment they want to do. This is a significant undertaking but well worthwhile.

If in any doubt, engage with your local unit and ask them these questions directly. They can tailor their answers more to your situation than anyone on an anonymous forum.

Hawk78

Reaction score
The RMR mobilization discussion seems to polarize opinion on here, it is hoofing the questions are being asked and people who have lived it are coming forwards are giving a range of viewpoints but I'd like to come in with a few facts about the process.

The only engagement longer than a two week annual camp as a pure reservist (i.e. not mobilized or FTRS) is Norway and this is something that RMR ranks put themselves forwards for. Norway attendance has never been mandatory and can be done if a rank is willing and able to get the time off work.

Being mobilized generates a lot of confusion on this forum. It is significantly better for RMR ranks to get "Direct mobilized" or "Compulsory mobilized". This means that the Legal framework kicks in to protect the reservists employment. This does not mean they were forced to go. To my knowledge, no-one is being mobilized against their will. I am happy to be corrected if anyone knows of a hard example, however, I have never seen this happen. We consistently have enough volunteers for any mobilizations offered. The RMR proudly operates a policy of allowing individuals to put themselves forwards for mobilization which is the best possible scenario for everyone involved. During Coronavirus any ranks mobilized were volunteers and there was a large requirement there.

Legally, you cannot be mobilized for more than 12 months in a 3 year period. This is designed to protect your employment and your civilian life. You can, of course, opt out of this and mobilize more often.

Wages are matched when you mobilize and some civilian employment types (think self employment) do require more / higher proof of income which can cause issues. This is a good point to be aware of.

The RMR does actually supply a year planner to trained ranks in the form of a longcast. It shows any 2/3 week courses and all weekends. It is of course subject to change but helps you to plan annual leave with work etc.

There are significant opportunities for reservists to serve in 3Cdo Brigade alongside regulars at all ranks at the moment.

In short, it is not all doom and gloom. Many people join the RMR at a time when they couldn't deploy but can do the weekends and two week courses. They then adapt their lifestyle to suit a deployment they want to do. This is a significant undertaking but well worthwhile.

If in any doubt, engage with your local unit and ask them these questions directly. They can tailor their answers more to your situation than anyone on an anonymous forum.
Really appreciate the detailed reply, thank you.
Don’t want to seem as though I never want to be deployed, I definitely do, I’m just trying to learn if I could make it work with my job, as I’m keen to join and offer as much time as I can, but don’t want to commit to more than I’m realistically able to, due to the nature of being self-employed. If it were the case of not being as available initially after passing out (if I got to that point of course), but being able to adjust my work to suit and therefore deploy down the line that would be ideal, but completely understand if that wasn’t possible.
I’ll get in contact with my local unit as you suggested to find out more. Cheers

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Sadly so. Other reserve branch’s are far more flexible.
@ThreadpigeonsAlpha I'm sure the RMR put something on social media a few months ago detailing the process and RROP. In one stage of the process after training they had a deployment and someone asked if that meant compulsory and they said something like "we want our reserves to serve alongside their regular counterparts". It didn't come across well to me.

We had a behind the scenes discussion on this site after a newly passed out RMR tank was unsure of the wording of what was proposed as a “compulsory” And wanted to appeal it.

There has been at least 1 public case of someone being fired from their civilian employment for misleading them about “compulsory” training.
However it wasn’t specified if the RMR rank was misleading his employment or if RMR misled him which in turn cost him his job. I know which one I would put my money on.

I’ve had a few young marines newly passed out ask me about deployments and appealing as sometimes it’s made to appear it’s compulsory.

It’s well above my paygrade though.

Last edited:

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score

But 3 weeks is a long time for any civilian employer to approve of time of. The vast majority of civilian employment who are forward thinking enough to implement a Reserve Forces Policies only accommodate 2 weeks extra holidays. The rest would come out of personal holiday allowance, which for people with families/commitments isn’t possible.
If an employer doesn’t have a Reserve Forces policy, then time must be made up from personal holiday allowances. The legal minimum is 28 days a year. So 1 trip to Norway takes up a huge amount of that time.

And there’s a big difference between Knowingly volunteering and volunteering based on being misled about it being compulsory, which lads have been made to believe.

CarrotOrStick

Royal Marines Reserve Officer
Reaction score
But 3 weeks is a long time for any civilian employer to approve of time of. The vast majority of civilian employment who are forward thinking enough to implement a Reserve Forces Policies only accommodate 2 weeks extra holidays. The rest would come out of personal holiday allowance, which for people with families/commitments isn’t possible.
If an employer doesn’t have a Reserve Forces policy, then time must be made up from personal holiday allowances. The legal minimum is 28 days a year. So 1 trip to Norway takes up a huge amount of that time.

And there’s a big difference between Knowingly volunteering and volunteering based on being misled about it being compulsory, which lads have been made to believe.

Spot on. It also all depends on situation. Some employers are tolerant and for others it is more difficult. Bear in mind, the two weeks given off to train are normally fully paid so in effect you receive three weeks of RMR salary in return for taking one week of civilian holiday (+ LSA etc with Norway).