Deployments

chrystal19

Reaction score
In the marines do you ever get a permanent deployment abroad? Like in the army you may spend 3 years in Cyprus/Germany/Canada - is there anything like that in the marines, or all other non-operational deployments in the UK or aboard a ship?

Matt B

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
In the marines do you ever get a permanent deployment abroad? Like in the army you may spend 3 years in Cyprus/Germany/Canada - is there anything like that in the marines, or all other non-operational deployments in the UK or aboard a ship?
No not really. If you are an instuctor you can be posted to somewhere like Norway to teach Arctic warfare but you would only be there while there are Marines to instruct and as there are so few Marines they are not always abroad on training.

Take now for example, I believe I am right in saying that there are currently no Marines posted abroad on any training or operations, therefore there is nop need for any Marine to be on a foreign posting, permanent or otherwise.

Does that make sense?

chrystal19

Reaction score
Yeah. So if you joined say 42 Commando, the majority of your time will be spent in plymouth, unless you go on operation or training?

How often are training operations abroad taken?

Matt B

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Yeah. So if you joined say 42 Commando, the majority of your time will be spent in plymouth, unless you go on operation or training?

How often are training operations abroad taken?
Thats correctimundo. I think every marine does Norway once a year, (Artcic warfare, jumping in a hole in the ice with your burgen on.) and possibly Belize once a year, but its altered according to current affairs. If a huge war kicked off in the north pole, they aren't *text deleted* send you to belize every few months for jungle training.

You can expect to go abroad at least twice a year.