Developing endurance

MillwallAlex

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
in Sean Lerwills Haynes Royal Marines fitness manual he states the best and most simple way to increase distance is to basically run longer eg 2 miles, then 2.5 miles. I'm currently running at 8.7 mph (level 12 pace) for 4.5 miles and increasing it each time. Do you lot reckon this is decent training for the bleep test and my endurance? I do this twice a week along with 2 other running days.
So eventually I will be running at this pace for 6,7 miles. Is this a good way of training for endurance?

Hubb97

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Just going to add that there is no point trying to replicate a bleep test on a treadmill, the best and only way to practice for it is literally by doing it! I can get to level 14 Pace fairly comfortably on a treadmill but doing the real thing I only got to 10,6 on my RMAD so obviously that needs work. Sounds good for general fitness although I'd be inclined to ditch the treadmill and do most of your running outside if you're no where near PJFT stage yet. For endurance, I'd imagine you could get a lot further if you started out a lot slower.

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
in Sean Lerwills Haynes Royal Marines fitness manual he states the best and most simple way to increase distance is to basically run longer eg 2 miles, then 2.5 miles. I'm currently running at 8.7 mph (level 12 pace) for 4.5 miles and increasing it each time. Do you lot reckon this is decent training for the bleep test and my endurance? I do this twice a week along with 2 other running days.
So eventually I will be running at this pace for 6,7 miles. Is this a good way of training for endurance?

Have you applied yet?
Not having ago was just curious as I’ve seen posts from April asking about other fitness questions you wanted to no.
The application might take you 4 to 6 months to get to prmc or even longer so thought I’d throw that out there.

As for the endurance side of things with the beep test go to a local field put cones 20m apart and get the beep test on your phone or a speaker if you have one and learn that way so you can get used to the turning and test then.

I bought these few months ago https://www.networldsports.co.uk/mu...MIhIrPpeu51wIVAhwbCh2ANw58EAQYASABEgKcVfD_BwE
There very handy things to have!

What I do is on a field put 5 cones 4m apart over a distance of 20m.

High intensity shuttle runs so like sprint 1st cone run backwards run 2nd cone run backwards all the way to the 5th cone then when your back do body exercises such as..

10x pressups
10x squats
10x starjumps

Another thing I like to do is set out 2 different coulours certain distance apart so red and blue cones 40m distance 2 red and 2 blue 10m apart..

10m jog to red jog back

20m sprint to blue sprint back

30m jog to red jog back

40m sprint to blue sprint back

Things like this will get your heart racing and tire you out fairly quick but it’s very good for the endurance!.

To get to level 13 on the beep test there is 118 total runs so if you cant do the beep test that’s how many shuttles there is just under 1.5 mile and takes 12.36 to reach level 13 but with the constant stopping and turning makes it a lot harder than a normal 1.5mile run.

Sorry if I gone off a bit slightly ocd for detail *text deleted*

Good luck

MillwallAlex

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Have you applied yet?
Not having ago was just curious as I’ve seen posts from April asking about other fitness questions you wanted to no.
The application might take you 4 to 6 months to get to prmc or even longer so thought I’d throw that out there.

As for the endurance side of things with the beep test go to a local field put cones 20m apart and get the beep test on your phone or a speaker if you have one and learn that way so you can get used to the turning and test then.

I bought these few months ago https://www.networldsports.co.uk/mu...MIhIrPpeu51wIVAhwbCh2ANw58EAQYASABEgKcVfD_BwE
There very handy things to have!

What I do is on a field put 5 cones 4m apart over a distance of 20m.

High intensity shuttle runs so like sprint 1st cone run backwards run 2nd cone run backwards all the way to the 5th cone then when your back do body exercises such as..

10x pressups
10x squats
10x starjumps

Another thing I like to do is set out 2 different coulours certain distance apart so red and blue cones 40m distance 2 red and 2 blue 10m apart..

10m jog to red jog back

20m sprint to blue sprint back

30m jog to red jog back

40m sprint to blue sprint back

Things like this will get your heart racing and tire you out fairly quick but it’s very good for the endurance!.

To get to level 13 on the beep test there is 118 total runs so if you cant do the beep test that’s how many shuttles there is just under 1.5 mile and takes 12.36 to reach level 13 but with the constant stopping and turning makes it a lot harder than a normal 1.5mile run.

Sorry if I gone off a bit slightly ocd for detail *text deleted*

Good luck

I’m applying sometime this week

Hyperhippo

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score

Just going to jump on this thread, that is some awesome information @Mattys I’m glad I’ve come across this so thanks for putting that out there

Also that shuttle run session looks decent as well going to have to give that a go

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Just going to jump on this thread, that is some awesome information @Mattys I’m glad I’ve come across this so thanks for putting that out there

Also that shuttle run session looks decent as well going to have to give that a go

That’s no problem glad I can help.

When doing the runs try do it in joggers and hoody so your quite hot and sweaty to match the humidity of the gym as I expect doing it in a gym with 50 other blokes will become pretty hot and you won’t have the fresh air and wind blowing in your face *text deleted*.

Any other questions go ahead and ask always good to see how others train!

p04

Reaction score
interval training is the best way to increase cardiac output for example run 5 to 8 sets of a fast pace on the treadmill for say 0.4 miles each set and jog in between sets. practice the beep test at least 10 times in the run up to your prmc. i went from 10.3 to 12.2 in the space of 2 months

MillwallAlex

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
cheers guys good advice.
Currently I’m doing 4 running sessions per week, a BFT, a PJFT, and two endurance runs that increase in distance each time
U reckon I should include some interval training or shuttle running in there somewhere?

p04

Reaction score
cheers guys good advice.
Currently I’m doing 4 running sessions per week, a BFT, a PJFT, and two endurance runs that increase in distance each time
U reckon I should include some interval training or shuttle running in there somewhere?
switch your pjft for interval training, still using the treadmill. try and make at least 5 sets, which would make 3 miles in total, 8 would be better. start performing pjft mocks when youre closer to the date. interval training is much better at actually training you than simply testing out your pjft. the beep test is called a test for a reason and not a useful training tool for example. same way powerlifters dont hit 1 rep maxes through out the year in training and marathon runners dont run marathons in training

MillwallAlex

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
switch your pjft for interval training, still using the treadmill. try and make at least 5 sets, which would make 3 miles in total, 8 would be better. start performing pjft mocks when youre closer to the date. interval training is much better at actually training you than simply testing out your pjft. the beep test is called a test for a reason and not a useful training tool for example. same way powerlifters dont hit 1 rep maxes through out the year in training and marathon runners dont run marathons in training

Ok cheers mate I will do this.
So how exactly do the intervals work then? I’ve literally got it in my head that it’s 5 mins ok pace then 5 mins really really fast pace or is it more complicated than that?

p04

Reaction score
interval training is the best way to increase cardiac output for example run 5 to 8 sets of a fast pace on the treadmill for say 0.4 miles each set and jog in between sets. practice the beep test at least 10 times in the run up to your prmc. i went from 10.3 to 12.2 in the space of 2 months[/QUOTE
since youre on a treadmill, go by distance and not time lapsed. i personally would run at 15 kmh and 8.7kmh jogs as rest for 0.2 miles

p04

Reaction score
the idea is that youre running at a higher intensity for more miles than you would if you simply just went for a pb. its like a powerlifter training 8 sets of 3 with 80% of thier max which in turn would mean they completed 24 reps of 80% of thier max which is alot of volume and far better training than just simply doing 1 set of the same weight till failure which would equate roughly to only 6 reps for the workout

arny01

Ex Pongo.
Reaction score
If you want to increase the bleep test, which is a test of VO2 max. Then you need to do intervals until you either feel sick, or in many cases actually spew!! VO2 max training is seriously hard! And you should make sure your body is physically capable of that kind of training?? Just to cover my ass, I would recommend you seek medical approval before undertaking such training.

Caversham

RM Commando, Crossed The Bar 13/12/2020
Reaction score
Late to the party on this one, but I'm assuming that you have not passed your PJFT yet? If so, unless you are extremely confident of passing it, you should be concentrating on that. Practice it over and over again at whatever pace is required to get you over the line in a good time.

Once you have achieved that, then ditch the treadmill! You need to do your running outside in all weathers, not in the relative comfort of a gym on a treadmill. You will not be going anywhere near one at CTC, unless you pick an injury and end up in Hunter.

Do as others, such as @arny01 and @Mattys have suggested once you have passed PJFT and then start training for the PRMC. They are two different tests and each demands their own training regime.

Good luck

Alan

Latest posts

New Threads